|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mernissi say about the men's political discussions in "The Men's Salon"?
(a) Most of the men were not interested in politics.
(b) They were highly emotionally charged.
(c) They got mad and would sulk after discussions.
(d) They were polite.
2. What did Mernissi's mother like to do in order to eat dinner alone with her family?
(a) Go to a restaurant.
(b) Moonlight picnics on the terrace.
(c) Take weekend trips.
(d) Get take-out.
3. What did Mernissi's mother say she wanted for her daughters when they were older?
(a) Exciting, happy lives.
(b) To know how to play an instrument.
(c) To know how to cook.
(d) To live in a happy harem.
4. What did Mernissi's mother do before going to the movies?
(a) Applied make-up and styled her hair.
(b) Made popcorn.
(c) Had a dinner party.
(d) Bought enough tickets for the whole harem.
5. What kind of prize did the winner of Tamou's competitions receive?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color uniforms did the French soldiers wear when Mernissi was young?
2. What did Mernissi's mother say to Mernissi when she tried to rebel against her?
3. What instrument did Uncle Karim play?
4. How did Mernissi get hurt the first time she tried to escape the harem?
5. Who helped Tamou recover from her war experiences and the loss of her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lalla Radia believe that harems were wonderful?
2. What part of communal life did Mernissi's mother hate the most?
3. What was life like for Mernissi in the upstairs quarters of her home?
4. What worried Samir and Mernissi about Hitler?
5. Describe the kind of clothing Mernissi was dressed in as a child.
6. Why does Mernissi call Aunt Habiba the "high priestess of imagination"?
7. What did Mernissi like about Chama's theory about how the harem first got started?
8. What did the women of the harem do so they could listen to the radio?
9. Describe Zin's physical appearance.
10. Did Yasmina feel close to her co-wives?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)