|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what term does Augusten use to describe Foster?
2. What does Augusten do after talking to Pighead's brother on the phone in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 11, Foster is staying with Augusten until when?
4. What do Hayden and Augusten see their last night together?
5. Where do Augusten and Greer shoot the beer commercial in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pighead look when Augusten sees him in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 9, how do Augusten and Hayden part ways?
3. Why is dinner with the Nazi in Chapter 10 nearly unbearable for Augusten?
4. What does Augusten realize about Foster in Chapter 7?
5. What bad news does Augusten get at the end of Chapter 10?
6. What positive events happen to Augusten in Chapter 9?
7. What is the fallout from Augusten's revelation about Foster at the end of Chapter 8?
8. What news does Hayden give Augusten in Chapter 12?
9. Describe Augusten and Pighead's interaction at the beginning of Chapter 7.
10. Why is Augusten's relationship with Foster a problem from the beginning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of alienation from self in Dry. How has alcoholism rendered Augusten Burroughs unable to process his own emotional sphere? What steps does he take toward translating his feelings into self-awareness after rehab? Discuss how events involving work, Pighead, and Foster confound him, in part, because of his lack of self-awareness.
Essay Topic 2
Augusten Burroughs' tenuous sobriety is tested by a series of hardships. From the moment he returns home, he must make choices about what he must change in his life. Write an essay about three parts of Augusten's life that prove particularly rife for temptation and how he deals with them.
Part 1) Discuss how Augusten's job in advertising is the reason he goes to rehab and how it continues to be a challenge for him after he returns. What accounts prove particularly tough for Augusten? What strange occurrences lead him to believe someone is trying to sabotage him? How does he deal with this?
Part 2) Why does Augusten have such difficulty letting Pighead into his life? Discuss what about Pighead makes him a risky acquaintance? What kind of support does Pighead give Augusten? What danger does he bring to the recovering addict?
Part 3) How is Augusten's relationship with Foster a complete violation of the rules of his recovery? What mutual danger do they bring to each other's life? Discuss how Foster's weakness hurts Augusten. What terrible kindness does he provide the protagonist after a friend's death?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Augusten Burroughs is clearly an advertising prodigy. Write an essay in which you discuss how Augusten made his way in New York's advertising world. How old was he when he was hired, and what kind of early success did he have? Discuss how this image of a young prodigy was instrumental in his developing an unchecked addiction? How was someone like Greer an enabler in this respect?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)