|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Zin?
(a) Family gardner.
(b) Family cook.
(c) Messina's cousin.
2. What did Mernissi's mother say she wanted for her daughters when they were older?
(a) To live in a happy harem.
(b) To know how to cook.
(c) Exciting, happy lives.
(d) To know how to play an instrument.
3. What section of the harem did Mernissi's mother and Chama walk in to get to the movies?
(b) Elderly section.
(d) With the children.
4. Where did Asmahan have a beauty spot on her face?
(b) Just below her right eye.
(c) Left side of her chin.
5. What floor of Mernissi's family's house did Aunt Habiba live on?
6. Who told Mernissi that she should never accept inequality because it was not logical?
(a) Grandfather Tazi.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
7. What did Mernissi's mother do before going to the movies?
(a) Made popcorn.
(b) Had a dinner party.
(c) Bought enough tickets for the whole harem.
(d) Applied make-up and styled her hair.
8. What piece of attire did Yaya change according to her moods?
9. Who was Scheherazade?
10. What did Mernissi admire about Zin?
(a) His happy expression.
(b) His funny jokes.
(c) His silly poetry.
(d) His handsomeness and elegance.
11. What kind of jewelry did Yasmina wear that Mernissi liked to play with?
(a) Diamond bracelet.
(b) Sapphire necklace.
(c) Strands of pink pearls.
(d) Opal ring.
12. How many rows did the harem reserve for themselves at the movies?
13. What did Mernissi and her cousin sleep on when they stayed overnight with Aunt Habiba?
(a) Bridal carpet.
(b) Fold-out couch.
(d) King-sized bed.
14. In "The French Harem," what does Mernissi say she had to have permission to do?
(a) Tell stories.
(b) Visit Habiba.
(c) Go through the front gate.
(d) Be quiet and choose her words carefully.
15. What was Mernissi's father's favorite drink?
(a) Chocolate milk.
(b) Milk shake with almonds and orange flower essence.
(d) Coconut milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foreign language could Tamou speak fluently?
2. What was Yaya's favorite color?
3. Who was Krisha?
4. What were the streets of Medina like when Mernissi was growing up?
5. What instrument did Uncle Karim play?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)