Part 1, Chapter 1
• Ruth remembers drowning, but her Aunt Amanda denies it.
• Amanda admits to readers that she has lied to Ruth her whole life for her own good.
• Amanda recalls taking time off from her job as a nurse at the Milwaukee hospital until she regained control of her life.
• Amanda goes to her sister Mathilda's during her time off from work.
• Amanda sets up house with Mathilda and Carl, Mathilda's husband. Carl is recovering from war wounds in Europe.
• Mary Louise Lindgren is introduced.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• Amanda recalls reporting Mathilda missing to Sheriff Kuhtz.
• Amanda keeps a scrapbook of news clippings about Mathilda.
• Carl writes that he is coming home; Amanda prepares a room for him.
• While Carl and Mathilda were courting, Mathilda's mother suffered a stroke; Mathilda's father orders her and Carl to marry; he also sends Amanda to nursing school.
• Amanda plans on how to...
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)