|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much do Mrs. Mooney's boarders pay per week for room and board?
(a) Two shillings.
(b) A pound.
(c) A sixpence.
(d) Fifteen shillings.
2. What was Corley's father by trade?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A professor.
(d) A shopkeeper.
3. What coin does the narrator of "Araby" carry with him on his evening out?
(a) A florin.
(b) A shilling.
(c) A pound.
(d) A sixpence.
4. In "An Encounter," what form of discipline for schoolboys who are caught talking to girls does the old man prefer?
5. Where did Corley meet his girlfriend?
(a) In church.
(b) In a pub.
(c) At a bus stop.
(d) Under Waterhouse's clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Sisters" what is tied to the door knocker of the shop?
2. Where does the narrator of "Araby" wait every day to see the girl he likes?
3. What is the name of the girl the narrator of "Araby" likes?
4. In "An Encounter," what do the boys decide to drink when they cannot find a dairy?
5. Over dinner in "After the Race," Villona discusses the beauty of which type of music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Old Cotter think children should spend time with other children rather than befriending old men?
2. What happens to the narrator at Araby?
3. Why is Mr. Doran hesitant to marry Polly?
4. What happens to Doyle during the card game?
5. Describe what happens when Father Flynn takes snuff.
6. Describe Eveline's father.
7. What is Mrs. Mooney's plan with regard to Polly and Mr. Doran?
8. What change is Eveline considering?
9. In "An Encounter", what adventurous plan do the boys hatch?
10. Describe Frank from the story, "Eveline".
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)