|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What foreign language could Tamou speak fluently?
2. Who told Mernissi that she should never accept inequality because it was not logical?
(a) Her father.
(c) Grandfather Tazi.
(d) Her mother.
3. What did Mernissi's mother say to Mernissi when she tried to rebel against her?
(a) No rebelling ever.
(b) She thought her daughter was too dramatic.
(c) She did not take her seriously.
(d) Rebel when you know there is some chance you may win.
4. Who was in charge of finding music on the radio in the women's harem?
(c) Fatima's mother.
(d) Aunt Habiba.
5. What did the women's gardens consist of on Grandfather Tazi's farm?
(a) Neat vegtable gardens.
(b) Lots of flowers.
(c) Well-kept trees and shrubs.
(d) Strange trees, bizarre plants, and animals of all kinds.
6. What instrument did Uncle Karim play?
7. Who was Scheherazade?
8. How did Asmahan die?
(a) Car accident.
(c) Heart attack.
(d) Airplane accident.
9. What did the women in Mernissi's house value that was dismissed as trivial by the men?
10. What did Mernissi have to do every night as a child at sundown when the lights were turned on?
(a) Make sure the lights were on in the stairwells.
(b) Kiss the grownups hands and say good evening.
(c) Light candles.
(d) Serve tea.
11. In "The French Harem," what does Mernissi say she had to have permission to do?
(a) Tell stories.
(b) Be quiet and choose her words carefully.
(c) Go through the front gate.
(d) Visit Habiba.
12. What was unusual about the bracelets Tamou wore the day she arrived at the farm?
(a) They made a beautiful musical sound.
(b) There were so many she could not lift her arm.
(c) They had points sticking out of them.
(d) They were solid gold.
13. What did Yasmina want Mernissa to concentrate on instead of rules and barriers in "The Harem Within"?
(a) Fun, laughter, and happiness.
(b) Studying latin.
(c) Learning about plants.
(d) Reading and writing.
14. What was shape of the house on Grandfather Tazi's farm where the harem lived?
15. Why did Mernissi's father make the harem's youth stay with him on his brother's farm during the summer holidays?
(a) To relax and have fun.
(b) To get together for dances.
(c) To study and read uninterrupted.
(d) So they would not lose interest in the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the "djellaba" that Mernissi's mother wanted to wear?
2. What was the name of the French city described in "The French Harem"?
3. What did Mernissi's grandmother expect the children in the city harem to do when they visited her?
4. Who played the part of the Prince Hassan in the play about Asmahan?
5. What did Mernissi travel in when she went on a picnic ten kilometers from her home?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)