|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Poole have to go on a daily basis?
2. Although Jekyll is able to view the whole picture he denies that he has become...
3. What does Utterson say to Enfield after Jekyll's departure?
4. What time of day is it when Utterson spots Jekyll?
5. How does Jekyll refer to the murder of Carew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jekyll insists that while he is a man of science and considered religion as a part of his experiment, he denies that he has developed what trait?
2. Jekyll's behavior has become increasingly strange. Why does Poole visit Utterson?
3. The letter to Lanyon is peculiar and contains a specific request. What favor does Jekyll ask of Lanyon?
4. Why was Utterson hesitant to bring up Lanyon's failing health?
5. Utterson was relieved when Jekyll began to be social once again. What happened shortly after Jekyll threw a dinner party?
6. According to Jekyll, who will be visiting Lanyon at his home?
7. Jekyll has become desperate and continually begs for relief. Jekyll has been crying day and night over the lack of what item?
8. What is it in Jekyll's response that does not convince Utterson or Poole that everything is all right?
9. Utterson decides to go to see Jekyll immediately. How does Jekyll react when Utterson tries to see him?
10. Jekyll finally reveals his deep dark secret to Lanyon. What is Lanyon's reaction to Jekyll's secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The case takes on a more serious tone when Inspector Newcomen from Scotland Yard enters the scene. Explain why Scotland Yard would become involved in the crime and how the agency's resources may have been more successful than those of the local police.
Essay Topic 2
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Jekyll exhibits peculiar behavior from the very start. How much of this behavior was created by the presence of Hyde? Do you think Jekyll had other personality disorders? If so, what were the symptoms? What could have prevented him from going over the edge?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)