|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mernissi say she wanted to learn from Aunt Habiba?
(a) How to embroider.
(b) How to buy the best cuts of meat in the market.
(c) How to talk in the night.
(d) How to make dresses.
2. Who was Samir?
(a) Mernissi's uncle.
(d) Mernissi's cousin.
3. What did Mernissi's mother say she wanted for her daughters when they were older?
(a) To live in a happy harem.
(b) Exciting, happy lives.
(c) To know how to cook.
(d) To know how to play an instrument.
4. Who told Mernissi that she should never accept inequality because it was not logical?
(a) Her father.
(c) Grandfather Tazi.
(d) Her mother.
5. In what year did Tamou arrive at Grandfather Tazi's farm?
6. What kind of transportation did Mernissi's father and uncle use when she was a young child?
7. How does Mernissi describe the shape of her face as a young child?
(b) High cheekbones and a pointed chin.
(c) Thin and angular.
(d) Round like a moon.
8. How did Mernissi get hurt the first time she tried to escape the harem?
(a) Broke her arm.
(b) Scraped her knees.
(c) Cut her hand.
(d) Sprained her ankle.
9. Why did Aunt Habiba have to live in Mernissi's father's household?
(a) She and her husband had lost her home during the war.
(b) Her husband was a relative.
(c) She was widowed.
(d) She was divorced.
10. What did Yasmina say was the worst thing for a woman to be cut off from?
(a) Social time with the other wives.
(c) Learning to read.
11. What tree was Yaya happy to receive from the women of the harem?
12. Who was Leila Mourad?
(a) Prime minister.
(b) Egyptian movie star.
13. What was the name of Yasmina's duck?
(c) King Farouk.
14. What did Krisha's wife not like to do?
15. What instrument did Uncle Karim play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Asmahan?
2. Why did Mernissi's father make the harem's youth stay with him on his brother's farm during the summer holidays?
3. What section of the harem did Mernissi's mother and Chama walk in to get to the movies?
4. What did Mernissi's mother say to Mernissi when she tried to rebel against her?
5. At what time did the doorkeeper in Mernissi's childhood home turn off the stair lights at night?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)