Part 1, Chapter 1
1. As the novel opens, Ruth insists that _____________.
(a) She fainted.
(b) She drowned.
(c) She got divorced.
(d) She was raped.
2. Whom is Ruth speaking with as the novel opens?
3. What is Amanda in relation to Ruth?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
4. Who says there are things that children need not know?
5. Amanda agrees to take time away from _____________.
(a) Her work.
(b) Her house.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her family.
6. Where does Amanda work?
(a) The post office.
(b) A law office.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A bait and tackle shop.
7. What town does Amanda work in?
8. Who shows symptoms of nausea, tiredness, and a lack of coordination?
9. Who is Amanda's little sister?
10. Who is Ruth's mother?
11. Mathilda is married to __________.
12. Who comes between Amanda and Mathilda?
This section contains 2,950 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)