|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What washes ashore in Part 2, Chapter 20?
2. With whom does Imogene return to the island?
3. Whose body heat revives Ruth after falling through the ice?
4. What does Ruth find at the bottom of a boat?
5. What does Amanda admit to Ruth in Part 2, Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Clement disappears without a word?
2. What do Amanda and Clement do while on the lake?
3. What happens when Ruth goes to talk to Imogene after Imogene reads the letter from Arthur?
4. Discuss Amanda's trip to Clements.
5. Discuss Carl's trip to Clement's carriage house.
6. Why doesn't Ruth go to Chicago with Imogene as planned?
7. What happens during Arthur and Ruth's time spent together in Part 2, Chapter 15?
8. Discuss the letter Amanda finds.
9. Discuss Carl's trip to the Cathedral.
10. What happens when Amanda goes into labor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the protagonist and antagonist are discussed in the story when Amanda is considered the antagonist, and Ruth is the protagonist. Discuss the use of the protagonist and antagonist in the novel and how the usage affects the story as well as the readers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of "Drowning Ruth." Cite at least three examples from the story that cause the book to be categorized in this particular genre.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of mothers in the novel. Compare and contrast the mothering styles and abilities of Mathilda, Amanda, and Mary Louise.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)