|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Encounter", what do the two boys eat for lunch?
2. What did Father Butler catch Leo Dillon reading?
3. Who introduced the Wild West to the narrator of "An Encounter"?
4. In what profession does Doyle's father became wealthy?
5. What is Araby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eveline's father.
2. What does Lenehan do for a living?
3. What happens to the narrator at Araby?
4. Describe the four men in the French car from the story, "After the Race".
5. How did Doyle's father make his money?
6. Describe what happens when Father Flynn takes snuff.
7. Why do the boys in "An Encounter" read the Wild West stories?
8. Describe the narrator's mood in the days preceding Araby.
9. What did Father Flynn hope to do before he died?
10. Why does Old Cotter think children should spend time with other children rather than befriending old men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Eveline to two other female protagonists, Maria of "Clay" and Mrs. Kearney of "A Mother." Which of the latter two do you believe Eveline will be more like when she reaches middle age and beyond? Why? Do you expect her to become hardened with age like Mrs. Kearney or to soften like Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the actions of Eveline from "Eveline," Maria from "Clay," and Mrs. Kearney from "A Mother." Which character most closely resembles Joyce's ideal picture of femininity? Why? How does each character reflect the society of Dublin in the early 20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Father Flynn's faith in "The Sisters" with that of Father Purdon in "Grace." Given Father Purdon's sermon regarding keeping account books with God, how would he have responded if he had committed Father Flynn's fateful sin of dropping the chalice?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)