|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long must Augusten attend AA meetings after leaving Proud Institute?
2. In Chapter 6, what symptom of Pighead's sickness keeps appearing?
3. In Chapter 5, Greer tells Augusten that the agency is in the running for an account involving what product?
4. According to Augusten in Chapter 1, his childhood means he has problem with what?
5. What is Kavi's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augusten imagine Proud Institute to be as he rides there in Chapter 3?
2. What is Nan's story?
3. Why does Augusten insist he cannot stay out late in Chapter 1, and how late does he stay out?
4. Why does Augusten break down crying in Chapter 4?
5. What is Augusten's immediate reaction to rehab in Chapter 3?
6. How do Augusten and Pighead first meet?
7. In Chapter 5, what has changed in Augusten's office since he left for rehab?
8. How does Augusten begin to realize that he drinks more than other people in Chapter 3?
9. What are the rules governing group?
10. What confuses Augusten about his attraction to Foster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first part of Dry takes place largely in the Proud Institute. Write an essay about the way Burroughs introduces and portrays the Proud Institute in the novel. What expectations does Augusten have of rehab before he gets there, and how does the Institute compare? How does the author portray the other patients? What is Augusten's initial and eventual attitude to everything?
Essay Topic 2
One of the reasons that Augusten Burroughs accepts that he is an alcoholic is that he realizes how much work he puts into drinking. Write an essay about the habits of alcoholism in Dry. Discuss what Augusten does to maintain his alcohol consumption. How does he overcome an allergy? Why does his drinking make him unwilling to bring people to his apartment? Discuss his morning-after routine to mask his drinking.
Essay Topic 3
Pighead begins Dry as an estranged friend of the protagonist and ends it as a guardian angel. Write an essay about Pighead's trajectory in the novel. How did he and Augusten first meet, and why are they estranged when Augusten goes into rehab? Discuss how their relationship develops as Pighead's health declines. Why is Pighead largely responsible both for AUgusten's relapse and decision to return to rehab?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)