|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic is off-limits with Lanyon?
2. Jekyll tells Utterson he will live a life of...
3. Jekyll refers to man's duplicitous nature as being...
4. Who visits Utterson at his home?
5. Who begins to weep at the site of Utterson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lanyon made it clear that certain subjects were off the table. Why did Lanyon not want to discuss Jekyll?
2. According to Jekyll, who will be visiting Lanyon at his home?
3. Why was Utterson hesitant to bring up Lanyon's failing health?
4. Jekyll finally reveals his deep dark secret to Lanyon. What is Lanyon's reaction to Jekyll's secret?
5. How long has Jekyll's strange behavior been going on?
6. Jekyll's fall from grace was instigated by a particular interest. What was Jekyll's passion?
7. The author makes it clear that Hyde was a metaphor. What did Hyde represent?
8. Why was Utterson so confused by Jekyll's return to seclusion?
9. Poole is frantic when he visits Utterson. How does Utterson respond to Poole's concerns?
10. What was the first major change Jekyll noticed about his body in regard to Hyde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poole was bound by duty to honor Jekyll's wishes. However, after Poole was convinced that there was something seriously wrong with Jekyll, the butler violated his confidences and approached Utterson. Do you think the decision was difficult for Poole to make? Was it the right decision? How might the ending have changed if Poole had not interfered?
Essay Topic 2
Jekyll was careful to document his scientific experiments. The rest of the tale was told through correspondence from Lanyon and Jekyll. Explore how the story might have ended if those documents did not exist? Why is it important to record history?
Essay Topic 3
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)