|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Mathilda have to help Amanda do involving her pregnancy?
2. Who cries for her mother in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. Who teaches Amanda arithmetic?
4. Who buys the materials for the cabin that Carl and Mathilda build?
5. Who finds it wrong to lie to Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clement contemplate in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Discuss the narration in Part 1, Chapter 1.
3. Discuss the conversation Ruth and Amanda have as the novel opens.
4. Discuss the role of religion in Part 1, Chapter 5.
5. How do Amanda and Clement meet?
6. What happens on a hot July day in Part 2, Chapter 10?
7. What is recalled about Amanda when Mathilda is born?
8. Compare Ruth's popularity at school to Imogene's.
9. Discuss the wedding of Carl and Mathilda.
10. What does Clement convince Theresa to invest in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Amanda and Mathilda and the role this has in each of their fates.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the role of death in the novel and the effect it has on the characters, readers, and the story.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is heavily used in "Drowning Ruth." Discuss and explain how dialogue is used in the story and why it plays such a large role. Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)