|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mimics Hilda?
2. Who shows symptoms of nausea, tiredness, and a lack of coordination?
3. What does Carl show Amanda that causes her to become nervous?
4. What does Amanda keep in order to remember Mathilda?
5. Whom does Amanda want to buy out of their half of the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Amanda, Mathilda, and Rudy end up on the island?
2. What happens on a hot July day in Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. How do Amanda and Clement meet?
4. What does Amanda recall about little Ruth in Part 2, Chapter 10?
5. What does Clement convince Theresa to invest in?
6. What happens during Carl's visit to Mathilda's grave?
7. What happens on March 27, 1919?
8. What is Amanda's reaction to Ruth being at the island?
9. What do Ruth and Imogene discuss about their mothers?
10. Discuss the wedding of Carl and Mathilda.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of mothers in the novel. Compare and contrast the mothering styles and abilities of Mathilda, Amanda, and Mary Louise.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is heavily used in "Drowning Ruth." Discuss and explain how dialogue is used in the story and why it plays such a large role. Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Ruth and Carl and the changes it encounters throughout the story.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)