|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accessory is Hoke carrying with him when Boolie first meets him?
2. What kind of cap does Hoke wear when he is driving Daisy?
3. Why does Daisy claim her students always liked her?
4. Why does Daisy become alarmed when she is home alone during the ice storm?
5. When she begins to snap out of being disoriented, who does Daisy say is her best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "perpetual care" that Daisy mentions while at the cemetery with Hoke?
2. What specialty of Idealla's can Hoke and Daisy *not* replicate?
3. In the preface, what does Uhry have to say about a real Hoke?
4. What awkward example does Hoke give for how he won't let Daisy get away from him/fire him?
5. What initial impression does Uhry want the audience to have of Daisy, based on how he describes what her clothes, hair, and walk should be like?
6. What does Daisy say Florine sounds like when she tries to sing holiday music?
7. Why does Hoke decline Jeanette Harris's offer?
8. What offer does Jeanette Harris make to Hoke?
9. What does Hoke tell Boolie about how having people fight over him makes him feel?
10. How does Boolie come to meet Hoke?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character from the novel and discuss how that character's race both limits and does not limit what Uhry is able to do with them as a character.
Essay Topic 2
In 1988, Driving Miss Daisy won the Pulitzer Prize. Name the 3 strongest features of the play, what makes them particularly strong, and why you think each strength may have contributed to the play's prize.
Essay Topic 3
Name at least 3 literary devices that an author can use to create witty and humorous banter. To support your choices, provide specific examples from Driving Miss Daisy where Urhy successfully employs these devices.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)