|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Eveline and Frank plan to live?
(d) Buenos Aires.
2. The narrator of "Araby" mentions that the girl fidgets with which accessory while she talks to him?
(a) Her hat.
(b) A silver bracelet.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) A rosary.
3. What is the name of the girl the narrator of "Araby" likes?
(c) Miss Mangan.
(d) Miss O'Malley.
4. The church fathers had written books as large as which book familiar to the narrator of "The Sisters"?
(a) The Oxford English Dictionary.
(b) Post Office Directory.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) Les Miserables.
5. Over dinner in "After the Race," Villona discusses the beauty of which type of music?
(a) The opera.
(b) The Italian sonata.
(c) Chamber music.
(d) The English madrigal.
6. What object does Mr. Doran polish several times because of his nervousness?
(a) His glasses.
(b) A silver spoon.
(c) A wine glass.
(d) His watch.
7. In "An Encounter," what form of discipline for schoolboys who are caught talking to girls does the old man prefer?
8. What time is it at the conclusion of "After the Race"?
(a) 3:00 AM.
(c) 1:00 AM.
9. Where does the narrator of "Araby" wait every day to see the girl he likes?
(a) At his bedroom window.
(b) Behind the big tree on the corner.
(c) At the mailbox.
(d) In the front parlor.
10. Who bought the field in which Eveline used to play?
(a) A priest.
(b) A man from Edinburgh.
(c) A man from Belfast.
(d) The narrator's neighbor.
11. What musical instrument does Villona play well?
(b) Church organ.
12. Eveline remembers that one day long ago she and her family had taken a picnic where?
(a) The Hill of Howth.
(b) The moors.
(c) The wharf in Dublin.
(d) The seaside.
13. In "An Encounter", what do the two boys eat for lunch?
(a) Ham sandwiches.
(b) Tea and cookies.
(c) Currant buns.
(d) Fish and chips.
14. Who had previously rented a room in the house of the narrator of "Araby"?
(a) A priest.
(b) A factory worker.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A university student.
15. What does the narrator of "Araby" find in the stall he enters?
(a) Copper sculptures.
(d) Vases and tea sets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many people consider Lenehan, the protagonist of "Two Gallants," to be what?
2. In the first paragraph of "The Sisters," the narrator states that he will know if his friend is dead because he will see what in the window?
3. In "After the Race," where are the race cars going?
4. In "Two Gallants," where does Lenehan eat?
5. What does Lenehan eat?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)