|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much do Mrs. Mooney's boarders pay per week for room and board?
(a) Two shillings.
(b) Fifteen shillings.
(c) A sixpence.
(d) A pound.
2. In "An Encounter," what form of discipline for schoolboys who are caught talking to girls does the old man prefer?
3. What is the name of the dead man in "The Sisters"?
(b) Father Flynn.
(c) Old Cotter.
4. What name does Lenehan call Corley with regard to Corley's romantic exploits?
(b) Don Johnson.
(c) Don Juan.
5. Where is Eveline's mother?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is working in a factory.
(d) She is pulling up weeds in the garden.
6. What is the name of the girl the narrator of "Araby" likes?
(a) Miss Mangan.
(d) Miss O'Malley.
7. In "After the Race," where are the race cars going?
(d) The English Channel.
8. Who had previously rented a room in the house of the narrator of "Araby"?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A university student.
(c) A priest.
(d) A factory worker.
9. Where did Corley meet his girlfriend?
(a) In a pub.
(b) Under Waterhouse's clock.
(c) At a bus stop.
(d) In church.
10. What song is the harpist playing in "Two Gallants"?
(a) "Scotland the Brave"
(b) "Danny Boy"
(c) "God Save the Queen"
(d) "Silent, O Moyle"
11. In "Two Gallants," where had Lenehan spent the afternoon?
(a) In a pub.
(b) At work.
(c) In a barber shop.
(d) In the hospital.
12. The narrator of "An Encounter" shouts which name to get his companion's attention so that they can run away from the old man?
13. What does the servant Mary make out of the leftover bread crusts in "The Boarding House"?
(a) Nothing, because she throws them away.
(b) Bread pudding.
14. Who bought the field in which Eveline used to play?
(a) A priest.
(b) A man from Edinburgh.
(c) A man from Belfast.
(d) The narrator's neighbor.
15. As Joyce mentions in "The Boarding House," what sits on the mantelpiece?
(a) A pearl rosary.
(b) A china plate.
(c) A portrait of Mrs. Mooney's father.
(d) A clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Two Gallants," where does Lenehan eat?
2. Of what did the dead man in "The Sisters" die?
3. What gift did the narrator's aunt used to give the dead man in "The Sisters"?
4. How old is Eveline?
5. In "The Boarding House," where is Mrs. Mooney's butcher shop?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)