|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amanda agrees to take time away from _____________.
2. How many girls are said to eat lunch together at school?
3. Where is Amanda sent in order to get rest?
4. Who is Ruth's mother?
5. Whom does Amanda want to buy out of their half of the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ruth and Imogene become friends?
2. What causes a doctor to recommend that Amanda should go to St. Michael's?
3. What occurs when Clement prepares to go to Washington?
4. Discuss the wedding of Carl and Mathilda.
5. Who is Hilda Grossman? What is her role in the novel?
6. What does Amanda recall about little Ruth in Part 2, Chapter 10?
7. How do Amanda, Mathilda, and Rudy end up on the island?
8. What causes Hilda to finally leave Carl's?
9. Why does Amanda go to live with Mathilda?
10. What is recalled about Amanda when Mathilda is born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the organization of Part 1 of the novel with that of Part 2. How do the sections differ? Why does the author divide the novel into two parts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Amanda and Mathilda and the role this has in each of their fates.
Essay Topic 3
There are many flashbacks throughout the novel involving the drowning of Mathilda. Discuss the role that flashbacks have on the story and how they are used.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)