|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom does the poem in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" speak?
(a) The Pope.
(b) King Edward VII.
(c) Father Keon.
2. One of the onlookers in "Grace" admits to having served the protagonist what?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) Some painkillers.
(c) A small rum.
(d) A large plate of fish and chips.
3. What does Farrington eat after he has his drink?
(a) A plate of corned beef and cabbage.
(b) Some peanuts.
(c) Some pretzels.
(d) A caraway seed.
4. When she was still single, what did Mrs. Kearney do instead of falling in love?
(a) She went dancing.
(b) She ate Turkish Delight.
(c) She watched birds.
(d) She stayed at home.
5. In what month does "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" take place?
6. What does the matron in "Clay" call Maria one day?
(a) A lazy bum.
(b) An ingrate.
(c) A peacemaker.
(d) An angel from heaven.
7. What is the setting as "Clay" begins?
(a) A church.
(b) A bedroom.
(c) An art studio.
(d) A kitchen.
8. How much is Miss Kearney supposed to receive for her work with the concerts?
(a) Twenty pence.
(b) Two pounds.
(c) Eight guineas.
(d) Twenty shillings.
9. When does the Committee plan to give Miss Kearney the second half of her earnings?
(a) In two weeks.
(b) Immediately after the last concert.
(c) The Tuesday following the last concert.
(d) Within the month.
10. How much money does Farrington have left after his drinking binge?
(a) A pound.
(b) A sixpence.
(c) A twopence.
(d) A shilling.
11. What does Mr. Duffy do every evening for dessert?
(a) Takes a hot bath.
(b) Reads a newspaper.
(c) Drinks a cup of tea.
(d) Eats a piece of pie.
12. To what school does Old Jack send his son?
(b) Christian Brothers.
(d) University of Dublin.
13. During what season does "A Little Cloud" take place?
14. Where does Joe buy the purse that he gave to Maria?
(c) New York City.
15. What is the setting as "Grace" begins?
(a) The protagonist's home.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The seaside.
(d) A restroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Duffy go after hearing of Mrs. Sinico's death?
2. In "Ivy Day at the Committee Room", what are the men expecting to arrive at any moment with?
3. What subjects does Mrs. Kearney learn in a convent?
4. In "A Little Cloud," where do Little Chandler and Gallaher meet to have a drink?
5. Which scent does the desk in "A Painful Case" NOT contain?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)