|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men of "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" use to open their drinks?
(a) A bottle opener.
(b) The edge of a knife.
(c) The fire.
(d) Their hands.
2. Where do Mr. Duffy and Mrs. Sinico meet for the last time in "A Painful Case"?
(a) In Mrs. Sinico's front parlor.
(b) In a park.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At a cakeshop.
3. What is the setting as "Clay" begins?
(a) A bedroom.
(b) A church.
(c) A kitchen.
(d) An art studio.
4. What does Mr. Duffy do for a living?
(a) He runs a pub.
(b) He is a bank cashier.
(c) He writes poetry.
(d) He walks dogs.
5. What does Maria buy as a special gift for Joe and his wife?
(a) Two pairs of fine leather gloves.
(b) A box of tea.
(d) Imported cheese.
6. When "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" introduces Mr. O'Connor, what is he doing?
(a) Listening to the radio.
(b) Reading a newspaper.
(c) Rolling a cigarette.
(d) Opening a bottle of wine.
7. In "Ivy Day in the Committee Room," who recites a poem?
(a) Mr. O'Connor.
(b) Mr. Henchy.
(c) Mr. Fanning.
(d) Mr. Hynes.
8. What is in the middle of the room in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room"?
(a) Two large lamps.
(b) A small table.
(c) A couch.
(d) A chair.
9. Where does Mr. Duffy go after hearing of Mrs. Sinico's death?
(b) To Mrs. Sinico's house.
(c) A pub.
(d) A church.
10. In the first paragraph of "Clay," what is sitting on one of the tables?
(a) A fisherman's cap.
(b) Four barmbracks.
(c) A potter's wheel.
(d) Two silver candlesticks.
11. When she was still single, what did Mrs. Kearney do instead of falling in love?
(a) She went dancing.
(b) She ate Turkish Delight.
(c) She stayed at home.
(d) She watched birds.
12. After delivering the object the men of "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" are expecting, what does the servant boy ask for?
(a) An apology.
(b) A tip.
(c) A bite to eat.
13. What name does Mr. Alleyne call Farrington after Farrington makes a snide remark?
(a) "Impertinent ruffian."
(b) "Abominable, uneducated scum."
(c) "Insubordinate lowlife."
(d) "Foolish waste of space."
14. How much is Miss Kearney supposed to receive for her work with the concerts?
(a) Twenty pence.
(b) Eight guineas.
(c) Twenty shillings.
(d) Two pounds.
15. To what school does Old Jack send his son?
(a) University of Dublin.
(b) Christian Brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname that Mr. Holohan has in "A Mother"?
2. Which drink does Mr. Duggan, the bass player, prefer?
3. What does Mr. Duffy have for lunch every day?
4. What is the setting as "Grace" begins?
5. Martin Cunningham's face looks like the face of which person?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)