|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the meeting with Utterson does Lanyon die?
2. What day of the week does Utterson finally see Jekyll?
3. What was the main physical difference between Jekyll and Hyde?
4. What does Utterson say to Enfield after Jekyll's departure?
5. Utterson and Poole go on a quest for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Utterson and Enfield are old friends but it is revealed that they are also related. What is their relation?
2. Although spectators were aghast, Jekyll did not know why. How did Jekyll avoid knowing how Hyde affected his image?
3. After Lanyon died, Utterson received a sealed envelope from his old friend. How did Utterson react to the bequest from Lanyon?
4. Why does Jekyll send a letter to Lanyon?
5. Why was Utterson hesitant to bring up Lanyon's failing health?
6. While Utterson and Enfield are speaking to Jekyll, a sudden change comes over the doctor. What about Jekyll shocks Utterson?
7. What is it in Jekyll's response that does not convince Utterson or Poole that everything is all right?
8. Jekyll claims that his house is not fit for company. What solution does Jekyll offer?
9. What was the first major change Jekyll noticed about his body in regard to Hyde?
10. Utterson was relieved when Jekyll began to be social once again. What happened shortly after Jekyll threw a dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main characters in the book is G.J. Utterson, a lawyer. Utterson works for Dr. Jekyll among other clients and has great insight into his friend of many years. Why was Utterson a good choice as a main character? Do you think the story would have been better without him?
Essay Topic 2
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
Essay Topic 3
Manners and respectability were of the highest order in Victorian times. This can be seen in the way friends disagree as well as Lanyon's reaction to Hyde's impatience and rudeness. Compare and contrast today's societal expectations and allowances when it comes to manners and respectability.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)