|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kernan make for her husband in order to nurse him back to health?
2. At the end of "Clay," what is Joe unable to find?
3. Martin Cunningham's face looks like the face of which person?
4. When does the Committee plan to give Miss Kearney the second half of her earnings?
5. What does the matron in "Clay" call Maria one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game that Maria plays with Joe's family and the neighbor girls.
2. What are Little Chandler's dreams for himself?
3. How does Mrs. Sinico die?
4. What is the "plot" the Kernans' friends devise to bring some stability to Mr. Kernan's life?
5. What happens to ruin the relationship between Mr. Duffy and Mrs. Sinico?
6. What happens when Farrington returns to his desk after the first time in the story Mr. Alleyne reprimands him?
7. In "Clay", how do Maria's acquaintances think of Maria?
8. Describe Mr. Alleyne from the story, "Counterparts".
9. What scheme does Mr. Henchy devise for opening the beer bottles?
10. What is the sermon the priest delivers in "Grace"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between wealth and high culture in "After the Race." Which characters represent wealth? Which characters represent high culture? How do they relate to one another, and which one gets more out of the relationship? Defend your opinions thoroughly.
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Father Purdon's sermon as related at the end of "Grace." How do you think that sermon affected the lives of the listeners, particularly that of Mr. Kernan? Do you think it was truly a message of grace, or do you think it was a message of playing tit-for-tat with God?
Essay Topic 3
What does Miss Ivors represent in the story "The Dead"? Why does she make Gabriel so uncomfortable, and why does she leave the dance so early? How does Miss Ivors' behavior correspond to the title of the story? Explain.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)