|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Knapp like in her professional life?
2. What gesture does Knapp make after the confrontation with her mother?
3. What kinds of things would Knapp obsessively yearn for?
4. Which friend of Knapp's had raging alcoholism in the family?
5. Who was Knapp's boyfriend at the time when her father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Knapp say runs through her mind when she wakes up next to a stranger?
2. How does alcohol affect Knapp's relationships, emotions, and thoughts?
3. Describe the first time Knapp got drunk.
4. How would sex make Knapp's friend Meg feel?
5. How does Knapp strategize to hide her drinking at the end?
6. What was the emotional atmosphere of Knapp's childhood?
7. How were Knapp's personal and professional lives different?
8. What does Knapp tell her boss when she hobbles into work after dropping her friend's children?
9. What does Knapp love about drinking?
10. What does Knapp realize after AA and years of therapy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Knapp's relationship with her family like? Do they lead her to drinking? Do they lead her out of it? How does her relationship with her family change over time?
Essay Topic 2
How does drinking affect Knapp's body and her sense of her body? Specifically, how does her relationship with her appearance and her weight reflect her drinking? How does her relationship with food and her body change when she quits drinking? How does that change take place?
Essay Topic 3
How do different characters act as alter egos for Knapp? Does her need for an alter ego change over the course of the book? Do her relationships rise above the alter ego relationship and become real relationships with people who are real in their own right, outside of her own need for an alter ego?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)