|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the urgent problem?
2. Which phrase does Jekyll use to describe himself?
3. How does Jekyll react to Utterson's visit?
4. What is the overall emotional state of the servants?
5. What activity does Utterson suggest to Jekyll?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Jekyll, who will be visiting Lanyon at his home?
2. Utterson decides to go to see Jekyll immediately. How does Jekyll react when Utterson tries to see him?
3. Jekyll has become desperate and continually begs for relief. Jekyll has been crying day and night over the lack of what item?
4. Jekyll's fall from grace was instigated by a particular interest. What was Jekyll's passion?
5. What is it in Jekyll's response that does not convince Utterson or Poole that everything is all right?
6. Lanyon watches as Jekyll demonstrates his biggest triumph and failure. What is Jekyll's secret?
7. Lanyon made it clear that certain subjects were off the table. Why did Lanyon not want to discuss Jekyll?
8. The letter to Lanyon is peculiar and contains a specific request. What favor does Jekyll ask of Lanyon?
9. Poole is frantic when he visits Utterson. How does Utterson respond to Poole's concerns?
10. Jekyll insists that while he is a man of science and considered religion as a part of his experiment, he denies that he has developed what trait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses a series of flashbacks throughout the book in order to explain the behaviors of some of the characters. Do you think the use of flashback was effective or did it cause a deficiency in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Poole had a great deal of influence in the story, in reference to Jekyll, the authority with the household staff, as well as his influence with Utterson. Do you think the characterization of Poole was accurate in the context of the story? Would Poole have been going outside his rank to report to Utterson?
Essay Topic 3
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)