|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Villona's country of origin?
2. The narrator of "An Encounter" mentions that he prefers which genre of literature to the Wild West stories?
(a) American detective stories.
(b) Pulp fiction.
(c) Stories of battles at sea.
3. In "The Sisters" what is tied to the door knocker of the shop?
(a) A crape bouquet.
(b) A "closed" sign.
(c) A rosary.
(d) Two chrysanthemums.
4. Where do Eveline and Frank plan to live?
(b) Buenos Aires.
5. In "After the Race," where are the race cars going?
(a) The English Channel.
6. Who are driving the blue cars in "After the Race"?
(c) The French men.
(d) The German men.
7. What time is it at the conclusion of "After the Race"?
(a) 3:00 AM.
(c) 1:00 AM.
8. Who introduced the Wild West to the narrator of "An Encounter"?
(a) Mr. Gardiner.
(b) The narrator's older brother.
(c) Father Butler.
(d) Joe Dillon.
9. In "The Sisters," who helped the dead man's sisters deal with the funeral arrangements?
(a) Father O'Rourke.
(b) Old Cotter.
(c) The narrator's aunt.
(d) Father Flynn.
10. The first paragraph of "Eveline" mentions the smell of which object?
(a) Rusty cast-iron skillet.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Dusty cretonne.
(d) Lye soap.
11. In "Eveline," what was the destination of Frank's first trip as a sailor?
(b) New York.
12. Who bought the field in which Eveline used to play?
(a) A man from Edinburgh.
(b) The narrator's neighbor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A man from Belfast.
13. In "After the Race," which of the four men in the car is happy because of having had a good lunch?
(b) Father Flynn.
14. As Joyce mentions in "The Boarding House," what sits on the mantelpiece?
(a) A clock.
(b) A pearl rosary.
(c) A china plate.
(d) A portrait of Mrs. Mooney's father.
15. According to "After the Race," where do Segouin and Doyle meet each other?
(a) The wharf.
(d) Dublin University.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the men play at the end of "After the Race"?
2. At the very end of "Two Gallants," what is Corley holding in his hand?
3. What does Lenehan eat?
4. What pet name did Frank used to call Eveline?
5. What is the destination of the boys' adventure in "An Encounter"?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)