|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boolie call to check on Daisy during the ice storm?
2. Why doesn't Boolie want to go to the banquet?
3. Why does Daisy think Hoke enjoys Christmas at Boolie and Florine's?
4. How does Hoke get information from the newspaper?
5. Shortly after Hoke starts working for her, what does Daisy think Hoke has stolen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daisy find out that Hoke can't read?
2. Why does Hoke call Daisy "the best widow in the state of Georgia" while they are at the cemetery?
3. What does Hoke think his chauffeur job is originally going to entail?
4. What exactly is a Pullman porter?
5. In the preface, what does Uhry have to say about a real Boolie?
6. Who taught Daisy what (little) she knows about cars?
7. What offer does Jeanette Harris make to Hoke?
8. What does Hoke have to say about the stereotypes that exist about Jews?
9. Who is Leo Bauer?
10. Why does Hoke react the way he does when Daisy invites him to the Martin Luther King, Jr. dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Driving Miss Daisy made into a movie? Why was that movie so successful? What major theme or themes connected with such a large audience?
Essay Topic 2
Name at least 3 ways in which Driving Miss Daisy would be different if Florine were not present in the play. Make sure to discuss why her presence, while seemingly minimal, still has an impact on things like plot, character development, and foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Daisy decide to help Hoke learn how to read and write? What does this choice show us about her character? What does the reader/viewer learn about her from the way she chooses to teach him?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)