|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accent did Augusten attempt when first speaking to Pighead on the phone?
2. What is Brian's profession?
3. How does Hayden respond to being given the stuffed animals at the end of Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 6, what symptom of Pighead's sickness keeps appearing?
5. What are Hayden's addictions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hayden's first day at Proud Institute.
2. Describe Pighead's relationship with Augusten.
3. What terrible details of his profession does Jim tell Augusten in Chapter 1?
4. How does Pighead deteriorate in Chapter 6?
5. What are the rules governing group?
6. How are Pighead and Augusten unable to connect romantically?
7. What confuses Augusten about his attraction to Foster?
8. Who is Jim and how does he know Augusten?
9. How is Greer changing for Augusten in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Augusten take a cab to rehab in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augusten Burroughs' tenuous sobriety is tested by a series of hardships. From the moment he returns home, he must make choices about what he must change in his life. Write an essay about three parts of Augusten's life that prove particularly rife for temptation and how he deals with them.
Part 1) Discuss how Augusten's job in advertising is the reason he goes to rehab and how it continues to be a challenge for him after he returns. What accounts prove particularly tough for Augusten? What strange occurrences lead him to believe someone is trying to sabotage him? How does he deal with this?
Part 2) Why does Augusten have such difficulty letting Pighead into his life? Discuss what about Pighead makes him a risky acquaintance? What kind of support does Pighead give Augusten? What danger does he bring to the recovering addict?
Part 3) How is Augusten's relationship with Foster a complete violation of the rules of his recovery? What mutual danger do they bring to each other's life? Discuss how Foster's weakness hurts Augusten. What terrible kindness does he provide the protagonist after a friend's death?
Essay Topic 2
Dry presents a series of portraits of addiction, not only that of the protagonist. In a three-part essay, discuss three other characters whose addictions are dealt with in detail in the narrative. What is the nature of each character's addiction? How does the abuse destroy his life in some regard? What kind of success does this person find in rehab and therapy?
Part 1) Brian (Dr. Valium)
Part 2) Hayden
Part 3) Foster
Essay Topic 3
One of the reasons that Augusten Burroughs accepts that he is an alcoholic is that he realizes how much work he puts into drinking. Write an essay about the habits of alcoholism in Dry. Discuss what Augusten does to maintain his alcohol consumption. How does he overcome an allergy? Why does his drinking make him unwilling to bring people to his apartment? Discuss his morning-after routine to mask his drinking.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)