Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jekyll react upon hearing the news that Utterson has arrived?
2. How long after the meeting with Utterson does Lanyon die?
3. How much money was offered as a reward to find Carew's killer?
4. How are Utterson and Enfield related?
5. Lanyon tells Utterson that he will tell the truth about Jekyll after what event?
Essay Topic 1
The incident with Utterson and Enfield talking to Jekyll outside the window leads into a use of foreshadowing regarding Jekyll's health and well-being. Utterson and Enfield share a look of horror after Jekyll makes a hasty retreat. The author was trying to tell the reader something. Was the meaning clear? Explain your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Manners and respectability were of the highest order in Victorian times. This can be seen in the way friends disagree as well as Lanyon's reaction to Hyde's impatience and rudeness. Compare and contrast today's societal expectations and allowances when it comes to manners and respectability.
Essay Topic 3
The author describes Sir Danvers Carew's murder in horrifying detail. The maid claims that she heard Carew's bones shattering from her window. Is it possible to hear bones shatter from that distance? What other sounds might the maid have heard as she witnessed the crime?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)