|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime does Poole suspect has gone on inside the surgical theatre?
2. How does Jekyll react upon hearing the news that Utterson has arrived?
3. What day of the week does Utterson finally see Jekyll?
4. What is the new observation about Hyde's door?
5. Jekyll no longer feared the gallows. Instead, he came to fear...
Essay Topic 1
The incident with Utterson and Enfield talking to Jekyll outside the window leads into a use of foreshadowing regarding Jekyll's health and well-being. Utterson and Enfield share a look of horror after Jekyll makes a hasty retreat. The author was trying to tell the reader something. Was the meaning clear? Explain your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Manners and respectability were of the highest order in Victorian times. This can be seen in the way friends disagree as well as Lanyon's reaction to Hyde's impatience and rudeness. Compare and contrast today's societal expectations and allowances when it comes to manners and respectability.
Essay Topic 3
Jekyll became obsessed with uncovering the dual nature of man. How did he come upon the idea to try and separate the good and evil parts of the human being? What methods might he have tried before resorting to the chemical compound?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)