|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was Mernissi born?
2. Who was Krisha?
3. What program did the women of the harem like to listen to on the radio?
4. In what year did Tamou arrive at Grandfather Tazi's farm?
5. Who told Mernissi that she should never accept inequality because it was not logical?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zin's physical appearance.
2. Why did Mernissi consider the French soldiers to be fearful of the citizens of Medina?
3. How did Grandfather Tazi try and persuade Yasmina to stop calling her duck Thor after his first wife?
4. How does Mernissi describe the Germans?
5. What did Mernissi like about Chama's theory about how the harem first got started?
6. Describe the kind of clothing Mernissi was dressed in as a child.
7. Why did Mernissi admire Asmahan?
8. Describe Aunt Habiba's room.
9. What worried Samir and Mernissi about Hitler?
10. How did the Mernissi harem prepare to go on a picnic in the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Aunt Habiba a mentor for the young Mernissi? What did she teach Mernissi about dreams and imagination? In what way did Mernissi wish to be like her aunt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of frontiers in Mernissi's life. Where did she encounter them? How did they make her feel?
Essay Topic 3
How did the appearance of American soldiers in Morocco for the first time impact the harem and their illicit activities on the terrace? Why was Mernissi's father against American products, and what did her mother have to say about women using these products?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)