|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator learn months later from Mr. Bond?
(a) Charlotte is very ill.
(b) Charlotte died in September a year earlier.
(c) Charlotte has moved to Moscow.
(d) Charlotte is under arrest.
2. What does the narrator do that makes him feel comforted?
(a) Drinks a bottle of absinthe.
(b) Eats ten chocolate bars.
(c) Picks up a woman.
(d) Lies down with his head on a velvet prie-dieu.
3. Where does the narrator see Pashka at the dance?
(a) Up in a tree.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) Down by the lake.
(d) In the men's room.
4. What was a problem many publishers have with the narrator's manuscript?
(a) No problems.
(b) It has many errors due to translation problems.
(c) He is a Russian writing in French.
(d) It is hand written.
5. What does the narrator believe about the soldiers he watches?
(a) They join the military seeking redemption.
(b) They were coerced into the military.
(c) They join the military seeking honor.
(d) No outside thoughts can penetrate their minds.
6. What does the narrator succeed in imagining?
(a) Living in France.
(b) Becoming a famous writer.
(c) Joining his sister in Leningrad.
(d) The breasts of a homeless woman he once sees.
7. Why does the narrator lie to Pashka?
(a) To convince Pashka to do something for the narrator.
(b) To placate Pashka.
(c) To appear more knowledgeable.
(d) The narrator does not lie.
8. Who comes home from boarding school?
(a) The narrator's sister.
(b) The narrator's neighbor's daughter.
(c) The narrator's best friend's sister.
(d) No one.
9. What are the tekhnars?
(a) A group of Russian soldiers trained as assassins.
(b) A group of Russian soldiers trained as spies.
(c) Mongolians who have settled in Siberia.
(d) One of the smaller cliques in the narrator's school.
10. Where does the narrator find a photo of three women in black dresses?
(a) In the alley behind their house.
(b) In a book in the library.
(c) In the trash outside a neighbor's house.
(d) The Siberian Suitcase.
11. What sudden urge does the narrator have?
(a) To find out if Charlotte is still alive.
(b) To go to the United States.
(c) To visit his sister.
(d) To write his mother.
12. What causes Pashka to cry?
(a) Being told he is stupid.
(b) Failing to solve an easy math problem in a contest.
(c) Hearing the story about the young French boy.
(d) Cutting his hand.
13. How does the narrator sometimes use his scarf?
(a) To pull himself onto the roof of the school.
(b) To pull Pashka out of the water.
(c) To summon a taxi.
(d) To hide his birthmark.
14. Of what does the narrator feel jealous?
(a) His younger brother's talent.
(b) The ability of the best athlete at his school.
(c) Tank soldiers who stand at attention.
(d) The blonde-haired girl's boyfriend.
15. What does the narrator want of Mr. Bond?
(a) To treat a bad knee.
(b) To give him some more information on Russian history.
(c) To sponsor the narrator to come to Russia.
(d) To learn if Charlotte is still alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not allowed to travel to the USSR?
2. Where does the narrator seek shelter when it begins to rain?
3. What does Charlotte do after the young woman is killed?
4. What does the narrator consider when he runs out of money?
5. Who is Beria?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)