|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Utterson compares Jekyll to...
2. How does Utterson handle being shut out from Jekyll's life?
3. Although Jekyll is able to view the whole picture he denies that he has become...
4. What have Jekyll and Lanyon decided?
5. Which of these things was Jekyll not promised when he was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jekyll's behavior has become increasingly strange. Why does Poole visit Utterson?
2. According to Jekyll, who will be visiting Lanyon at his home?
3. Jekyll reveals all that happened up until the time of his death. What is the purpose of Jekyll's statement?
4. What is it in Jekyll's response that does not convince Utterson or Poole that everything is all right?
5. Why was Utterson so confused by Jekyll's return to seclusion?
6. Utterson became increasingly upset when his efforts to help Jekyll were denied. Why did Utterson write a letter to Jekyll?
7. Utterson was relieved when Jekyll began to be social once again. What happened shortly after Jekyll threw a dinner party?
8. What were Utterson and Enfield doing when they spotted Jekyll?
9. Jekyll is pale and sickly looking when the men visit. What activity does Utterson suggest to Jekyll?
10. Poole is frantic when he visits Utterson. How does Utterson respond to Poole's concerns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jekyll was careful to document his scientific experiments. The rest of the tale was told through correspondence from Lanyon and Jekyll. Explore how the story might have ended if those documents did not exist? Why is it important to record history?
Essay Topic 2
The incident with Utterson and Enfield talking to Jekyll outside the window leads into a use of foreshadowing regarding Jekyll's health and well-being. Utterson and Enfield share a look of horror after Jekyll makes a hasty retreat. The author was trying to tell the reader something. Was the meaning clear? Explain your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)