|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owed a large sum of money to Sis Sussi?
2. How high was the forbidden terrace?
(a) Five meters higher than the one below it.
(b) Two meters.
(c) Ten meters.
(d) Six meters.
3. What could Stela Bennis never remember?
(b) Important historical dates.
4. What kind of meeting did Mernissi's father call for when he had to decide about Mernissi's education?
(a) Meeting with the school board.
(b) Meeting with religious officials.
(c) Family council meeting.
(d) Meeting with the principal.
5. What did Mernissi want to influence with her magic spells?
(a) The presents she received.
(b) Her grades and her sex appeal.
(c) Her flowering plants.
(d) The amount of time she had to read.
6. Who had trouble sitting through a dance ritual and was shown to the door?
(d) Aunt Habiba.
7. Who rescued Mernissi when she got stuck in the olive jars she had slid into?
8. What was the tradition that Mernissi's mother followed after her beauty treatments were finished?
(a) She would walk around the courtyard singing.
(b) She would kiss her mother-in-law's hand.
(c) She would spend time with her children.
(d) She would carefully put away all her beauty cosmetics.
9. When Mernissi went home from school to have lunch, what animal did she like to hug in the street?
10. What color dress did Mernissi wear when she sang nationalist songs for her grandmother?
11. Who was Mina?
(b) Cousin to Mernissi.
12. Who landed at Casablanca Airport for the first time in November, 1942?
(a) Irish immigrants.
(b) Americans soldiers.
(c) English botanists.
(d) Swedish missionaries.
13. What did Mina think of terrace magic?
(a) She was against it.
(b) She went along with the crowd.
(c) She sometimes chanted incantations on the terrace.
(d) She lead the incantations.
14. How many times did Mina dance during the year?
(a) Twice a month.
(b) Whenever she felt like it.
(c) Every week.
15. Who guarded the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
(a) Uncle Mernissi.
(d) Aunt Habiba.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Habiba tell Samir and Mernissi was the greatest gift that Allah had given them?
2. What kind of classes did Mernissi's mother want to take at the neighborhood school?
3. What did Mernissi's father organize a crusade against in "American Cigarettes"?
4. Who did Chama receive a love letter from that Samir and Mernissi delivered to her?
5. Who was Samir's sister?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)