|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Sinico when she dies in "A Painful Case"?
2. What does Mr. Duffy do for a living?
(a) He writes poetry.
(b) He runs a pub.
(c) He is a bank cashier.
(d) He walks dogs.
3. Mr. Alleyne's accent signifies that he comes from where?
(a) North of Ireland.
(d) New York City.
4. At the end of "A Painful Case," what does Mr. Duffy hear?
(b) Mrs. Sinico's voice.
(c) Two children playing.
(d) A violin playing Mozart.
5. What does Farrington, the protagonist of "Counterparts," do for a living?
(a) He bakes bread.
(b) He runs a publishing company.
(c) He washes cars.
(d) He copies documents by hand.
6. What does Maria buy as a special gift for Joe and his wife?
(b) Imported cheese.
(c) Two pairs of fine leather gloves.
(d) A box of tea.
7. What is the adjective used in the first paragraph of "A Painful Case" to describe Mr. Duffy's house?
8. For which cause would Gallaher choose to marry?
9. Which Pope do the men of "Grace" commend as intellectual and highly admirable?
(a) Pope John XXIII.
(b) Pope Leo XIII.
(c) Pope Paul VI.
(d) Pope Pius IX.
10. At the end of "Clay," what is Joe unable to find?
(a) A nutcracker.
(b) A corkscrew.
(c) His hat.
(d) A prayer book.
11. Of whom does the poem in "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" speak?
(a) The Pope.
(b) King Edward VII.
(c) Father Keon.
12. Which adjective is used to describe the constable in "Grace"?
13. What type of hat does Farrington wear while he walks to the pub?
(a) A cowboy hat.
(b) A beret.
(c) A baseball cap.
(d) A plaid shepherd's cap.
14. What does the man in the cycling suit in "Grace" give the injured man to revive him?
(b) Smelling salts.
(c) Castor oil.
(d) Cough medicine.
15. What does Mr. Duffy have for lunch every day?
(a) Tea and scones.
(b) Corned beef and cabbage.
(c) Lager beer and arrowroot biscuits.
(d) Ale and a plate of peas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Little Chandler attempt to stop the baby's crying?
2. During what season does "A Little Cloud" take place?
3. In "Ivy Day in the Committee Room," who recites a poem?
4. What gift does Mr. Fogarty bring for Mr. Kernan in "Grace"?
5. Which scent does the desk in "A Painful Case" NOT contain?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)