Chapters 1 through 6
• Fatima Mernissi explains that she was born in the Moroccan city of Fez in 1940.
• There were many frontiers in her life; the first of these to play an important role in her life was the doorway separating her family's living quarters from the courtyard shared by the extended family.
• Her very first experience with a frontier was learning that she was not allowed to go out into the courtyard until her mother was awake.
• Mernissi was pleased with this frontier because the rules regarding it were "crystal clear."
• Mernissi's mother insisted that her husband's elder brother and his family have no outwardly noticeable difference in how their salon looks.
• Mernissi feared her grandmother, Mani, because of her strict rules.
• Mernissi and her cousin Samir are close and try to understand the rules governing the women's quarters.
• After listening to the tale "A Thousand and One Nights...
This section contains 3,089 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)