|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boolie call to check on Daisy during the ice storm?
2. When do Hoke and Boolie tell Daisy that her house has been sold?
3. Where is Jeanette Harris from?
4. What is particularly disturbing about the lynching that Hoke witnesses?
5. What is a "Piggly Wiggly"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hoke ask if Boolie is Jewish?
2. How does Daisy react to the story Hoke tells about the lynching he witnessed as a child?
3. How does Daisy react when Hoke tells her the temple has been bombed?
4. How does Daisy feel about Florine's Christmas festivities?
5. Why does Hoke tell Boolie about Jeanette Harris's offer?
6. Why is Daisy so bothered by Florine's Christmas decorations and celebrations?
7. How does Daisy treat Hoke when he first starts working for her?
8. How does Boolie react when he hears Daisy call Hoke "handy"?
9. What happens to Daisy when Hoke exits the car during their ride back from Mobile?
10. Why does Hoke react the way he does when Daisy invites him to the Martin Luther King, Jr. dinner?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Hoke appear to neglect his family so much? Is this a reflection on his character and his character's values, or is it simply a convenient plot device? Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not turning a play into a movie is a good idea and a fair way to treat a play. What challenges arise? What benefits are there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the growth of the friendship between Daisy and Hoke. Make sure to use specific examples and quotes to demonstrate the growth and to address at least 3 literary devices that Uhry uses.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)