|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which severed body part does Ferdinand give the Duchess during her imprisonment?
(a) A foot
(b) A leg
(c) A hand
(d) A head
2. Which community members does Ferdinand round up as part of his sister's torture?
(a) Madmen from the local hospital
(b) Priests to remind her of her sins
(c) Local soldiers trained in physical torture
(d) Sick people from the village
3. Antonio says he does not want to live his life "by halves." What does this mean?
(a) That he needs to get servants to help around the house.
(b) That he wants to remarry.
(c) That he doesn't want to live in hiding and in fear.
(d) That he wants to be rich again.
4. Who kills Antonio?
(c) His own son
(d) The Cardinal
5. What promise does Delio make Antonio before Antonio goes to confront the Cardinal?
(a) To fetch Antonio's son and come soon to support him.
(b) To leave the country with Antonio's only remaining son.
(c) To let Antonio handle the situation on his own.
(d) To bring a large army that is heavily armed.
6. Bosola believes he is haunted by:
(a) The Duchess
(b) The Duchess's children
(c) His dead mother
(d) The father he never knew
7. How is the Duchess murdered?
(a) By strangulation
(b) By poison
(c) By hanging
(d) By stabbing
8. The item Bosola brings to Antonio and the Duchess is originally from:
(a) The Cardinal
(b) Bosola himself
(c) The Count
9. What do the pilgrims think about the Duchess's choice to marry Antonio?
(a) It was expected, because the Duchess and Antonio were betrothed when they were very young.
(b) It was a blessing from God.
(c) It was surprising.
(d) She was obligated to marry him, since she had had his child.
10. What do the final comments from the pilgrims foreshadow?
(a) That the Duchess's daughter will get the plague.
(b) War from a neighboring country.
(c) Antonio's impending doom.
(d) The happiness in the future for Antonio and the Duchess.
11. What role do the pilgrims play toward the end of the scene where the Cardinal resigns his position?
(a) They serve as extras in the scene.
(b) They serve as means of showing what the townsfolk think of what has happened.
(c) They have no role since they never talk.
(d) They are a distraction from all of the action.
12. The Duchess tells Antonio about a dream she has. What does she describe happens in the dream?
(a) The diamonds in her crown are changed to pearls.
(b) The family reclaims its honor.
(c) The family takes a boat trip somewhere.
(d) The Duchess becomes queen.
13. When Antonio and Delio are talking about Antonio's plans to confront the Cardinal, something happens that causes Antonio's words to be repeated back to him. What is it?
(a) Nothing happens to cause Antonio's words to be repeated.
(b) A madman walking by who repeats everything Antonio says.
(c) An echo
(d) Delio is having problems hearing, so Antonio has to repeat himself.
14. When Antonio and the Duchess separate at the end of Act 3, Antonio takes with him:
(a) Their eldest son
(b) Their family crest
(c) All of their children
(d) What little money they have left
15. What do the pilgrims think about what the Cardinal does to the Duchess and her family?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) That it should have happened a long time ago.
(c) That it is completely warranted.
(d) That it is cruel and out of proportion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Delio and Silvio make fun of Malateste for?
2. How do Antonio and Delio decide to test the Cardinal's offer of reconciliation?
3. After Pescara responds to Julia's letter from the Cardinal, where does he say he is going?
4. What has happened to the number of the Duchess and Antonio's servants after Antonio and the Duchess leave Malfi?
5. The Cardinal makes Pescara, Malateste, Roderigo, and Grisolan promise him something, so that he can dispose of Julia's body. What is it?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)