|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte's father hear from a peasant?
(a) That there were sightings of ghosts wandering the village.
(b) That the potato crop had rotted.
(c) That demonstrators would be shot in the square.
(d) That food was going to be in short supply that winter.
2. What type of collection does the narrator recall unwrapping with his sister?
3. What type of dwellings does Albertine move into with each move?
(a) Larger ones.
(b) Newer ones.
(c) Smaller ones.
(d) Older ones.
4. What stops if a child wanders into the room where the adults are talking?
(a) The adults' conversation about Charlotte.
(b) The adults' conversation about Albertine.
(c) The adults' conversation about WWII.
(d) The adults' conversation about the economy.
5. What do the children dare Charlotte to do?
(a) Steal food from the local grocer.
(b) Write prospective families to convince them to adopt the chilren.
(c) Visit a cemetery at midnight.
(d) Apply to emmigrate to the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gavrilych?
2. From what does Charlotte's husband die?
3. What does Albertine not have in Russia?
4. What does Albertine's family not understand?
5. What does Albertine leave behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say his grandmother does when the narrator looks at the photo of the scruffy woman?
2. What story captures the narrator's imagination concerning Tsar Nicholas II?
3. What is Charlotte's relationship to Gavrilych?
4. Why does the narrator break into his grandmother's Siberian Suitcase?
5. What is the other childhood memories of Charlotte's that has left an impact on the narrator?
6. What is the narrator allowed to do when he is 14?
7. What does Charlotte do during the war and how does she react to her work?
8. How does Albertine surprise Charlotte one day and what is left behind?
9. What is the story does the narrator relate about Charlotte's rock collection?
10. What happens after the children are put to bed?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)