|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chemical does the brain release under the influence of alcohol?
2. How does Knapp describe Janet?
(a) Twenty-two years old and overweight.
(b) Thirty-seven years old, tall and beautiful.
(c) Seventeen years old and perpetually insecure.
(d) Forty-seven years old and homely.
3. What happened around the time Knapp moved into a new apartment?
(a) Her car was repossessed.
(b) Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.
(c) She declared bankruptcy.
(d) She was diagnosed with ovarian cysts.
4. How are drinking and anorexia the same for Knapp?
(a) They both show her her true worth.
(b) They both keep her from discovering her true feelings.
(c) They both helped her express herself.
(d) They both make her feel fulfilled.
5. Who is waiting for Knapp to check in at Beech Hill?
(b) No one.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her doctor.
6. How does drinking change for Knapp after her mother dies?
(a) She resolves to quit.
(b) She is never sober.
(c) She becomes desperate.
(d) She fights more with Julian.
7. How does Knapp feel as she loses weight?
(a) She feels superior to heavier women.
(b) She feels more insecure than ever.
(c) She feels invisible to everyone.
(d) She feels safe from men's desire.
8. What precipitated Knapp's last spiral of things getting worse?
(a) Her father died.
(b) She lost her job.
(c) Michael and Julian found out about each other.
(d) She wrecked her car.
9. What do the test results in Chapter 8 indicate?
(a) That Knapp is in the final stage of alcoholism.
(b) That Knapp is not damaging herself with her drinking.
(c) That Knapp is in bad health.
(d) That Knapp is not cut out for graduate school.
10. How much does Michael drink?
(a) Not much.
(b) Not at all.
(d) A lot.
11. How does Michael feel about Knapp?
(a) Critical of her bad reputation.
(b) Wary of her drinking.
(c) Happy to be with her.
(d) Happy to teach her everything he knows.
12. What does Knapp think of the people she meets at the AA meeting?
(a) She does not identify with 'those people.'
(b) She sees herself in each of them.
(c) She is embarrassed for them.
(d) She distinguishes between drinkers and drunks.
13. How did Janet act when she went to college?
(a) She went crazy, over-eating and over-drinking.
(b) She studied hard, but drank to keep the pressure off.
(c) She was constantly insecure.
(d) She could never cope unless she was drinking.
14. What does Julian ask Knapp to change?
(a) Her income.
(b) Her appearance.
(c) Her profession.
(d) Her drinking.
15. How does Knapp behave the last time Julian threw her out?
(a) She burned all his letters to her in the sink.
(b) She left on good terms, with respect for each other.
(c) He practically had to pry her fingers from the furniture.
(d) She was taken away to the rehab clinic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Knapp's friend Janet realize that she is an alcoholic?
2. What do members of AA offer each other?
3. What was Janet's weight like during college?
4. What does Knapp do in addition to ceasing to eat?
5. What happens when Tess wakes up in the morning, as Knapp tells the story?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)