|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "After the Race," which of the four men in the car is happy because of having had a good lunch?
(d) Father Flynn.
2. What is Araby?
(a) A school.
(b) A bazaar.
(c) A holiday.
(d) A village by the sea.
3. In "After the Race," where are the race cars going?
(b) The English Channel.
4. What does Eveline hold on to while she makes her decision to stay in Dublin?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her handbag.
(c) Frank's hand.
(d) The iron railing.
5. What was Corley's father by trade?
(a) A shopkeeper.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Araby," who visits the narrator's house for tea?
2. The old man in "An Encounter" says that young boys can't read some of the works by which author?
3. In "Two Gallants," where had Lenehan spent the afternoon?
4. What is the name of the boy from "An Encounter" who plans to go on the adventure but does not end up meeting the other boys?
5. What did Father Butler catch Leo Dillon reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Old Cotter think children should spend time with other children rather than befriending old men?
2. What type of people lodge at Mrs. Mooney's establishment?
3. In "An Encounter", describe the boys' experience with the children they encounter on their adventure.
4. What does Eveline do at the last moment before the ship leaves?
5. What do the young men in "After the Race" do on Farley's yacht?
6. Why can't Miss Mangan go to Araby?
7. What is Corley's approach to the opposite sex?
8. What is Mrs. Mooney's plan with regard to Polly and Mr. Doran?
9. Describe Frank from the story, "Eveline".
10. Describe the narrator of "Araby"'s morning routine.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)