|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Egyptian feminist Huda Sha'raoui known for?
2. Who said that Mernissi's mother was a bad influence on Chama?
3. What did Mernissi have to study in order to learn how to weave "terrace magic"?
4. What was the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
5. Who had trouble sitting through a dance ritual and was shown to the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mernissi's mother not allowed to go to literacy classes?
2. Why did Chama get discouraged about her audience when she tried to put on plays?
3. What did Mina tell Mernissi about the gap between men and women?
4. Who was Princess Burdur?
5. What did the grownups think that children should know about violence?
6. What did the big bird design Aunt Habiba was stitching symbolize to her?
7. Why did Mernissi and Samir's friendship begin to deteriorate as they grew older?
8. Why did Mernissi become involved with shour, or magic practices?
9. How did Mernissi's mother tame her daughter's unruly hair?
10. What was Aunt Habiba's rule for the children who attended Sidi Belal's dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of frontiers in Mernissi's life. Where did she encounter them? How did they make her feel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the progress in women's rights that Mernissi witnessed during her childhood. Why did Chama think that her generation of women were being sacrificed? What change regarding dress did Mernissi's mother put into effect that changed her life for the better?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mernissi's father tried to balance his belief in traditional values with accepting his wife's yearning for a freer, more independent life. Choose three examples that show his support for her.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)