|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Stela Bennis never remember?
2. Who did Mernissi go to for comfort at the end of the book after she realized that she and Samir would no longer be together as playmates?
3. Who did Chama receive a love letter from that Samir and Mernissi delivered to her?
4. What does Mernissi say was the turning point in her relationship with her mother?
5. What did Mernissi want her father to have made for her when she sang nationalist songs for her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Samir thrown out of the women's hamman?
2. Why did Aunt Habiba visit the forbidden terrace?
3. What did Mernissi like about the nationalist school she was allowed to attend?
4. What did the big bird design Aunt Habiba was stitching symbolize to her?
5. Why did Chama get discouraged about her audience when she tried to put on plays?
6. What did the grownups think that children should know about violence?
7. Why was Mernissi's mother not allowed to go to literacy classes?
8. Why did Mernissi and Samir's friendship begin to deteriorate as they grew older?
9. Why did Mernissi like to hide in olive jars?
10. Why did the women of the harem attend Sidi Belal's possession dance in secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the appearance of American soldiers in Morocco for the first time impact the harem and their illicit activities on the terrace? Why was Mernissi's father against American products, and what did her mother have to say about women using these products?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Mernissi's father tried to balance his belief in traditional values with accepting his wife's yearning for a freer, more independent life. Choose three examples that show his support for her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chama's plays and their importance in the harem. How did they provide entertainment and knowledge? In what ways did the women discover hidden talents because of the plays?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)