|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mernissi say were the two most pleasurable aspects of harem life that she wanted to take with her when she was an adult?
(a) Having relatives live with her.
(b) Having clear frontiers in her life.
(c) Hamman and the terrace.
(d) Eating together.
2. Who was Samir's sister?
3. What kind of meeting did Mernissi's father call for when he had to decide about Mernissi's education?
(a) Family council meeting.
(b) Meeting with the principal.
(c) Meeting with the school board.
(d) Meeting with religious officials.
4. Who landed at Casablanca Airport for the first time in November, 1942?
(a) English botanists.
(b) Irish immigrants.
(c) Americans soldiers.
(d) Swedish missionaries.
5. Who did Mernissi borrow charm books from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What story did Mernissi like to hear Mina tell repeatedly?
2. How did Mernissi say she felt about being transferred to another school?
3. What reason does Mernissi give for why fresh olives cannot be eaten?
4. Who came to the terrace to look at the Bennis girls?
5. Who guarded the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were love glances and how did Chama use them successfully?
2. What did Mernissi's mother do when her husband bought her expensive face products from France?
3. What was Mernissi's reaction when she went up to the forbidden terrace?
4. Why did the women of the harem attend Sidi Belal's possession dance in secret?
5. Why did Chama get discouraged about her audience when she tried to put on plays?
6. What did Mina tell Mernissi about the gap between men and women?
7. Why did Mernissi dislike the third chamber of the hamman?
8. Why did Aunt Habiba visit the forbidden terrace?
9. What did Mernissi like about the way Mina danced?
10. What did the grownups think that children should know about violence?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)