|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ghassoul?
(a) Clay shampoo and lotion.
(b) Mixture of henna and oil.
(d) Shampoo sold at the market.
2. When Chama listened to feminist programs on Radio Cairo, what did she say about her generation of women?
(a) They were luckier than women in other countries.
(b) They needed to learn more about drama.
(c) The harem was the safest place for them.
(d) They were being sacrificed.
3. Who did Mernissi go to for comfort at the end of the book after she realized that she and Samir would no longer be together as playmates?
(a) Aunt Habiba.
(d) Her mother.
4. What ailment does the Moroccan word "hem" refer to?
(a) Mild depression.
(c) Bad cough.
5. Why did Mernissi smuggle kohl from her mother's vanity table for Samir?
(a) He like using it to draw pictures of cars.
(b) He wanted to give it to his cousin.
(c) So he could draw a mustache on his face.
(d) He wanted to use examine it under a microscope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mernissi say was the cure for hem?
2. Why did Mernissi's father run away from her mother in fear in the final chapter of the book?
3. What was the Egyptian feminist Huda Sha'raoui known for?
4. In "Mina, the Rootless," who did Mernissi say she was having difficulties with during their conversations?
5. What did the children like to play hide-and-go-seek in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mernissi's reaction when she went up to the forbidden terrace?
2. Why was Samir thrown out of the women's hamman?
3. What does Mernissi say were the two things a woman had to do to capture a man's love?
4. How did Mernissi's mother tame her daughter's unruly hair?
5. Why was Mernissi's mother not allowed to go to literacy classes?
6. What did the grownups think that children should know about violence?
7. What did Mernissi like about the nationalist school she was allowed to attend?
8. What did Mina tell Mernissi about the gap between men and women?
9. What was Mernissi's father's attitude about her mother's beauty rituals?
10. What was Aunt Habiba's rule for the children who attended Sidi Belal's dance?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)