|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is considered to be uppity at Mathilda's birth?
2. What gets Ruth teased regularly?
3. Clement wants to build a house near ______________.
4. Where does Amanda go in order to check on Imogene?
5. How many girls are said to eat lunch together at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ruth's behavior toward Hilda?
2. What happens on March 27, 1919?
3. What does Clement contemplate in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. Compare Ruth's popularity at school to Imogene's.
5. Who is Bert Weiss?
6. What occurs when Clement prepares to go to Washington?
7. How do Ruth and Imogene become friends?
8. What is Amanda's reaction to Ruth being at the island?
9. What does Clement convince Theresa to invest in?
10. What are Amanda's thoughts involving her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motives and motivations behind Amanda giving her daughter to Mary Louise.
Essay Topic 2
There are many flashbacks throughout the novel involving the drowning of Mathilda. Discuss the role that flashbacks have on the story and how they are used.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the protagonist and antagonist are discussed in the story when Amanda is considered the antagonist, and Ruth is the protagonist. Discuss the use of the protagonist and antagonist in the novel and how the usage affects the story as well as the readers.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)