|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charlotte receive table scraps?
(a) Sweeping the school's hallways.
(b) Begging on the street corner.
(c) Drawing portraits.
(d) Teaching French.
2. Where does Albertine believe she will ultimately end up?
(b) The Gulag.
(d) The United States.
3. Who is described as an absolute monarch?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) Catherine the Great.
(c) Tsar Nicholas II.
(d) King Louis XVIII.
4. Why is the narrator allowed to stay when they discuss Charlotte in the kitchen in Chapter 8?
(a) He is 22.
(b) He is 25.
(c) He is 14.
(d) He is 18.
5. How does the narrator see his country for the first time from an outsider?
(a) In reading a book about Russia written by an American author.
(b) In viewing the French play, "Les Femmes Savantes."
(c) In reading a book about Russia written by an English author.
(d) In viewing the interaction between King Phillip and Tsar Nicholas II.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does the grandmother tell stories to the narrator and his sister?
2. What do the children dare Charlotte to do?
3. How old is the narrator when he returns to Charlotte's home for the summer?
4. How does the narrator describe Charlotte's father?
5. Who does the narrator curse at a dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does missing a train save Charlotte and her children's lives?
2. What is the other childhood memories of Charlotte's that has left an impact on the narrator?
3. Where does Albertine retreat?
4. What happens when Charlotte meets up with a soldier while she is on her way to Boyarsk?
5. What happens when the narrator and his sister go for oranges?
6. What political importance is lost to the children?
7. How does Sergei find another way for the family to flee and what does Charlotte realize as they do so?
8. How does Albertine surprise Charlotte one day and what is left behind?
9. What happens after the children are put to bed?
10. What does the narrator say about what makes French women alluring in photographs?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)