|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in the cycling suit in "Grace" give the injured man to revive him?
(a) Smelling salts.
(c) Cough medicine.
(d) Castor oil.
2. What subjects does Mrs. Kearney learn in a convent?
(a) English literature and dancing.
(b) French and Latin.
(c) French and music.
(d) Math and history.
3. Of whom does the poem in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" speak?
(a) King Edward VII.
(b) Father Keon.
(d) The Pope.
4. As "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" opens, what is Old Jack using to tend the fire?
(a) A long stick.
(b) His breath.
(d) A piece of cardboard.
5. How much money does Farrington have left after his drinking binge?
(a) A pound.
(b) A sixpence.
(c) A twopence.
(d) A shilling.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" take place?
2. How many children does Farrington have?
3. What does Farrington, the protagonist of "Counterparts," do for a living?
4. Mr. Alleyne's accent signifies that he comes from where?
5. When "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" introduces Mr. O'Connor, what is he doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the quality of the concerts.
2. What does the group of men in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" meet to discuss?
3. Describe Mr. Holohan's work ethic in comparison to Mrs. Kearney's work ethic.
4. What scheme does Mr. Henchy devise for opening the beer bottles?
5. How do the men in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" react to Mr. Hynes's poem?
6. How does Mrs. Kernan deal with her husband's drinking bouts?
7. What does Maria buy for Joe and his family, and what happens to those gifts?
8. How does Little Chandler handle his crying baby?
9. In "A Painful Case," what is Mr. Duffy's daily routine?
10. Describe Farrington's relationship with his family.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)