|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many communal tables were there at Mernissi's house in Fez?
2. What does Zin mean?
3. Who is Fatima Mernissi?
4. What does the anxiety prayer "Ya Latif" mean?
5. What did Yasmina want Mernissa to concentrate on instead of rules and barriers in "The Harem Within"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mernissi admire Asmahan?
2. How did the harem in the city differ from the one at Mernissi's grandfather's farm?
3. What happened when Chama tried to follow her male cousins to the movies?
4. Describe the kind of clothing Mernissi was dressed in as a child.
5. What did Fatima Mernissi do as a child while she waited for her mother to wake up each morning?
6. How does Mernissi describe the Germans?
7. Describe the difference between the men and women's gardens on Grandfather Tazi's farm.
8. Describe Zin's physical appearance.
9. Why does Mernissi call Aunt Habiba the "high priestess of imagination"?
10. What did Chama enjoy doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mernissi fear the French soldiers as a young child? What did she and Samir witness regarding the soldiers that had a negative effect on them? Why does Mernissi say the French were greedy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chama's plays and their importance in the harem. How did they provide entertainment and knowledge? In what ways did the women discover hidden talents because of the plays?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of frontiers in Mernissi's life. Where did she encounter them? How did they make her feel?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)