|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jekyll say about his depression?
2. What is Lanyon's first name?
3. What happens repeatedly when Utterson visits Jekyll?
4. What does Utterson say to Enfield after Jekyll's departure?
5. What is the overall emotional state of the servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has Jekyll's strange behavior been going on?
2. What were Utterson and Enfield doing when they spotted Jekyll?
3. Why was Utterson hesitant to bring up Lanyon's failing health?
4. Jekyll is pale and sickly looking when the men visit. What activity does Utterson suggest to Jekyll?
5. Why does Jekyll send a letter to Lanyon?
6. Jekyll insists that while he is a man of science and considered religion as a part of his experiment, he denies that he has developed what trait?
7. Why was Utterson so confused by Jekyll's return to seclusion?
8. Jekyll finally reveals his deep dark secret to Lanyon. What is Lanyon's reaction to Jekyll's secret?
9. While Utterson and Enfield are speaking to Jekyll, a sudden change comes over the doctor. What about Jekyll shocks Utterson?
10. The letter to Lanyon is peculiar and contains a specific request. What favor does Jekyll ask of Lanyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Good and evil is a main theme in the book. The author uses physical descriptions and allusions to the difference in people depending on whether they embrace good or evil. Explore some of the differences and their meanings in regard to the theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author describes Sir Danvers Carew's murder in horrifying detail. The maid claims that she heard Carew's bones shattering from her window. Is it possible to hear bones shatter from that distance? What other sounds might the maid have heard as she witnessed the crime?
Essay Topic 3
As a lawyer, Utterson was required to maintain confidences. Utterson also had a great degree of integrity and therefore obeyed the orders to leave certain documents sealed until the specified time. What might have happened if Utterson had not honored the requests? How might it have affected his business and integrity?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)