|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which young woman was the best at giving love glances?
2. What did the teacher Lalla Tam say about having debts?
3. What ailment does the Moroccan word "hem" refer to?
4. What kind of herb did Mernissi say that Aunt Habiba added to olives?
5. Who was Samir's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the women of the harem attend Sidi Belal's possession dance in secret?
2. Why was Samir thrown out of the women's hamman?
3. What did Mina tell Mernissi about the gap between men and women?
4. Why did the women of the harem believe that they had to look as ugly as possible during their beauty rituals?
5. What did Mernissi like about the nationalist school she was allowed to attend?
6. Describe Mina's physical appearance.
7. What were love glances and how did Chama use them successfully?
8. How did Mina help Mernissi get out of the olive jar when she was stuck?
9. What was Aunt Habiba's rule for the children who attended Sidi Belal's dance?
10. How did Mernissi's mother tame her daughter's unruly hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did the natural world play an essential role in the lives of women in this memoir? How did Mernissi respond to living on the farm as opposed to the city house? What did Yasmina tell her about the natural world and women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of frontiers in Mernissi's life. Where did she encounter them? How did they make her feel?
Essay Topic 3
How did the appearance of American soldiers in Morocco for the first time impact the harem and their illicit activities on the terrace? Why was Mernissi's father against American products, and what did her mother have to say about women using these products?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)