|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "After the Race", what subject does Segouin introduce over dinner ?
2. What color is Mr. Doran's beard?
3. At what time do Corley and Lenehan reunite?
4. What song is the harpist playing in "Two Gallants"?
5. What expensive gift did the girlfriend once give Corley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Doyle's father make his money?
2. Describe the narrator's mood in the days preceding Araby.
3. What do the young men in "After the Race" do on Farley's yacht?
4. What does Lenehan do while Corley is on his date?
5. Describe the four men in the French car from the story, "After the Race".
6. Describe the narrator of "Araby"'s morning routine.
7. In "An Encounter", what adventurous plan do the boys hatch?
8. Describe Eveline's father.
9. Why is Mr. Doran hesitant to marry Polly?
10. Why do the boys in "An Encounter" read the Wild West stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Dubliners, Joyce presents a scathing condemnation of the society of his beloved Dublin. Explain the deterioration that he depicts. How does Joyce effectively convey his message? Describe his choice of the short story genre, his use of symbolism and theme, and his character development.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between wealth and high culture in "After the Race." Which characters represent wealth? Which characters represent high culture? How do they relate to one another, and which one gets more out of the relationship? Defend your opinions thoroughly.
Essay Topic 3
What does Miss Ivors represent in the story "The Dead"? Why does she make Gabriel so uncomfortable, and why does she leave the dance so early? How does Miss Ivors' behavior correspond to the title of the story? Explain.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)