|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Araby" find in the stall he enters?
2. Who introduced the Wild West to the narrator of "An Encounter"?
3. The first paragraph of "Eveline" mentions the smell of which object?
4. In "After the Race", what subject does Segouin introduce over dinner ?
5. In "The Sisters," who helped the dead man's sisters deal with the funeral arrangements?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Father Flynn takes snuff.
2. How did Doyle's father make his money?
3. What do the young men in "After the Race" do on Farley's yacht?
4. At the end of the story, "Two Gallants," what does the object in Corley's hand signify?
5. Why does Old Cotter think children should spend time with other children rather than befriending old men?
6. Describe the narrator's mood in the days preceding Araby.
7. Describe Frank from the story, "Eveline".
8. Describe the narrator of "Araby"'s morning routine.
9. Why do the boys in "An Encounter" read the Wild West stories?
10. What change is Eveline considering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the "little cloud" is in "A Little Cloud." Which character does it affect? How? Why? You may argue any reasonable position, as long as you can support it fully with examples from the text. Do not forget to consider minor characters, if you wish.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Mooney of "The Boarding House" has achieved financial independence through her business endeavors. What have her entrepreneurial dealings cost her in terms of respectability and social standing? Why does Mr. Doran believe that he will be marrying down if he marries Polly, even though Polly's family has a fair amount of wealth?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eveline's life as it currently stands and as it may have been if she had gone to Buenos Aires with Frank. Why does she choose to stay in Dublin? Explain. Do you think she chooses well, or should she have chosen to go with Frank?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)