|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What TV show reminds Hoke of Idella whenever he sees it?
2. Who is Boolie's father?
3. What gift does Boolie bring for the long trip his Mama is taking?
4. What does Daisy give Hoke as a Christmas present?
5. Where is one of Hoke's family members a professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What specialties of Idella's can Hoke and Daisy replicate?
2. How does Daisy treat Hoke when he first starts working for her?
3. What initial impression does Uhry want the audience to have of Daisy, based on how he describes what her clothes, hair, and walk should be like?
4. What is the "perpetual care" that Daisy mentions while at the cemetery with Hoke?
5. What awkward example does Hoke give for how he won't let Daisy get away from him/fire him?
6. How does Boolie react when he hears Daisy call Hoke "handy"?
7. How does Daisy react to the story Hoke tells about the lynching he witnessed as a child?
8. How does Hoke initially react to Daisy's declarations that she's not rich?
9. Why does Hoke tell Boolie about Jeanette Harris's offer?
10. Why does Boolie hire a chauffeur for Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Daisy decide to help Hoke learn how to read and write? What does this choice show us about her character? What does the reader/viewer learn about her from the way she chooses to teach him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not turning a play into a movie is a good idea and a fair way to treat a play. What challenges arise? What benefits are there?
Essay Topic 3
Daisy is very concerned with keeping an appearance that does not draw attention to herself, yet she also makes some unconventional choices throughout the play. Discuss whether or not Daisy is a conformist, using specific examples and quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)