|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Pope do the men of "Grace" commend as intellectual and highly admirable?
2. Who comes to look for Mr. Fanning in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room"?
3. What is the setting as "Grace" begins?
4. As "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" opens, what is Old Jack using to tend the fire?
5. How many characters from "Grace" go to church together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Farrington returns to his desk after the first time in the story Mr. Alleyne reprimands him?
2. What is the relationship between Maria, Joe, and Alphy in "Clay"?
3. What does the group of men in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" meet to discuss?
4. How does Mrs. Kernan deal with her husband's drinking bouts?
5. In "Clay", how do Maria's acquaintances think of Maria?
6. Describe Mr. O'Connor's appearance in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room".
7. What preparations does Mrs. Kearney make for the concerts on behalf of her daughter?
8. How does Little Chandler handle his crying baby?
9. What does Maria buy for Joe and his family, and what happens to those gifts?
10. Describe Farrington's relationship with his family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Araby signify for the narrator of "Araby"? What does it signify for Miss Mangan? Describe what the bazaar symbolically represents for each character and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the actions of Eveline from "Eveline," Maria from "Clay," and Mrs. Kearney from "A Mother." Which character most closely resembles Joyce's ideal picture of femininity? Why? How does each character reflect the society of Dublin in the early 20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Mooney of "The Boarding House" has achieved financial independence through her business endeavors. What have her entrepreneurial dealings cost her in terms of respectability and social standing? Why does Mr. Doran believe that he will be marrying down if he marries Polly, even though Polly's family has a fair amount of wealth?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)