|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mernissi say was the turning point in her relationship with her mother?
(a) When she left the harem for good.
(b) When she was twenty-one.
(c) When she turned eighteen.
(d) When she learned about menstruation.
2. What did Mernissi have to study in order to learn how to weave "terrace magic"?
(b) Love glances from boys across the terrace.
(c) Malika's shoulder movements.
(d) Chama's hand motions.
3. What kind of meeting did Mernissi's father call for when he had to decide about Mernissi's education?
(a) Family council meeting.
(b) Meeting with the principal.
(c) Meeting with religious officials.
(d) Meeting with the school board.
4. What word was embroidered on Chama and Mernissi's mother's black velvet hats?
5. What activity was considered illegal that the women sometimes did on the terrace?
(a) Drinking coffee.
(b) Smoking cigarettes.
(d) Eating chocolates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mernissi borrow charm books from?
2. Who told Mernissi that if she wanted to be happy, she should get up early in the morning?
3. What terrible noise did Mernissi hear when she went to the forbidden terrace?
4. What ailment does the Moroccan word "hem" refer to?
5. What kind of food did Aunt Habiba cure in the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the big bird design Aunt Habiba was stitching symbolize to her?
2. What was Mernissi's father's attitude about her mother's beauty rituals?
3. Why did Mernissi like to hide in olive jars?
4. How did Lalla Mani prepare her face mask made of dates?
5. Why did Mernissi become involved with shour, or magic practices?
6. Why did Chama get discouraged about her audience when she tried to put on plays?
7. What did Mina tell Mernissi about the gap between men and women?
8. Why was Mernissi's mother not allowed to go to literacy classes?
9. Why did Mernissi and Samir's friendship begin to deteriorate as they grew older?
10. Why did Mina feel optimistic about the future for women?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)