|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who guarded the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
(b) Aunt Habiba.
(c) Uncle Mernissi.
2. Who did Mernissi go to for comfort at the end of the book after she realized that she and Samir would no longer be together as playmates?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Aunt Habiba.
3. What does the Moroccan word "tanaqod" mean?
4. Who was Sis Sussi?
(a) Food vendor.
(d) Rich uncle.
5. Which woman of the harem was occasionally affected by hem?
(a) Mernissi's mother.
(c) Mernissi's grandmother.
6. Why did the children get treated with indulgence by the women of the harem?
(a) Treating children well meant they would be rewarded by Allah.
(b) They thought children should never be punished.
(c) Because they knew that the children could tell the men what they were doing.
(d) They were so well behaved.
7. What did Mernissi say were the two most pleasurable aspects of harem life that she wanted to take with her when she was an adult?
(a) Having clear frontiers in her life.
(b) Eating together.
(c) Hamman and the terrace.
(d) Having relatives live with her.
8. Who was Samir's sister?
9. What color did Mina like to wear?
10. What kind of oil does Mernissi's mother put in Mernissi's hair to tame her unruly locks?
11. What did Mernissi say was the cure for hem?
(a) Beauty and quiet.
(d) Taking medicine.
12. Who rescued Mernissi when she got stuck in the olive jars she had slid into?
13. What kind of classes did Mernissi's mother want to take at the neighborhood school?
14. Who did Mernissi borrow charm books from?
15. Who told Mernissi that if she wanted to be happy, she should get up early in the morning?
(b) Grandfather Tazi.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does the Moroccan word "hem" refer to?
2. When Chama listened to feminist programs on Radio Cairo, what did she say about her generation of women?
3. Who came to the terrace to look at the Bennis girls?
4. How did Mernissi say she felt about being transferred to another school?
5. What planet had to appear in the sky on a Friday evening in order to cast a love spell?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)