|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Julian and Knapp do together as they get to know each other?
(a) Go to AA meetings.
(b) Take long hikes.
(c) Drink together.
(d) Read in bed.
2. How does Knapp express her feelings to Julian?
(a) She never tells him her feelings.
(b) She gets him to sit down with her every other week to go through any issues.
(c) She holds them in until they burst out when she's drunk.
(d) She writes him long funny letters.
3. How does Knapp behave the last time Julian threw her out?
(a) She burned all his letters to her in the sink.
(b) She was taken away to the rehab clinic.
(c) He practically had to pry her fingers from the furniture.
(d) She left on good terms, with respect for each other.
4. How did Janet deal with the pain she felt?
(a) She drank till she blacked out.
(b) She made herself throw up.
(c) She studied.
(d) She cut herself.
5. What does Tess do the next day after her medical emergency?
(a) She starts AA.
(b) She does nothing.
(c) She goes to rehab.
(d) She keeps drinking.
6. What does Knapp do when Julian throws her out?
(a) Moves to Boston.
(b) Gets an apartment close to his.
(c) Moves to New Orleans.
(d) Lives on the street for a little while.
7. How does Knapp describe Janet?
(a) Seventeen years old and perpetually insecure.
(b) Forty-seven years old and homely.
(c) Twenty-two years old and overweight.
(d) Thirty-seven years old, tall and beautiful.
8. What condition is Knapp in when she goes to the therapist?
9. What does Knapp talk with her therapist about?
(a) Her parents.
10. What does Knapp think about William?
(a) He does not understand drinking.
(b) He is in denial.
(c) He is helpful as she tries to quit.
(d) He is right about her drinking.
11. What does Knapp do in addition to ceasing to eat?
(a) She studies harder than ever.
(b) She works out compulsively.
(c) She begins to use cocaine.
(d) She calls everyone she knows and yells at them.
12. What motivates Knapp to stay sober?
(a) Her desire to know what it is to be alive.
(b) Her desire to keep Michael in her life.
(c) Her shame about her behavior.
(d) Her promise to her sister.
13. What does Knapp do when she goes to her first AA meeting?
(a) Watch the whole meeting.
(b) Tells all her stories.
(c) Yells at the drinkers.
(d) Walks out immediately.
14. How long after Knapp moves out of Julian's apartment does she meet Michael?
(a) Six months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) A year.
(d) A few months.
15. How does Knapp justify her drinking?
(a) She always gets home safely.
(b) She can always tell what time it is.
(c) She always knows how many drinks she's had.
(d) She always feels fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Knapp's friend Abby realize that she is an alcoholic?
2. What frightens Knapp at rehab?
3. How do Knapp and Julian celebrate their decision to move in together?
4. What happened as Knapp ceases to eat?
5. How does drinking affect the brain?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)