|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
2. What ailment does the Moroccan word "hem" refer to?
(b) Bad cough.
(d) Mild depression.
3. What book tells the story of Princess Budar?
(a) A Thousand and One Nights.
(b) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
(c) The Lives of Egyptian Feminists.
(d) Tales of Arabian Knights.
4. What kind of oil does Mernissi's mother put in Mernissi's hair to tame her unruly locks?
5. What reason does Mernissi give for why fresh olives cannot be eaten?
(a) They need to be hardened.
(b) They are too bitter.
(c) They need to ripen.
(d) They are too hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose words are the last to be spoken in the book?
2. What story did Mernissi like to hear Mina tell repeatedly?
3. What did Mernissi say were the two most pleasurable aspects of harem life that she wanted to take with her when she was an adult?
4. Which woman of the harem was occasionally affected by hem?
5. Who landed at Casablanca Airport for the first time in November, 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the women of the harem believe that they had to look as ugly as possible during their beauty rituals?
2. Why was Samir thrown out of the women's hamman?
3. How did Mernissi's mother tame her daughter's unruly hair?
4. Why was Mernissi's mother not allowed to go to literacy classes?
5. How did Mina survive being put down a well by her kidnappers as a young child?
6. What did the big bird design Aunt Habiba was stitching symbolize to her?
7. What did Mernissi like about the nationalist school she was allowed to attend?
8. How did Lalla Mani prepare her face mask made of dates?
9. Describe Mina's physical appearance.
10. Why did Mernissi and Samir's friendship begin to deteriorate as they grew older?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)