|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mernissi and her family go to have a picnic in the springtime that was ten kilometers away from their home?
(c) Uncle's farm.
(d) Grandfather's farm.
2. What did Mernissi come to associate wearing caftans with during her childhood?
(a) Religious festivals.
(b) Dressing up for birthday parties.
(c) Wearing to picnics.
(d) Everyday wear.
3. What did the women's gardens consist of on Grandfather Tazi's farm?
(a) Strange trees, bizarre plants, and animals of all kinds.
(b) Well-kept trees and shrubs.
(c) Lots of flowers.
(d) Neat vegtable gardens.
4. What did Mernissi say she wanted to learn from Aunt Habiba?
(a) How to make dresses.
(b) How to embroider.
(c) How to talk in the night.
(d) How to buy the best cuts of meat in the market.
5. What instrument did Uncle Karim play?
6. What day did Mernissi and her cousin visit Aunt Habiba?
7. What did Mernissi have to do every night as a child at sundown when the lights were turned on?
(a) Kiss the grownups hands and say good evening.
(b) Make sure the lights were on in the stairwells.
(c) Light candles.
(d) Serve tea.
8. What game did Yasmina create to help Mernissi fall asleep in "The French Harem"?
(a) Counting sheep.
(b) Making up adventure stories.
(c) Counting stars.
(d) The walk in the open fields.
9. What year did Mernissi's mother give up covering her face and wearing a veil?
10. How does Mernissi describe "Hanan"?
(a) Educational program.
(b) Moroccan emotional quality.
(c) Political uprising.
(d) Spicy food.
11. What language did Zin master?
12. What did Yasmina want Mernissa to concentrate on instead of rules and barriers in "The Harem Within"?
(a) Reading and writing.
(b) Fun, laughter, and happiness.
(c) Learning about plants.
(d) Studying latin.
13. What was the "djellaba" that Mernissi's mother wanted to wear?
(b) Pants that the nationalists' wives wore.
(c) Men's coat that allowed for freedom of walking.
(d) Dress styled on western fashions.
14. What kind of transportation did Mernissi's father and uncle use when she was a young child?
15. In "The French Harem," what does Mernissi say she had to have permission to do?
(a) Go through the front gate.
(b) Tell stories.
(c) Visit Habiba.
(d) Be quiet and choose her words carefully.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rank did Lalla Thor have on Grandfather Tazi's farm?
2. What did Mernissi's mother pack for the picnic that her father said to forget about bringing?
3. What does the Morrocan word "Allemane" mean?
4. What kind of clothing did Mernissi wear when she was young?
5. How many rows did the harem reserve for themselves at the movies?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)