|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime does Poole suspect has gone on inside the surgical theatre?
2. What does Jekyll say about his depression?
3. What became Jekyll's ultimate goal?
4. How is Jekyll sure that Hyde will not be apprehended?
5. What happens after Jekyll returns to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Utterson and Enfield doing when they spotted Jekyll?
2. While Utterson and Enfield are speaking to Jekyll, a sudden change comes over the doctor. What about Jekyll shocks Utterson?
3. Jekyll is pale and sickly looking when the men visit. What activity does Utterson suggest to Jekyll?
4. After Lanyon died, Utterson received a sealed envelope from his old friend. How did Utterson react to the bequest from Lanyon?
5. How long has Jekyll's strange behavior been going on?
6. Lanyon watches as Jekyll demonstrates his biggest triumph and failure. What is Jekyll's secret?
7. Utterson was relieved when Jekyll began to be social once again. What happened shortly after Jekyll threw a dinner party?
8. Utterson and Enfield take a walk and decide to pay a visit to Jekyll. What time of day is it when the men visit Jekyll?
9. The letter to Lanyon is peculiar and contains a specific request. What favor does Jekyll ask of Lanyon?
10. Jekyll claims that his house is not fit for company. What solution does Jekyll offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters describe Hyde as possessing a deformity without actually being deformed. What did the people mean by that statement? Was it a physical, emotional or spiritual malady? What about Hyde made him appear deformed?
Essay Topic 2
Jekyll became obsessed with uncovering the dual nature of man. How did he come upon the idea to try and separate the good and evil parts of the human being? What methods might he have tried before resorting to the chemical compound?
Essay Topic 3
Lanyon struggles with the promise he reluctantly made to Jekyll. What caused Lanyon to make such a promise? Do personal or professional ethics have a bearing on Lanyon's decision? How might you have reacted in the same circumstance?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)