|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one major difference between Jekyll and Hyde?
2. To what was Jekyll committed?
3. What item was not found in Jekyll's laboratory?
4. What have Jekyll and Lanyon decided?
5. How does Jekyll react to the terror?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Jekyll, who will be visiting Lanyon at his home?
2. The letter to Lanyon is peculiar and contains a specific request. What favor does Jekyll ask of Lanyon?
3. Lanyon watches as Jekyll demonstrates his biggest triumph and failure. What is Jekyll's secret?
4. Lanyon made it clear that certain subjects were off the table. Why did Lanyon not want to discuss Jekyll?
5. Jekyll claims that his house is not fit for company. What solution does Jekyll offer?
6. What were Utterson and Enfield doing when they spotted Jekyll?
7. Utterson was relieved when Jekyll began to be social once again. What happened shortly after Jekyll threw a dinner party?
8. Jekyll is pale and sickly looking when the men visit. What activity does Utterson suggest to Jekyll?
9. What is it in Jekyll's response that does not convince Utterson or Poole that everything is all right?
10. Utterson decides to go to see Jekyll immediately. How does Jekyll react when Utterson tries to see him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jekyll was careful to document his scientific experiments. The rest of the tale was told through correspondence from Lanyon and Jekyll. Explore how the story might have ended if those documents did not exist? Why is it important to record history?
Essay Topic 2
Jekyll calls on Lanyon's professional ethics to keep his secret regarding the experiment. Lanyon is reluctant to do so. What did Jekyll mean by professional ethics? As a back up, Jekyll also called upon Lanyon's friendship and duty. How would those things persuade Lanyon to agree to remain silent?
Essay Topic 3
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)