|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what disturbs Augusten most about Pighead's appearance?
2. Whom does Augusten think of in Chapter 7, as he watches Foster on the phone?
3. What does PIghead write to Augusten on a Post-it note in Chapter 11?
4. What offer does Augusten make to the ailing Pighead in the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. What happens in Chapter 14 that makes Augusten decide to return to rehab?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Augusten's attitude toward his mother?
2. What do Wendy and Augusten discuss in Chapter 11?
3. Why does the beer account prove more difficult than Augusten expected?
4. Describe the commercial shoot in Chapter 10.
5. What does Augusten realize about Foster in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the night that Augusten relapses.
7. Why does Augusten almost relapse at the end of Chapter 9?
8. What surprise does Pighead have for Augusten in Chapter 14?
9. What kind of peace do Pighead and Augusten reach in Chapter 8?
10. Why is Augusten's relationship with Foster a problem from the beginning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the reasons that Augusten Burroughs accepts that he is an alcoholic is that he realizes how much work he puts into drinking. Write an essay about the habits of alcoholism in Dry. Discuss what Augusten does to maintain his alcohol consumption. How does he overcome an allergy? Why does his drinking make him unwilling to bring people to his apartment? Discuss his morning-after routine to mask his drinking.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay charting the progression of Augusten's relapse in Dry. What components of his life after Proud Institute make the possibility of relapse more likely? How does Augusten toy with the idea of taking a drink several times before actually doing it? What is the final straw? Discuss how Augusten's eventual relapse creates a far more volatile habit of consumption and accelerates his journey to bottom.
Essay Topic 3
The first part of Dry takes place largely in the Proud Institute. Write an essay about the way Burroughs introduces and portrays the Proud Institute in the novel. What expectations does Augusten have of rehab before he gets there, and how does the Institute compare? How does the author portray the other patients? What is Augusten's initial and eventual attitude to everything?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)