|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zin mean?
2. What did Grandfather Tazi have built for Tamou after she became one of his wives?
3. In "The French Harem," what does Mernissi say she had to have permission to do?
4. What kind of competitions did Tamou organize?
5. What kind of jewelry did Yasmina wear that Mernissi liked to play with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lalla Radia believe that harems were wonderful?
2. What did Mernissi like about Chama's theory about how the harem first got started?
3. Why did the women of the farm harem decide to wash the dishes in the river?
4. Describe Yasmina's appearance.
5. What was Mernissi's mother's reaction when Mernissi wore her head scarf?
6. What did Chama enjoy doing?
7. How did the women escape from the house by using the terrace route?
8. What worried Samir and Mernissi about Hitler?
9. What part of communal life did Mernissi's mother hate the most?
10. Why did Yasmina and the other co-wives admire Tamou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the quality of life for women in the harems in Fez and on Grandfather Tazi's farm. Who seemed to have more freedom?
Essay Topic 2
How did the appearance of American soldiers in Morocco for the first time impact the harem and their illicit activities on the terrace? Why was Mernissi's father against American products, and what did her mother have to say about women using these products?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mernissi's father tried to balance his belief in traditional values with accepting his wife's yearning for a freer, more independent life. Choose three examples that show his support for her.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)