|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the victim?
2. Approximately how much time passed before the murder took place?
(a) One year
(b) Six months
(c) Two years
(d) Three months
3. What evidence does Jekyll give to Utterson?
(b) Bloody shoe
(c) Murder weapon
4. What is the name of the lawyer's friend?
5. In which era does the story take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe the condition of the building?
2. How many windows does the old building have?
3. Where did Hyde live?
4. What is the name of the stranger?
5. What might come out at Hyde's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the condition of Hyde's house when it was inspected?
2. Why does Utterson pay a visit to Dr. Lanyon?
3. Utterson attempts to speak with Jekyll about his isolation and obvious distress. What does Jekyll refuse to talk about?
4. Shortly after Carew's murder took place, Utterson was notified. Why did the police contact Utterson?
5. Utterson finally has the opportunity to meet Mr. Hyde. What is the overall impression Utterson has of Hyde?
6. G.J. Utterson is a lawyer who appears in the first part of the book. Given Utterson's occupation, what is unusual about his behavior?
7. Jekyll presents a strong argument for Utterson to respect his wishes regarding the will. What causes Utterson to finally concede to Jekyll's will?
8. As Utterson and Jekyll speak, Utterson notices a drastic change in his friend's demeanor. What causes Jekyll to turn pale?
9. Utterson is restless and decides that he must go immediately to Jekyll's house. Why does Utterson go to Jekyll's house?
10. There is speculation that Jekyll's good standing could be destroyed. What might damage Jekyll's reputation?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)