|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color uniforms did the French soldiers wear when Mernissi was young?
2. How does Mernissi describe the shape of her face as a young child?
3. What rank did Lalla Thor have on Grandfather Tazi's farm?
4. What did Mernissi's mother like to do in order to eat dinner alone with her family?
5. Why did Mernissi's father make the harem's youth stay with him on his brother's farm during the summer holidays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mernissi consider the French soldiers to be fearful of the citizens of Medina?
2. Why did moonlight picnics make Mernissi's mother happy?
3. Describe Yasmina's appearance.
4. How did the Mernissi harem prepare to go on a picnic in the country?
5. What did Chama enjoy doing?
6. Why did Lalla Radia believe that harems were wonderful?
7. How did the women escape from the house by using the terrace route?
8. Why did Yasmina and the other co-wives admire Tamou?
9. What did Mernissi like about Chama's theory about how the harem first got started?
10. What was life like for Mernissi in the upstairs quarters of her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Mernissi's father tried to balance his belief in traditional values with accepting his wife's yearning for a freer, more independent life. Choose three examples that show his support for her.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mernissi's life changed once institutions for educating girls were approved. What did she like about the nationalist school she transferred to? How did going to this school improve her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of beauty rituals in harem life. What did Aunt Habiba mean when she said "Skin is political"? In what way did the women's beauty rituals scare the men?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)