|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what caveat does Augusten's therapy group make regarding its approval of Hayden staying with Augusten?
2. According to Augusten at the beginning of DRY, he is good at giving clients what?
3. In Chapter 5, what drink does Augusten joke to Pighead is not really alcohol?
4. In Chapter 2, how do the Faberge clients react to Greer and Augusten drinking at lunch?
5. What medical condition does Pighead have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pighead deteriorate in Chapter 6?
2. How do the Faberge clients regard Augusten in Chapter 2?
3. What confuses Augusten about his attraction to Foster?
4. Why does Augusten agree to go to rehab in Chapter 2?
5. What is Nan's story?
6. Why does Augusten insist he cannot stay out late in Chapter 1, and how late does he stay out?
7. What post-Proud plan does Rae lay out for Augusten in Chapter 4?
8. What does Augusten find when he returns to his apartment at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. How does Augusten meet Foster in Chapter 5?
10. What happens at the global brand meeting in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augusten's past haunts him as he struggles with sobriety. While Burroughs never tries to assign definitive blame for his alcohol issues, but he makes clear that a past full of abuse and neglect must have some effect. Write an essay about three people from his past. What memories of this person haunt Augusten? What present neuroses could they explain?
Part 1) His father
Part 2) Neil Bookman
Part 3) His mother
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Augusten Burroughs is clearly an advertising prodigy. Write an essay in which you discuss how Augusten made his way in New York's advertising world. How old was he when he was hired, and what kind of early success did he have? Discuss how this image of a young prodigy was instrumental in his developing an unchecked addiction? How was someone like Greer an enabler in this respect?
Essay Topic 3
The first part of Dry is largely dedicated to Augusten's developing understanding of what sobriety really entails. Write an essay about Augusten's expectations of sobriety and the reality that eventually dawns on him. What initial notions does he have of what rehab will be? Does he expect never to drink again? Discuss the point at which Augusten begins to realize that he cannot control his alcohol consumption. How does his idea of sobriety change?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)