|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes jealous of Imogene's job with Mrs. Owen?
2. Who disappears without a word?
3. What causes Amanda to become worried in Part 2, Chapter 12?
4. Ruth suggests that she and Amanda go to ___________________ in Part 2, Chapter 19?
5. What does Imogene give Ruth for good luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Imogene returns home after being away in Chicago?
2. Discuss the plan Mathilda concocts involving Amanda and her pregnancy.
3. Discuss Carl's trip to Clement's carriage house.
4. What happens at the new dance pavilion?
5. Discuss the letter Amanda finds.
6. Discuss the relationship between Imogene, Arthur, and Ruth.
7. Discuss the paying job Carl gets.
8. What does Amanda yell to Clement while they are on the lake? What does Amanda do after yelling to Clement?
9. What happens when Clement disappears without a word?
10. What happens when Ruth goes to talk to Imogene after Imogene reads the letter from Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of mothers in the novel. Compare and contrast the mothering styles and abilities of Mathilda, Amanda, and Mary Louise.
Essay Topic 2
The narration of the novel switches between that of Ruth, Amanda, and Carl. Discuss the positive and negative effects of the changes in narration in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of "Drowning Ruth." Cite at least three examples from the story that cause the book to be categorized in this particular genre.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)