|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the note that Amanda finds outside addressed?
2. What happens to the letter that Imogene takes to Arthur?
3. Who never asks about Amanda's thumb?
4. Who is Louisa?
5. With whom does Imogene return to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the letter Amanda finds.
2. How do Amanda and Ruth survive the fall into the ice that kills Mathilda?
3. What do Amanda and Clement do while on the lake?
4. Discuss the paying job Carl gets.
5. What happens after Imogene returns home after being away in Chicago?
6. Why doesn't Ruth go to Chicago with Imogene as planned?
7. What does Amanda yell to Clement while they are on the lake? What does Amanda do after yelling to Clement?
8. Discuss Amanda's trip to Clements.
9. What happens when Clement disappears without a word?
10. What are Amanda's thoughts on her thumb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting is heavily used in "Drowning Ruth." Discuss and explain how dialogue is used in the story and why it plays such a large role. Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Amanda and Mathilda and the role this has in each of their fates.
Essay Topic 3
The narration of the novel switches between that of Ruth, Amanda, and Carl. Discuss the positive and negative effects of the changes in narration in the novel.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)