|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knapp's memoir describe?
2. Knapp's first drunk resulted from what drink?
3. Where does Knapp see alcoholics?
4. What would Knapp do if she felt that she did not have enough in her glass?
5. Who would Knapp meet for drinks after work when she was younger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Knapp do when she met her friend Sam for drinks?
2. What does Knapp think began her addictions?
3. What is Knapp's mantra?
4. How does alcohol affect Knapp's relationship with David?
5. What would happen when Knapp would wake at night when she was drinking?
6. How does alcohol affect Knapp's relationships, emotions, and thoughts?
7. How does Knapp's friend Elaine inadvertently help Knapp keep drinking?
8. What was the emotional atmosphere of Knapp's childhood?
9. Describe the yearning that drove Knapp to drink.
10. How were Knapp's personal and professional lives different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do different characters act as alter egos for Knapp? Does her need for an alter ego change over the course of the book? Do her relationships rise above the alter ego relationship and become real relationships with people who are real in their own right, outside of her own need for an alter ego?
Essay Topic 2
How does Knapp's work change over the course of her drinking? She compartmentalizes it at first, but how do drinking and quitting drinking become work as well? How does drinking change her sense of her writing work?
Essay Topic 3
How do Knapp's attempts to hide her drinking from herself and from others change over the course of the book? What strategies does she use, and how do her strategies change?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)