|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange object captures the eyes of the friends as they walk down the street?
(c) Post box
2. What is the name of Jekyll's butler?
3. What trait is highly sought after in the time of the book?
(b) Having money
4. How did Enfield describe Hyde to Utterson?
(a) Enfield could not explain
(b) Like a schoolyard bully
(c) Like the peculiar uncle
(d) As having an invisible deformity
5. Which of these was not located near Hyde's house?
(a) French eatery
(b) Utterson's office
(c) Retail shop
(d) Gin palace
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Utterson disturbed?
2. Who did the stranger terrorize?
3. How is the money paid?
4. Where did Hyde live?
5. Utterson begs Jekyll to reveal what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Utterson is relieved but not reassured by Jekyll's promise to never do something ever again. What does Jekyll say he would never do again?
2. Utterson's feeling of dread begins to strengthen. What convinces Utterson that Jekyll is in big trouble?
3. What was Utterson's issue with Jekyll's legal business?
4. There is speculation that Jekyll's good standing could be destroyed. What might damage Jekyll's reputation?
5. As Jekyll remains locked in his lab, he suddenly becomes agitated. Why is Jekyll upset?
6. Jekyll presents a strong argument for Utterson to respect his wishes regarding the will. What causes Utterson to finally concede to Jekyll's will?
7. Utterson and Lanyon are relieved when Jekyll takes a break from his ongoing isolation. Who was invited to dinner at Jekyll's house?
8. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
9. A maid sitting in an upstairs window witnesses the murder of Sir Carew. Why did the maid wait so long to contact the police?
10. G.J. Utterson is a lawyer who appears in the first part of the book. Given Utterson's occupation, what is unusual about his behavior?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)