|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting as "Clay" begins?
2. What does Little Chandler have to drink in "A Little Cloud"?
3. In "A Little Cloud," how long has it been since Little Chandler has seen Gallaher?
4. To what school does Old Jack send his son?
5. Which adjective is used to describe the constable in "Grace"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mrs. Kearney demands that the Eire Abu Society fulfill their part of the contract?
2. Describe Farrington's relationship with his family.
3. What scheme does Mr. Henchy devise for opening the beer bottles?
4. What happens to ruin the relationship between Mr. Duffy and Mrs. Sinico?
5. What preparations does Mrs. Kearney make for the concerts on behalf of her daughter?
6. What happens when Farrington returns to his desk after the first time in the story Mr. Alleyne reprimands him?
7. Describe Gallaher's lifestyle.
8. What are Little Chandler's dreams for himself?
9. What do Mr. Duffy and Mrs. Sinico do when they visit?
10. Describe the game that Maria plays with Joe's family and the neighbor girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Father Flynn's demise as depicted in "The Sisters." In what ways was his death related to his faith? Be sure to discuss the incident with the chalice and the later incident of his laughing in the confessional booth.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mrs. Kearney's actions in "A Mother" as relates to the social conventions for the economic class to which the other characters belong. Then, make a decision about whether she defended justice by demanding proper payment or whether she simply made a nuisance of herself in polite company. Defend your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the interaction between the two boys and the old man in "An Encounter." What does the old man talk about? How does the narrator feel about him at first, and how does he feel about him at the end? How does the boys' reaction to the old man contrast with the encounters with villains that the heroes in Wild West stories have?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)