|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Encounter," the narrator's shoes are made of which material?
2. What is the name of the shop that the narrator visits in "The Sisters"?
3. Where is Eveline's mother?
4. What expensive gift did the girlfriend once give Corley?
5. The first paragraph of "Eveline" mentions the smell of which object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Frank from the story, "Eveline".
2. Why can't Miss Mangan go to Araby?
3. What change is Eveline considering?
4. Describe what happens when Father Flynn takes snuff.
5. Why is Mr. Doran hesitant to marry Polly?
6. Describe the narrator of "Araby"'s morning routine.
7. What did Father Flynn hope to do before he died?
8. Describe Mrs. Mooney's business endeavors.
9. How did Doyle's father make his money?
10. In "An Encounter", what adventurous plan do the boys hatch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Eveline's father with other fathers and father figures in the book, such as Little Chandler of "A Little Cloud," Farrington of "Counterparts," and Mr. Kernan of "Grace." What do you think were the social expectations for fathers in the Ireland of Joyce's day? Do you think Joyce approves of such expectations? Explain your opinions using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mrs. Kearney's actions in "A Mother" as relates to the social conventions for the economic class to which the other characters belong. Then, make a decision about whether she defended justice by demanding proper payment or whether she simply made a nuisance of herself in polite company. Defend your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Father Flynn's faith in "The Sisters" with that of Father Purdon in "Grace." Given Father Purdon's sermon regarding keeping account books with God, how would he have responded if he had committed Father Flynn's fateful sin of dropping the chalice?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)