|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time did the maid call the police?
(a) 11 P.M.
(b) 2 A.M.
(c) 3 A.M.
2. What's the name of Utterson's clerk?
3. In which era does the story take place?
4. What is the name of the lawyer's friend?
5. What promise does Jekyll extract from Utterson?
(a) That Utterson will never speak to Hyde again
(b) That Utterson will sign the will
(c) That Utterson will leave town
(d) That Utterson should never return to Jekyll's house
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Jekyll's two oldest friends?
2. Where did Hyde live?
3. What item did the police retrieve from the ashes?
4. What is another name for Jekyll's laboratory?
5. What did the dinner guests have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Utterson attempts to speak with Jekyll about his isolation and obvious distress. What does Jekyll refuse to talk about?
2. What was Utterson's issue with Jekyll's legal business?
3. The traumatized family received money for their troubles. Who wrote the check?
4. Utterson is restless and decides that he must go immediately to Jekyll's house. Why does Utterson go to Jekyll's house?
5. Utterson visits Jekyll and is shown the note from Hyde. What does Jekyll lie to Utterson about?
6. As a friend and attorney, Utterson frequently helped Jekyll with legal matters. Why is Utterson disturbed by Jekyll's will?
7. There is speculation that Jekyll's good standing could be destroyed. What might damage Jekyll's reputation?
8. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
9. The police take detailed information about the crime with the child. When was the stranger first seen?
10. Utterson's feeling of dread begins to strengthen. What convinces Utterson that Jekyll is in big trouble?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)