|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augusten make his room safer for his sobriety in Chapter 10?
2. How long does Augusten drink before going to Pighead's wake?
3. Which of the following characters does Augusten not tell about Foster in Chapter 9?
4. Why is Pighead in the hospital at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. What does Foster ostensibly invite Augusten over to his apartment for in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What positive events happen to Augusten in Chapter 9?
2. What is the fallout from Augusten's revelation about Foster at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What bad news does Augusten get at the end of Chapter 10?
4. To whom does Augusten confide about Foster in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Augusten almost relapse at the end of Chapter 9?
6. What does Augusten realize about Foster in Chapter 7?
7. Why is dinner with the Nazi in Chapter 10 nearly unbearable for Augusten?
8. Why is Augusten's relationship with Foster a problem from the beginning?
9. Describe the commercial shoot in Chapter 10.
10. In what state is Augusten on the day of Pighead's wake in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of alienation from self in Dry. How has alcoholism rendered Augusten Burroughs unable to process his own emotional sphere? What steps does he take toward translating his feelings into self-awareness after rehab? Discuss how events involving work, Pighead, and Foster confound him, in part, because of his lack of self-awareness.
Essay Topic 2
One of the reasons that Augusten Burroughs accepts that he is an alcoholic is that he realizes how much work he puts into drinking. Write an essay about the habits of alcoholism in Dry. Discuss what Augusten does to maintain his alcohol consumption. How does he overcome an allergy? Why does his drinking make him unwilling to bring people to his apartment? Discuss his morning-after routine to mask his drinking.
Essay Topic 3
In Dry, Augusten Burroughs presents the character of Hayden as a mirror to himself. Write an essay about the concurrent trajectory of Hayden's sobriety. What essential characteristics do Hayden and Augusten have in common? What is similar about both of their first days at Proud Institute? How do they support each other in their first months of sobriety, and how do their relapses mirror each other?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)