|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mernissi say she wanted to learn from Aunt Habiba?
(a) How to embroider.
(b) How to buy the best cuts of meat in the market.
(c) How to talk in the night.
(d) How to make dresses.
2. What color uniforms did the French soldiers wear when Mernissi was young?
3. What was the "djellaba" that Mernissi's mother wanted to wear?
(a) Pants that the nationalists' wives wore.
(b) Men's coat that allowed for freedom of walking.
(c) Dress styled on western fashions.
4. Who was Ahmed?
(c) Vistor from foreign land.
(d) Mernissi's brother.
5. Who was Krisha?
(a) Security guard.
(c) Driver of the harem farm women.
(d) Man of authority.
Short Answer Questions
1. What section of the harem did Mernissi's mother and Chama walk in to get to the movies?
2. Who was in charge of finding music on the radio in the women's harem?
3. How often did the women of Tazi's farm go to the public baths?
4. What kind of jewelry did Yasmina wear that Mernissi liked to play with?
5. Who was Leila Mourad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zin's physical appearance.
2. Why did Mernissi consider the French soldiers to be fearful of the citizens of Medina?
3. What did Chama enjoy doing?
4. What was life like for Mernissi in the upstairs quarters of her home?
5. Describe Aunt Habiba's room.
6. What did the women of the harem do so they could listen to the radio?
7. Did Yasmina feel close to her co-wives?
8. Why did Lalla Radia believe that harems were wonderful?
9. What did Mernissi like about Chama's theory about how the harem first got started?
10. How does Mernissi describe the French soldiers who patrolled the streets outside her house?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)