|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jekyll's title?
2. Why is Utterson disturbed?
3. When is Hyde first spotted?
4. How many windows does the old building have?
5. What is the name of Jekyll's lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the condition of Hyde's house when it was inspected?
2. Jekyll presents a strong argument for Utterson to respect his wishes regarding the will. What causes Utterson to finally concede to Jekyll's will?
3. Utterson and Enfield come upon a building with no windows and a mysterious door. What is so strange about the door?
4. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
5. Utterson and Jekyll manage to get some time alone at the end of the evening. What topic did Utterson broach with Jekyll?
6. Utterson visits Jekyll and is shown the note from Hyde. What does Jekyll lie to Utterson about?
7. How does Hyde react when Utterson says that their mutual friend is Jekyll?
8. Utterson and Enfield were discussing Jekyll but Enfield would not speak the doctor's name aloud. Why did Enfield refuse to reveal Jekyll's name?
9. Utterson attempts to speak with Jekyll about his isolation and obvious distress. What does Jekyll refuse to talk about?
10. As a friend and attorney, Utterson frequently helped Jekyll with legal matters. Why is Utterson disturbed by Jekyll's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poole was bound by duty to honor Jekyll's wishes. However, after Poole was convinced that there was something seriously wrong with Jekyll, the butler violated his confidences and approached Utterson. Do you think the decision was difficult for Poole to make? Was it the right decision? How might the ending have changed if Poole had not interfered?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a series of flashbacks throughout the book in order to explain the behaviors of some of the characters. Do you think the use of flashback was effective or did it cause a deficiency in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Guest was an expert in handwriting analysis. Guest was the first to recognize that the writing styles of Jekyll and Hyde were almost identical. When questioned, Guest claims that Jekyll is not mad. Explain how Guest came about the conclusion regarding Jekyll's sanity and how the mental state changed Jekyll's handwriting.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)