|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mernissi perform during Chama's play productions?
2. What did the children like to play hide-and-go-seek in?
3. In "Mina, the Rootless," who did Mernissi say she was having difficulties with during their conversations?
4. Whose room was the forbidden terrace above?
5. What color did Mina like to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mina's physical appearance.
2. What does Mernissi say were the two things a woman had to do to capture a man's love?
3. How did Mina help Mernissi get out of the olive jar when she was stuck?
4. Who was Princess Burdur?
5. Why did Mina feel optimistic about the future for women?
6. Why was Samir thrown out of the women's hamman?
7. How did Mernissi's mother tame her daughter's unruly hair?
8. What did Mina tell Mernissi about the gap between men and women?
9. How did Mina survive being put down a well by her kidnappers as a young child?
10. Why did Mernissi dislike the third chamber of the hamman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of frontiers in Mernissi's life. Where did she encounter them? How did they make her feel?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did the natural world play an essential role in the lives of women in this memoir? How did Mernissi respond to living on the farm as opposed to the city house? What did Yasmina tell her about the natural world and women?
Essay Topic 3
What world event did Malika misinform Mernissi and Samir about? How did they react to protect themselves? Did Mernissi's mother approve?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)