|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which era does the story take place?
2. What promise does Jekyll extract from Utterson?
(a) That Utterson should never return to Jekyll's house
(b) That Utterson will sign the will
(c) That Utterson will leave town
(d) That Utterson will never speak to Hyde again
3. What does Utterson suspect the relationship is between Jekyll and Hyde?
(a) Romantic involvement
4. Approximately how much time passed before the murder took place?
(a) One year
(b) Six months
(c) Three months
(d) Two years
5. How long is it before Utterson sees Jekyll?
(a) Three days
(b) Two months
(c) Two weeks
(d) Three weeks
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Utterson speak about Jekyll?
2. What evidence does Jekyll give to Utterson?
3. How does Jekyll hear about the murder?
4. What item did Jekyll burn?
5. Utterson begs Jekyll to reveal what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Utterson is relieved but not reassured by Jekyll's promise to never do something ever again. What does Jekyll say he would never do again?
2. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
3. Why was Utterson so confused by Jekyll's return to seclusion?
4. A maid sitting in an upstairs window witnesses the murder of Sir Carew. Why did the maid wait so long to contact the police?
5. Why does Jekyll send a letter to Lanyon?
6. The traumatized family received money for their troubles. Who wrote the check?
7. How does Hyde react when Utterson says that their mutual friend is Jekyll?
8. Utterson and Newcomen visit Hyde's SoHo residence. What was strange about Hyde's servants' observations?
9. A stranger on the street attracted the attention of many bystanders, including Mr. Enfield. Why was Mr. Enfield shocked by the stranger?
10. What is the butler's response when Utterson asks him about Hyde?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)