|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Mernissi that if she wanted to be happy, she should get up early in the morning?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Grandfather Tazi.
2. What terrible noise did Mernissi hear when she went to the forbidden terrace?
(a) Car crash.
(d) Blood rushing through her veins.
3. Who did Mernissi go to for comfort at the end of the book after she realized that she and Samir would no longer be together as playmates?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Aunt Habiba.
4. What book tells the story of Princess Budar?
(a) Tales of Arabian Knights.
(b) A Thousand and One Nights.
(c) The Lives of Egyptian Feminists.
(d) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
5. What did the teacher Lalla Tam say about having debts?
(a) A good Muslim always paid her debts.
(b) Debts were a nuisance.
(c) Let others repay your debts.
(d) Debts could be left to themselves.
6. Who was Sis Sussi?
(c) Food vendor.
(d) Rich uncle.
7. What kind of bird did Chama and Mernissi's mother embroider on Chama's red silk qamis?
(b) Blue bird.
8. Who guarded the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
(a) Uncle Mernissi.
(c) Aunt Habiba.
9. What was the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
10. What kind of food did Aunt Habiba cure in the sun?
11. What kind of classes did Mernissi's mother want to take at the neighborhood school?
12. What was the tradition that Mernissi's mother followed after her beauty treatments were finished?
(a) She would walk around the courtyard singing.
(b) She would carefully put away all her beauty cosmetics.
(c) She would kiss her mother-in-law's hand.
(d) She would spend time with her children.
13. Who owed a large sum of money to Sis Sussi?
14. What story did Mernissi like to hear Mina tell repeatedly?
(a) Swimming across a river.
(b) How she got out of a well.
(c) Learning how to sail.
(d) Meeting a King.
15. What was the one thing that Mernissi's mother and Lalla Radia, Samir's mother, agreed upon?
(a) Their hatred of co-wives.
(b) Their belief in harems.
(c) Their friendship with their mother-in-law.
(d) Their love of singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of herb did Mernissi say that Aunt Habiba added to olives?
2. What smell did Mernissi's father hate when his wife did her beauty treatments?
3. What did Mernissi choose over playing games with Samir in "Skin Politics"?
4. What is ghassoul?
5. How many children did Ahmed have?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)