|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator find a photo of three women in black dresses?
(a) The Siberian Suitcase.
(b) In a book in the library.
(c) In the trash outside a neighbor's house.
(d) In the alley behind their house.
2. How does the narrator sometimes use his scarf?
(a) To pull himself onto the roof of the school.
(b) To pull Pashka out of the water.
(c) To summon a taxi.
(d) To hide his birthmark.
3. Why does the narrator wander around France?
(a) For no reason.
(b) To visit several friends.
(c) To decide where he wants to buy a house.
(d) To write a travel book.
4. Where has the narrator just quit a job?
(b) Radio station.
5. Where does the narrator spend days?
(a) In day boot camp.
(b) In the public library.
(c) At the French embassy.
(d) In a training class for teachers.
6. To where does Pashka invite the narrator?
(a) Fishing expeditions.
(b) To a French language seminar.
(c) To see his parrots.
(d) A math contest.
7. Why does the narrator's mother go to the hospital?
(a) To visit her best friend.
(b) To visit a dying aunt.
(c) To apply for a job.
(d) For tests.
8. Why is the narrator not allowed to travel to the USSR?
(a) He relinquished his Russian citizenship.
(b) He is wanted for treason.
(c) He is allowed to travel to Russia.
(d) He was granted refugee status.
9. Why is the young woman given a few months of respite?
(a) She is ill with Tuberculosis.
(b) She knows the head of the KGB in that area.
(c) She is the mistress of the captain of the police.
(d) She gives birth.
10. What does the narrator consider when he runs out of money?
(b) Writing his grandmother to ask for money.
(c) Joining the French Foreign Legion.
(d) Working for his best friend's father.
11. With whom does the narrator make love?
(a) The prostitute the soldiers had engaged.
(b) No one.
(c) The girl with the russet-colored hair.
(d) The blond-haired girl.
12. Who is Mr. Bond?
(a) The mayor of Saranza.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A private detective.
(d) A professor.
13. What does Pashka take the narrator to observe?
(a) A student at the school making out with an older woman.
(b) A prostitute having sex with soldiers.
(c) A student at the school have sex with a prostitute.
(d) A calf being born.
14. Who is shocked when the young, French boy does as he promises?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) His mother.
(c) The executioner.
(d) His teachers.
15. What does the narrator see that reminds him of Charlotte?
(a) An empty bottle of vodka.
(b) A hat like Charlotte used to wear.
(c) An old lady in a long coat.
(d) A suitcase similar to the Siberian Suitcase.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pashka?
2. What does the narrator think Charlotte would never leave?
3. What does the narrator believe about the soldiers he watches?
4. What does the narrator try to visualize about the three women in the photo?
5. How does Charlotte become pregnant?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)