|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of herb did Mernissi say that Aunt Habiba added to olives?
2. What activity was considered illegal that the women sometimes did on the terrace?
3. Who said that skin was political?
4. In "Mina, the Rootless," who did Mernissi say she was having difficulties with during their conversations?
5. Who said that Mernissi's mother was a bad influence on Chama?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mina survive being put down a well by her kidnappers as a young child?
2. Why did the women of the harem believe that they had to look as ugly as possible during their beauty rituals?
3. What does Mernissi say were the two things a woman had to do to capture a man's love?
4. Why did Mernissi become involved with shour, or magic practices?
5. Why did the women of the harem attend Sidi Belal's possession dance in secret?
6. Why did Mernissi dislike the third chamber of the hamman?
7. Why did Mernissi like to hide in olive jars?
8. What were love glances and how did Chama use them successfully?
9. What did Mernissi like about the nationalist school she was allowed to attend?
10. What did the grownups think that children should know about violence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mernissi and Samir's relationship. What did they share when they were young and how did it change when Mernissi turned nine? What caused the rift between them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chama's plays and their importance in the harem. How did they provide entertainment and knowledge? In what ways did the women discover hidden talents because of the plays?
Essay Topic 3
How was Aunt Habiba a mentor for the young Mernissi? What did she teach Mernissi about dreams and imagination? In what way did Mernissi wish to be like her aunt?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)