|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After learning that the Cardinal is giving away Antonio's property, Antonio decides to try to:
(a) Sneak into the Cardinal's room that night.
(b) Frighten the Cardinal into a reconciliation.
(c) Die trying to reconcile if the Cardinal won't budge.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
2. What does Antonio think the Duchess's dream means?
(a) She will soon shed tears.
(b) She has seen the future, and will become queen.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) All of their wealth and power will soon be taken away.
3. The item Bosola brings to Antonio and the Duchess is originally from:
(a) Bosola himself
(b) The Cardinal
(d) The Count
4. When Cariola is being murdered, she:
(a) Fights and struggles.
(b) Stabs herself before the executioners can get to her.
(c) Throws herself on the Duchess's dead body.
(d) Takes poison to die more quickly.
5. The Cardinal's career change is best described as:
(a) A fantastic and unexpected promotion.
(c) Very normal for someone of his wealth.
6. Who murders Julia?
(b) The Cardinal
7. When the executioners enter the Duchess's chamber, what three items do they bring with them?
(a) A coffin, a small box for the Duchess's jewels, and her will
(b) A coffin, cords, and a bell
(c) A coffin, a letter from the Cardinal, and a necklace with a cross on it
(d) A coffin, knives, and a sheet
8. When Antonio and the Duchess separate at the end of Act 3, Antonio takes with him:
(a) Their family crest
(b) What little money they have left
(c) Their eldest son
(d) All of their children
9. What has the Cardinal convinced the Pope to do with the Duchess's belongings?
(a) Take them as a gift for the church.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Confiscate them.
(d) Sell them.
10. When Ferdinand descends into madness, what kind of creature does he think he is?
(a) A horse
(b) A werewolf
(c) An eagle
(d) A bear
11. Ancona is the name of:
(a) The Duchess's mother.
(b) The Duchess's daughter.
(c) The Duchess's sister.
(d) The town the Duchess and her family are banished from.
12. What do Delio and Silvio make fun of Malateste for?
(a) Giving too much money to the church.
(b) Not being a genuine soldier and only pretending to be one.
(c) Being too old to get married.
(d) Having a speech impediment.
13. What position is the Cardinal resigning from?
(b) Being in charge of the town's finances.
(d) Official historian of the town.
14. Antonio's murder was:
(b) Carried out exactly as planned.
(c) Carefully plotted for years.
(d) Not supposed to happen for another 3 weeks.
15. How is Julia murdered?
(a) She kisses a poisoned book.
(b) She is strangled.
(c) She is stabbed.
(d) She is drowned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the structure of Act 3, Scene 4?
2. Who is the Duke of Malfi?
3. What do the pilgrims think about what the Cardinal does to the Duchess and her family?
4. The Duchess tells Antonio about a dream she has. What does she describe happens in the dream?
5. Antonio says that he is glad to die when he hears the news of:
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)