|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Duke of Malfi?
(a) Ferdinand's son who is away at war.
(b) The Cardinal's son.
(c) The Duchess's son from her first marriage.
(d) The ruler of their part of the country.
2. During her imprisonment, what does the Duchess declare is the worst kind of torture?
(a) Sleep deprivation
(b) Physical torture
(c) Emotional torture
(d) Being ignored
3. After Ferdinand has gone mad, he is found wandering the streets carrying what?
(a) Dead body parts he has dug up out of graves.
(b) Pieces of dead animals.
(c) Foul-smelling potions and objects from a nearby doctor.
(d) Rotting vegetables and other items from the trash.
4. What does Ferdinand tell Bosola to do in regards to the Duke of Malfi?
(a) Go and seek his religious counsel.
(b) Ask him for money for the upcoming war.
(c) Write to him.
(d) Advise him about the problems in the local government.
5. What women are involved in the scheming of Act 3, Scene 3?
(c) The Old Woman
6. What has the Cardinal convinced the Pope to do with the Duchess's belongings?
(a) Take them as a gift for the church.
(b) Confiscate them.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Burn them.
7. What does the Cardinal ask Ancona to do?
(a) Bless him and Ferdinand before their journey.
(b) Banish the Duchess, her husband, and her children.
(c) Deliver a letter to Rome.
(d) Say a prayer that they will get more donations for the church.
8. The item Bosola brings to Antonio and the Duchess is originally from:
(b) Bosola himself
(c) The Cardinal
(d) The Count
9. Bosola believes he is haunted by:
(a) The Duchess's children
(b) The father he never knew
(c) His dead mother
(d) The Duchess
10. What is the Duchess's last statement before she dies?
(a) "Forgive me."
(c) "I forgive you."
11. Act 3, Scene 3 is a scene with many characters discussing a minor plot while a few other characters -- including Delio -- are making side comments and observing Ferdinand and the Cardinal. Delio's comments convey that he:
(a) Is beginning to respect Ferdinand, but not the Cardinal.
(b) Does not like or trust Ferdinand and the Cardinal.
(c) Is beginning to respect Ferdinand and the Cardinal.
(d) Is beginning to respect the Cardinal, but not Ferdinand.
12. When the Duchess sees the fake scene, what does she express?
(a) She has already taken poison, and will die soon.
(b) She will love her brothers, no matter how cruel they are to her.
(c) She wishes she were dead.
(d) She will find a way to break free.
13. Who murders Julia?
(c) The Cardinal
14. How does Delio feel about the Cardinal and Antonio's plan to confront him?
(a) He wants Antonio to forget the Cardinal, and move on with his life.
(b) He thinks it's the Cardinal's responsibility to come to talk to Antonio, not vice versa.
(c) He wants Antonio to take revenge on the Cardinal.
(d) He has a small hope that the Cardinal may have some compassion.
15. The Cardinal's career change is best described as:
(a) Very normal for someone of his wealth.
(b) A fantastic and unexpected promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Delio and Silvio make fun of Malateste for?
2. Act 3, Scene 3 is a scene with many characters discussing a minor plot. Who interrupts the scene to bring an important message to the Cardinal and Ferdinand about the Duchess?
3. How does Antonion feel about confronting the Cardinal with the hope of reconciliation?
4. The Cardinal makes Pescara, Malateste, Roderigo, and Grisolan promise him something, so that he can dispose of Julia's body. What is it?
5. What does Delio think of Antonio confronting the Cardinal with the hope of reconciliation?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)