|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, why does Augusten not want to tell his psychiatrist about Foster?
2. What about the Nazi reminds Augusten of Foster in Chapter 10?
3. What reminder of Kyle is in Foster's apartment in Chapter 7?
4. What personal news does Hayden give Augusten in Chapter 9?
5. What is the role of the giant beer cap in the commercial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the commercial shoot in Chapter 10.
2. Why is dinner with the Nazi in Chapter 10 nearly unbearable for Augusten?
3. Why does the beer account prove more difficult than Augusten expected?
4. What bad news does Augusten get at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Describe the night that Augusten relapses.
6. What do Wendy and Augusten discuss in Chapter 11?
7. By Chapter 12, how has Augusten and Pighead's relationship changed?
8. In Chapter 9, how do Augusten and Hayden part ways?
9. How does Augusten's story end?
10. What surprise does Pighead have for Augusten in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augusten does not realize that he has a substance problem until he is forced to account for his drinking. Only when he lists out his habits and considers them does he realize that he does not drink like non-addicts. In an essay, discuss these drinking habits. How has he rationalized them as part of the advertising lifestyle? What role do antihistamines play in his drinking, and how does this prove to him that he is addicted?
Essay Topic 2
Augusten Burroughs' tenuous sobriety is tested by a series of hardships. From the moment he returns home, he must make choices about what he must change in his life. Write an essay about three parts of Augusten's life that prove particularly rife for temptation and how he deals with them.
Part 1) Discuss how Augusten's job in advertising is the reason he goes to rehab and how it continues to be a challenge for him after he returns. What accounts prove particularly tough for Augusten? What strange occurrences lead him to believe someone is trying to sabotage him? How does he deal with this?
Part 2) Why does Augusten have such difficulty letting Pighead into his life? Discuss what about Pighead makes him a risky acquaintance? What kind of support does Pighead give Augusten? What danger does he bring to the recovering addict?
Part 3) How is Augusten's relationship with Foster a complete violation of the rules of his recovery? What mutual danger do they bring to each other's life? Discuss how Foster's weakness hurts Augusten. What terrible kindness does he provide the protagonist after a friend's death?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the mystery in Dry surrounding the anonymous terrorizing Augusten faces at work. Discuss each of the little acts of alcohol-related vandalism perpetrated against the protagonist, and the difficulties each causes for him. Why does Augusten initially suspect himself of these acts? Who eventually emerges as the perpetrator? What is the eventual fallout?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)