|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dismisses the idea of Clement having feelings for Imogene?
2. Whom will Amanda give her baby to when it is born?
3. Who never asks about Amanda's thumb?
4. Who excels at shorthand, typing, and accounting?
5. At Imogene's insistence, who dances with Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Carl's trip to the Cathedral.
2. What happens when Amanda goes into labor?
3. Discuss Carl's trip to Clement's carriage house.
4. Discuss the plan Mathilda concocts involving Amanda and her pregnancy.
5. Discuss the relationship between Imogene, Arthur, and Ruth.
6. What happens during Arthur and Ruth's time spent together in Part 2, Chapter 15?
7. What are Amanda's thoughts on her thumb?
8. Why doesn't Ruth go to Chicago with Imogene as planned?
9. Discuss the letter Amanda finds.
10. What happens at the new dance pavilion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the protagonist and antagonist are discussed in the story when Amanda is considered the antagonist, and Ruth is the protagonist. Discuss the use of the protagonist and antagonist in the novel and how the usage affects the story as well as the readers.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is heavily used in "Drowning Ruth." Discuss and explain how dialogue is used in the story and why it plays such a large role. Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of "Drowning Ruth." Cite at least three examples from the story that cause the book to be categorized in this particular genre.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)