|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jekyll react upon hearing the news that Utterson has arrived?
2. How long after the meeting with Utterson does Lanyon die?
3. How much money was offered as a reward to find Carew's killer?
4. How are Utterson and Enfield related?
5. Lanyon tells Utterson that he will tell the truth about Jekyll after what event?
Essay Topic 1
Jekyll calls on Lanyon's professional ethics to keep his secret regarding the experiment. Lanyon is reluctant to do so. What did Jekyll mean by professional ethics? As a back up, Jekyll also called upon Lanyon's friendship and duty. How would those things persuade Lanyon to agree to remain silent?
Essay Topic 2
As a lawyer, Utterson was required to maintain confidences. Utterson also had a great degree of integrity and therefore obeyed the orders to leave certain documents sealed until the specified time. What might have happened if Utterson had not honored the requests? How might it have affected his business and integrity?
Essay Topic 3
Jekyll became obsessed with uncovering the dual nature of man. How did he come upon the idea to try and separate the good and evil parts of the human being? What methods might he have tried before resorting to the chemical compound?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)