|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the police intend to capture Hyde?
2. Jekyll refers to Lanyon as being...
3. What causes Utterson to go to Dr. Jekyll's house?
4. What topic does Utterson broach when he is finally alone with Jekyll?
5. What is the name of Jekyll's butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jekyll presents a strong argument for Utterson to respect his wishes regarding the will. What causes Utterson to finally concede to Jekyll's will?
2. Shortly after Carew's murder took place, Utterson was notified. Why did the police contact Utterson?
3. Why does Utterson pay a visit to Dr. Lanyon?
4. A stranger on the street attracted the attention of many bystanders, including Mr. Enfield. Why was Mr. Enfield shocked by the stranger?
5. What is the butler's response when Utterson asks him about Hyde?
6. Utterson and Enfield come upon a building with no windows and a mysterious door. What is so strange about the door?
7. As Jekyll remains locked in his lab, he suddenly becomes agitated. Why is Jekyll upset?
8. Utterson visits Jekyll and is shown the note from Hyde. What does Jekyll lie to Utterson about?
9. Utterson attempts to speak with Jekyll about his isolation and obvious distress. What does Jekyll refuse to talk about?
10. There is speculation that Jekyll's good standing could be destroyed. What might damage Jekyll's reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters describe Hyde as possessing a deformity without actually being deformed. What did the people mean by that statement? Was it a physical, emotional or spiritual malady? What about Hyde made him appear deformed?
Essay Topic 2
As a lawyer, Utterson was required to maintain confidences. Utterson also had a great degree of integrity and therefore obeyed the orders to leave certain documents sealed until the specified time. What might have happened if Utterson had not honored the requests? How might it have affected his business and integrity?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses a series of flashbacks throughout the book in order to explain the behaviors of some of the characters. Do you think the use of flashback was effective or did it cause a deficiency in the story?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)