|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object did Hyde carry?
2. What does Utterson believe were Hyde's intentions?
3. What is another name for Jekyll's laboratory?
4. What item did the police retrieve from the ashes?
5. What best explains the characteristics of Jekyll and Hyde?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jekyll remains locked in his lab, he suddenly becomes agitated. Why is Jekyll upset?
2. As Utterson and Jekyll speak, Utterson notices a drastic change in his friend's demeanor. What causes Jekyll to turn pale?
3. What object cemented Utterson's theory that the murderer was Hyde?
4. Although Utterson was a quiet man who was not prone to being the center of attention, people seemed to flock to him. Why did people like to be in Utterson's company?
5. Utterson and Enfield come upon a building with no windows and a mysterious door. What is so strange about the door?
6. Utterson is restless and decides that he must go immediately to Jekyll's house. Why does Utterson go to Jekyll's house?
7. Jekyll presents a strong argument for Utterson to respect his wishes regarding the will. What causes Utterson to finally concede to Jekyll's will?
8. There is speculation that Jekyll's good standing could be destroyed. What might damage Jekyll's reputation?
9. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
10. Utterson is relieved but not reassured by Jekyll's promise to never do something ever again. What does Jekyll say he would never do again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a lawyer, Utterson was required to maintain confidences. Utterson also had a great degree of integrity and therefore obeyed the orders to leave certain documents sealed until the specified time. What might have happened if Utterson had not honored the requests? How might it have affected his business and integrity?
Essay Topic 2
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
Essay Topic 3
Lanyon struggles with the promise he reluctantly made to Jekyll. What caused Lanyon to make such a promise? Do personal or professional ethics have a bearing on Lanyon's decision? How might you have reacted in the same circumstance?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)