|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Clay," what time do the women take tea?
2. What does Little Chandler have to drink in "A Little Cloud"?
3. Mr. Alleyne's accent signifies that he comes from where?
4. What is the setting as "Clay" begins?
5. Which drink does Mr. Duggan, the bass player, prefer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to ruin the relationship between Mr. Duffy and Mrs. Sinico?
2. How does Little Chandler handle his crying baby?
3. Describe Farrington's relationship with his family.
4. What is the sermon the priest delivers in "Grace"?
5. What does the group of men in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" meet to discuss?
6. What injury does Mr. Kernan sustain in "Grace"?
7. What are Little Chandler's dreams for himself?
8. What do Mr. Duffy and Mrs. Sinico do when they visit?
9. Describe Mr. Holohan's work ethic in comparison to Mrs. Kearney's work ethic.
10. What preparations does Mrs. Kearney make for the concerts on behalf of her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Father Flynn's demise as depicted in "The Sisters." In what ways was his death related to his faith? Be sure to discuss the incident with the chalice and the later incident of his laughing in the confessional booth.
Essay Topic 2
What does Araby signify for the narrator of "Araby"? What does it signify for Miss Mangan? Describe what the bazaar symbolically represents for each character and why.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Mooney of "The Boarding House" has achieved financial independence through her business endeavors. What have her entrepreneurial dealings cost her in terms of respectability and social standing? Why does Mr. Doran believe that he will be marrying down if he marries Polly, even though Polly's family has a fair amount of wealth?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)