|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the destination of the boys' adventure in "An Encounter"?
(a) A pub with a Wild West motif.
(b) The wharf.
(c) The Pigeon House.
(d) The far side of Dublin.
2. Who had previously rented a room in the house of the narrator of "Araby"?
(a) A factory worker.
(b) A priest.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A university student.
3. Where do Eveline and Frank plan to live?
(a) Buenos Aires.
4. Over dinner in "After the Race," Villona discusses the beauty of which type of music?
(a) The opera.
(b) Chamber music.
(c) The English madrigal.
(d) The Italian sonata.
5. On the day the narrator wishes to go to Araby, what time does the narrator's uncle get home?
(a) 11:00 PM.
(b) 9:00 PM.
(c) 11:30 AM.
(d) 2:30 PM.
6. In "After the Race," which of the four men in the car is happy because of having had a good lunch?
(b) Father Flynn.
7. Where did Corley meet his girlfriend?
(a) In church.
(b) At a bus stop.
(c) Under Waterhouse's clock.
(d) In a pub.
8. In "An Encounter", what do the two boys eat for lunch?
(a) Tea and cookies.
(b) Currant buns.
(c) Ham sandwiches.
(d) Fish and chips.
9. In what city did the dead man of "The Sisters" complete his education?
10. In "After the Race", what subject does Segouin introduce over dinner ?
11. What did Father Butler catch Leo Dillon reading?
(a) High Noon.
(b) The Bloody Saloon.
(c) The Apache Chief.
(d) Standoff at Little Bighorn.
12. For whom does Mr. Mooney work after he and Mrs. Mooney separate?
(a) The baker.
(b) The priest.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The undertaker.
13. In "The Boarding House," where is Mrs. Mooney's butcher shop?
(a) Near Spring Gardens.
(b) Near Belfast.
(c) Adjacent to the Catholic church.
(d) Behind a football stadium.
14. At what time do Corley and Lenehan reunite?
(b) 10:30 PM.
(c) 8:00 PM.
15. In "After the Race," where are the race cars going?
(d) The English Channel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the narrator of "Araby" pay to get in at the bazaar?
2. The church fathers had written books as large as which book familiar to the narrator of "The Sisters"?
3. What is the name of the shop that the narrator visits in "The Sisters"?
4. What is the name of the boy from "An Encounter" who plans to go on the adventure but does not end up meeting the other boys?
5. What sound is coming from the street while Eveline muses over her memories?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)