|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Knapp describe Janet?
(a) Thirty-seven years old, tall and beautiful.
(b) Seventeen years old and perpetually insecure.
(c) Twenty-two years old and overweight.
(d) Forty-seven years old and homely.
2. How does Knapp describe Julian?
(a) Open, easy-going.
(b) Snobby, judgmental.
(c) Intellectual, refined.
(d) Accepting, unmotivated.
3. What precipitated Knapp's last spiral of things getting worse?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) She wrecked her car.
(c) Michael and Julian found out about each other.
(d) Her father died.
4. What sensation does the chemical that the brain releases create?
5. How does Knapp say alcohol is seen in some circles?
(a) As a religious exhilaration.
(b) As an illness.
(c) As a rite.
(d) As a sacred weakness.
6. What was Knapp's logic about drinking?
(a) She was an alcoholic and couldn't help herself.
(b) It was a good form of revenge against her family and the world.
(c) It wasn't hurting anyone but herself.
(d) Nothing bad happened, so why stop?
7. How does drinking affect the brain?
(a) It creates pleasant hallucinations.
(b) It stimulates the reward system.
(c) It suppresses fears.
(d) It creates the sensation of calm and well being.
8. How does Knapp feel at rehab?
9. What kind of man is Michael?
(a) Kind and loving.
(b) Ambitious and friendly.
(c) Critical and judgmental.
(d) Disorganized but affectionate.
10. How does Knapp justify her drinking?
(a) She always knows how many drinks she's had.
(b) She always feels fine.
(c) She always gets home safely.
(d) She can always tell what time it is.
11. What did Knapp learn at AA?
(a) How to increase her tolerance.
(b) How to quit effectively.
(c) Other people's experiences.
(d) How to hide her drinking.
12. How did Knapp spend her last night before rehab?
(a) Passed out in Michael's room.
(b) With her sister.
(c) Drinking at home alone.
(d) Drinking a little with Julian.
13. What physical symptoms does Tess experience on her way home?
(a) She cannot breathe.
(b) She has terrible pains in her belly.
(c) Temporary blindness.
(d) Heaving bleeding.
14. How does Knapp's sister's wedding make Knapp feel about her relationship?
(a) She sees what she will need to do to get married.
(b) She is confident that she is on the way to being married too.
(c) She feels her relationship is failing.
(d) She knows that the relationship is wrong for her.
15. What does Knapp think of the people she meets at the AA meeting?
(a) She sees herself in each of them.
(b) She is embarrassed for them.
(c) She distinguishes between drinkers and drunks.
(d) She does not identify with 'those people.'
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knapp learn at AA?
2. What is the typical drinker's relationship with alcohol like after they quit drinking?
3. How does Knapp react to the AA meeting?
4. How does Knapp feel after she and Michael sleep together for the first time?
5. What do the test results in Chapter 8 indicate?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)