|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was in charge of finding music on the radio in the women's harem?
(b) Fatima's mother.
(c) Aunt Habiba.
2. What year did Mernissi's mother give up covering her face and wearing a veil?
3. How many rows did the harem reserve for themselves at the movies?
4. Where did the women on Tazi's farm do the dishes in the summer?
5. What kind of jewelry did Yasmina wear that Mernissi liked to play with?
(a) Diamond bracelet.
(b) Opal ring.
(c) Sapphire necklace.
(d) Strands of pink pearls.
6. How did Asmahan die?
(a) Car accident.
(b) Airplane accident.
(c) Heart attack.
7. What did Yasmina want Mernissa to concentrate on instead of rules and barriers in "The Harem Within"?
(a) Fun, laughter, and happiness.
(b) Learning about plants.
(c) Studying latin.
(d) Reading and writing.
8. How did Mernissi get hurt the first time she tried to escape the harem?
(a) Scraped her knees.
(b) Sprained her ankle.
(c) Broke her arm.
(d) Cut her hand.
9. What section of the harem did Mernissi's mother and Chama walk in to get to the movies?
(c) Elderly section.
(d) With the children.
10. What was Mernissi's father's favorite drink?
(a) Milk shake with almonds and orange flower essence.
(c) Chocolate milk.
(d) Coconut milk.
11. Who was Leila Mourad?
(c) Egyptian movie star.
(d) Prime minister.
12. Who played the part of the Prince Hassan in the play about Asmahan?
13. What did Mernissi admire about Zin?
(a) His happy expression.
(b) His silly poetry.
(c) His handsomeness and elegance.
(d) His funny jokes.
14. Who was Asmahan?
(b) Lebonese singer.
(c) Fatima's sister.
(d) Arab nationalist.
15. What did Aunt Habiba encourage the women to believe in while she was telling stories?
(a) The importance of tradition.
(b) The power of dreams.
(c) Family rituals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was Mernissi born?
2. What did the women in Mernissi's house value that was dismissed as trivial by the men?
3. Where did Asmahan have a beauty spot on her face?
4. How does Mernissi describe "Hanan"?
5. Who was Krisha?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)