|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the last time Charlotte speaks to Albertine?
(a) When Albertine climbs into a cab to go to the airport to visit France.
(b) Just before Albertine dies in the hospital.
(c) When Albertine leaves for Russia for one last visit.
(d) When Albertine goes to a rehab hospital.
2. With what group of Russians is the narrator's grandmother similar in age?
(a) The babushkas.
(b) The secretaries.
(d) The laundry women.
3. What happens when the scruffy woman notices the young boy looking at her?
(a) She refuses to answer any questions.
(b) She lies down and sobs.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She turns and runs out of the picture.
4. What does Sergei notice being loaded?
(a) A freight train.
(b) An airplane.
(c) A large ocean-going vessel.
(d) A cart and horse.
5. With what are some children concerned about when Charlotte talks to them?
(b) Finding people to adopt them.
(c) Life in the United States.
(d) Supernatural experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator spend much time doing?
2. To what village does Charlotte return?
3. How old is the narrator when he returns to Charlotte's home for the summer?
4. Where does Charlotte store newspaper clippings and photographs from her past?
5. Why are the narrator and his sister thrown out of the line?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what do others continue to speculate?
2. What is the narrator allowed to do when he is 14?
3. How does missing a train save Charlotte and her children's lives?
4. Where does the narrator go for the summer and what is a tale she relates to the narrator on his first night there?
5. How does Albertine surprise Charlotte one day and what is left behind?
6. Where does Albertine retreat?
7. What happens after the death of Norbert?
8. What political importance is lost to the children?
9. What does Charlotte do during the war and how does she react to her work?
10. What does the narrator say his grandmother does when the narrator looks at the photo of the scruffy woman?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)