|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Mina?
(d) Cousin to Mernissi.
2. Why did Mernissi smuggle kohl from her mother's vanity table for Samir?
(a) He like using it to draw pictures of cars.
(b) He wanted to use examine it under a microscope.
(c) So he could draw a mustache on his face.
(d) He wanted to give it to his cousin.
3. Why did Mina like to go to the forbidden terrace?
4. Why did the children get treated with indulgence by the women of the harem?
(a) Because they knew that the children could tell the men what they were doing.
(b) Treating children well meant they would be rewarded by Allah.
(c) They were so well behaved.
(d) They thought children should never be punished.
5. Who did Mernissi go to for comfort at the end of the book after she realized that she and Samir would no longer be together as playmates?
(b) Aunt Habiba.
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Mernissi that if she wanted to be happy, she should get up early in the morning?
2. What kind of herb did Mernissi say that Aunt Habiba added to olives?
3. What did Mernissi want her father to have made for her when she sang nationalist songs for her grandmother?
4. What smell did Mernissi's father hate when his wife did her beauty treatments?
5. What place did Mina come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the women of the harem believe that they had to look as ugly as possible during their beauty rituals?
2. Why did Mina feel optimistic about the future for women?
3. Why was Mernissi's mother not allowed to go to literacy classes?
4. Why was Samir thrown out of the women's hamman?
5. What was Aunt Habiba's rule for the children who attended Sidi Belal's dance?
6. What does Mernissi say were the two things a woman had to do to capture a man's love?
7. How did Mina survive being put down a well by her kidnappers as a young child?
8. Why did Mernissi and Samir's friendship begin to deteriorate as they grew older?
9. How did Lalla Mani prepare her face mask made of dates?
10. What did the big bird design Aunt Habiba was stitching symbolize to her?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)