|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Utterson suggest Jekyll bring along on their walk?
2. According to hide what has Lanyon disregarded?
3. What is one major difference between Jekyll and Hyde?
4. What does Utterson find in Jekyll's office?
5. How are Utterson and Enfield related?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has Jekyll's strange behavior been going on?
2. Why was Utterson hesitant to bring up Lanyon's failing health?
3. Why does Jekyll send a letter to Lanyon?
4. Jekyll reveals all that happened up until the time of his death. What is the purpose of Jekyll's statement?
5. Utterson became increasingly upset when his efforts to help Jekyll were denied. Why did Utterson write a letter to Jekyll?
6. What was the first major change Jekyll noticed about his body in regard to Hyde?
7. According to Jekyll, who will be visiting Lanyon at his home?
8. Jekyll finally reveals his deep dark secret to Lanyon. What is Lanyon's reaction to Jekyll's secret?
9. The letter to Lanyon is peculiar and contains a specific request. What favor does Jekyll ask of Lanyon?
10. The author makes it clear that Hyde was a metaphor. What did Hyde represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main characters in the book is G.J. Utterson, a lawyer. Utterson works for Dr. Jekyll among other clients and has great insight into his friend of many years. Why was Utterson a good choice as a main character? Do you think the story would have been better without him?
Essay Topic 2
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Jekyll exhibits peculiar behavior from the very start. How much of this behavior was created by the presence of Hyde? Do you think Jekyll had other personality disorders? If so, what were the symptoms? What could have prevented him from going over the edge?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)