|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jekyll react upon hearing the news that Utterson has arrived?
2. What is the urgent problem?
3. Where was Jekyll's secondary home?
4. What is the name of the footman?
5. What causes Hyde to apologize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although spectators were aghast, Jekyll did not know why. How did Jekyll avoid knowing how Hyde affected his image?
2. What is it in Jekyll's response that does not convince Utterson or Poole that everything is all right?
3. Utterson and Enfield are old friends but it is revealed that they are also related. What is their relation?
4. Jekyll's behavior has become increasingly strange. Why does Poole visit Utterson?
5. After Lanyon died, Utterson received a sealed envelope from his old friend. How did Utterson react to the bequest from Lanyon?
6. Why was Utterson hesitant to bring up Lanyon's failing health?
7. Jekyll finally reveals his deep dark secret to Lanyon. What is Lanyon's reaction to Jekyll's secret?
8. Lanyon made it clear that certain subjects were off the table. Why did Lanyon not want to discuss Jekyll?
9. Why does Jekyll send a letter to Lanyon?
10. While Utterson and Enfield are speaking to Jekyll, a sudden change comes over the doctor. What about Jekyll shocks Utterson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poole was bound by duty to honor Jekyll's wishes. However, after Poole was convinced that there was something seriously wrong with Jekyll, the butler violated his confidences and approached Utterson. Do you think the decision was difficult for Poole to make? Was it the right decision? How might the ending have changed if Poole had not interfered?
Essay Topic 2
Every person who sees Edward Hyde is paralyzed by fear and revulsion. None of the people who see Hyde's face can accurately describe it except to say that the man has an air of deformity without being deformed. What do you think they meant? Explain your opinion of Hyde's appearance.
Essay Topic 3
The case takes on a more serious tone when Inspector Newcomen from Scotland Yard enters the scene. Explain why Scotland Yard would become involved in the crime and how the agency's resources may have been more successful than those of the local police.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)