|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item did the police retrieve from the ashes?
(a) Travel itinerary
(c) Cheque book
(d) Packet of letters
2. What does Jekyll lie about?
(a) The will
(b) Hyde's whereabouts
(c) His alibi
(d) Delivery of the letter
3. Utterson originally thought Jekyll's will was madness. Now the man thinks it might be...
(d) Null and void
4. How old is Jekyll?
5. What time did the maid call the police?
(b) 11 P.M.
(c) 2 A.M.
(d) 3 A.M.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jekyll apologize for Hyde?
2. What term does Lanyon use to describe Jekyll's experiments?
3. What is the name of the stranger?
4. Where do the old friends meet?
5. Who narrates the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a friend and attorney, Utterson frequently helped Jekyll with legal matters. Why is Utterson disturbed by Jekyll's will?
2. Utterson and Newcomen visit Hyde's SoHo residence. What was strange about Hyde's servants' observations?
3. Utterson attempts to speak with Jekyll about his isolation and obvious distress. What does Jekyll refuse to talk about?
4. Shortly after Carew's murder took place, Utterson was notified. Why did the police contact Utterson?
5. What was the condition of Hyde's house when it was inspected?
6. Utterson and Enfield were discussing Jekyll but Enfield would not speak the doctor's name aloud. Why did Enfield refuse to reveal Jekyll's name?
7. The police take detailed information about the crime with the child. When was the stranger first seen?
8. A stranger on the street attracted the attention of many bystanders, including Mr. Enfield. Why was Mr. Enfield shocked by the stranger?
9. Utterson's feeling of dread begins to strengthen. What convinces Utterson that Jekyll is in big trouble?
10. What was Utterson's issue with Jekyll's legal business?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)