|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is breeding in the writer woman's house?
2. In Chapter 7, what type of birds does Janina see?
3. What does Janina grab for a weapon when she is awakened in the night in Chapter 1?
4. What does a fox lead Janina to in Chapter 7?
5. What type of animal does Janina say in Chapter 7 she found with a bullet in its skull?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is learned about the Commandant and his death in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 7, how is Janina feeling in mid-March, and where does she go?
3. Why does Janina say that she is not a good astrologer?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Janina think she might do next winter?
5. What do the men have Janina do when she comes to Big Foot's house in Chapter 3?
6. In Chapter 5, how does Janina describe her ailments?
7. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Janina dream?
8. Why is it difficult for Janina to wake up when Oddball comes to her door in Chapter 1?
9. What makes Dizzy go to the Pass, and what does he find?
10. In Chapter 6, what information does Oddball share about Big Foot's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Janina does not agree with Father Rustle’s views. What do they disagree on? How does their disagreement relate to the theme of hunting and protection of animals?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the storyline? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 3
Janina enjoys astrology. What is revealed about astrology and its meaning through Janina’s practice of astrology?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)