|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mernissi say were the two most pleasurable aspects of harem life that she wanted to take with her when she was an adult?
(a) Having clear frontiers in her life.
(b) Eating together.
(c) Hamman and the terrace.
(d) Having relatives live with her.
2. Who did Mernissi's mother ask to represent her at the meeting about Mernissi's education?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her father.
3. What place did Mina come from?
4. Who guarded the official means of access to the forbidden terrace?
(a) Aunt Habiba.
(b) Uncle Mernissi.
5. Who had trouble sitting through a dance ritual and was shown to the door?
(a) Aunt Habiba.
6. Whose room was the forbidden terrace above?
(b) Aunt Habiba's.
7. What book tells the story of Princess Budar?
(a) Tales of Arabian Knights.
(b) A Thousand and One Nights.
(c) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
(d) The Lives of Egyptian Feminists.
8. What was the one thing that Mernissi's mother and Lalla Radia, Samir's mother, agreed upon?
(a) Their hatred of co-wives.
(b) Their friendship with their mother-in-law.
(c) Their love of singing.
(d) Their belief in harems.
9. Who was Sis Sussi?
(c) Food vendor.
(d) Rich uncle.
10. Who embroidered a big green bird with golden wings?
(b) Aunt Habiba.
11. How high was the forbidden terrace?
(a) Five meters higher than the one below it.
(b) Six meters.
(c) Two meters.
(d) Ten meters.
12. Who was Samir's sister?
13. What did Zin borrow from his father for his costumes for Chama's plays?
(a) Walking stick.
(c) Turbans and capes.
(d) Rope belts.
14. What is ghassoul?
(b) Shampoo sold at the market.
(c) Mixture of henna and oil.
(d) Clay shampoo and lotion.
15. What was the drink Zeri'a made from?
(d) Melon seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Habiba tell Samir and Mernissi was the greatest gift that Allah had given them?
2. Why did Mernissi and her cousins leave money with Ahmed each week?
3. What kind of herb did Mernissi say that Aunt Habiba added to olives?
4. When Mernissi wanted information about how to do the love glance from Malika, what did Malika want for payment?
5. What was Marrakech also known as?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)