|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hilda begin to take care of?
2. Who is nicknamed Amy?
3. How long does it take for Amanda, Carl, and Ruth to adjust and settle in as a family?
4. What type of book does Amanda have?
5. What is the name of the school that Ruth attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Amanda's thoughts involving her pregnancy?
2. What does Theresa do during the day?
3. Discuss the Lakeridge School.
4. Discuss Amanda's actions when Carl writes about returning home.
5. What occurs when Clement prepares to go to Washington?
6. Discuss Ruth's thoughts of her mother while at the island with her friends?
7. Discuss the dream Amanda has involving Mathilda.
8. Discuss Carl's and Ruth's relationship when Carl returns home.
9. What happens on March 27, 1919?
10. How do Amanda, Mathilda, and Rudy end up on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many flashbacks throughout the novel involving the drowning of Mathilda. Discuss the role that flashbacks have on the story and how they are used.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the friendship between Ruth and Imogene and the effect it has on each of them as well as those around them.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is heavily used in "Drowning Ruth." Discuss and explain how dialogue is used in the story and why it plays such a large role. Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)