|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Boarding House," where is Mrs. Mooney's butcher shop?
(a) Adjacent to the Catholic church.
(b) Behind a football stadium.
(c) Near Spring Gardens.
(d) Near Belfast.
2. What gift did the narrator's aunt used to give the dead man in "The Sisters"?
(b) A cigar.
(d) High Toast snuff.
3. For whom does Mr. Mooney work after he and Mrs. Mooney separate?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) The undertaker.
(c) The priest.
(d) The baker.
4. Over dinner in "After the Race," Villona discusses the beauty of which type of music?
(a) Chamber music.
(b) The Italian sonata.
(c) The English madrigal.
(d) The opera.
5. In "An Encounter," where do the boys plan to meet for their day of adventure?
(a) Behind the neighborhood pub.
(b) At Mahony's house.
(c) The Canal Bridge.
(d) In the park next to the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Encounter," the narrator's shoes are made of which material?
2. What is Villona's country of origin?
3. What did the narrator of "Araby" once find under the bushes in the garden?
4. How much does Eveline receive for wages each week?
5. In "An Encounter," what form of discipline for schoolboys who are caught talking to girls does the old man prefer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Old Cotter think children should spend time with other children rather than befriending old men?
2. What do the young men in "After the Race" do on Farley's yacht?
3. At the end of the story, "Two Gallants," what does the object in Corley's hand signify?
4. Describe Mrs. Mooney's business endeavors.
5. Describe the narrator's mood in the days preceding Araby.
6. What is Mrs. Mooney's plan with regard to Polly and Mr. Doran?
7. In "An Encounter", describe the boys' experience with the children they encounter on their adventure.
8. What change is Eveline considering?
9. Describe the narrator of "Araby"'s morning routine.
10. What happens to the narrator at Araby?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)