|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Jamie and Claire in Chapter 24?
2. What is Claire's main occupation now that the community Jamie has built is growing?
3. What is Mount Helicon?
4. What item does Stephen Bonnet take from Claire?
5. In what language does Jamie call out in during the execution of Gavin Hayes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the ghost in the cemetery that disturbs Jamie, Claire, and their friends as they prepare to bury Gavin?
2. Who killed the Tuscarora shaman and why?
3. What is the circle of stones?
4. Who boards the boat Sally Ann and robs the passengers?
5. Why have Jamie and Claire come to witness a hanging?
6. What does Claire find when she falls off a cliff? What is significant about this find?
7. What crime do Jamie and Claire come across while talking over their future prospects during a walk at the mills?
8. Who is present at a party Jamie and Claire are invited to in Wilmington, North Carolina? What business deal does this person suggest to Jamie?
9. Why do Jamie and Claire worry about how to dispose of the body of the measles victim?
10. What do Jamie and William find when they arrive at the Indian village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Claire Fraser? How did she happen to travel in time? How has time travel impacted her life? Why did Claire return her daughter to her own time? Why did Claire return to the 1700s? What kind of life does Claire have in the 1700s? How is it different from her previous life in the 1940s? How has Claire adjusted to this new time period?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jamie sell Roger to the Indians? Was this a common practice in Jamie's time? What were the Indians to do with Roger? How does Roger react to this situation? Why does Roger not escape? Why do the Indians sell Roger to the Mohawks? What do the Mohawks do to Roger? Who is Alexandre? Why do the Indians hate Alexandre? Why do they decide to put him to death? How does his death change the way the Mohawks view Roger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss irony. Define irony. How many examples of irony are present in this novel? What makes an event ironic? Is Jamie's decision to help Stephen Bonnet ironic? For what reason? List other examples of irony and what makes them ironic.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)