|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Utterson speak about Jekyll?
2. How does Jekyll react when Utterson mentions Hyde?
(a) Jekyll turns pale
(b) Jekyll ignores Utterson
(c) Jekyll becomes angry
(d) The conversation is interrupted
3. What is the name of Jekyll's lawyer?
4. Mr. Enfield has a rule about what?
(a) Asking questions
(b) Crossing against a light
(c) Giving advice
(d) Smoking in public
5. Who admitted Utterson to Jekyll's house?
(c) The maid
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Utterson go to Jekyll's house?
2. Jekyll refers to Lanyon as being...
3. Where do the old friends meet?
4. What does Utterson suspect the relationship is between Jekyll and Hyde?
5. What is the name of the lawyer's friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is speculation that Jekyll's good standing could be destroyed. What might damage Jekyll's reputation?
2. A maid sitting in an upstairs window witnesses the murder of Sir Carew. Why did the maid wait so long to contact the police?
3. What was Utterson's issue with Jekyll's legal business?
4. Utterson and Enfield come upon a building with no windows and a mysterious door. What is so strange about the door?
5. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
6. As a friend and attorney, Utterson frequently helped Jekyll with legal matters. Why is Utterson disturbed by Jekyll's will?
7. Utterson and Enfield were discussing Jekyll but Enfield would not speak the doctor's name aloud. Why did Enfield refuse to reveal Jekyll's name?
8. G.J. Utterson is a lawyer who appears in the first part of the book. Given Utterson's occupation, what is unusual about his behavior?
9. As Utterson and Jekyll speak, Utterson notices a drastic change in his friend's demeanor. What causes Jekyll to turn pale?
10. A stranger on the street attracted the attention of many bystanders, including Mr. Enfield. Why was Mr. Enfield shocked by the stranger?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)