|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator often have with himself?
(a) Long, imaginary conversations with his father.
(b) Long, imaginary conversations with his mother.
(c) Long, imaginary conversations with Charlotte.
(d) Confidence-building sessions.
2. Why does the narrator's mother go to the hospital?
(a) To apply for a job.
(b) To visit her best friend.
(c) For tests.
(d) To visit a dying aunt.
3. What does the narrator learn months later from Mr. Bond?
(a) Charlotte is very ill.
(b) Charlotte died in September a year earlier.
(c) Charlotte has moved to Moscow.
(d) Charlotte is under arrest.
4. What does the narrator want of Mr. Bond?
(a) To learn if Charlotte is still alive.
(b) To give him some more information on Russian history.
(c) To treat a bad knee.
(d) To sponsor the narrator to come to Russia.
5. To what does Charlotte compare people who die?
(a) Animals who are born.
(b) The stars' patterns.
(c) The revolving earth.
(d) Geese who migrate.
6. Who comes home from boarding school?
(a) No one.
(b) The narrator's sister.
(c) The narrator's best friend's sister.
(d) The narrator's neighbor's daughter.
7. Who is Mr. Bond?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A professor.
(c) The mayor of Saranza.
(d) A private detective.
8. What does the narrator do that he has not done before?
(b) Picks up a woman at a bar.
(c) Goes to the opera.
(d) Goes Hang gliding.
9. What is the narrator learning with his class?
(a) Sequencing movements.
(d) First aid.
10. Why does the narrator lie to Pashka?
(a) To convince Pashka to do something for the narrator.
(b) To placate Pashka.
(c) The narrator does not lie.
(d) To appear more knowledgeable.
11. Why does the narrator wander around France?
(a) To visit several friends.
(b) For no reason.
(c) To write a travel book.
(d) To decide where he wants to buy a house.
12. What are the tekhnars?
(a) A group of Russian soldiers trained as assassins.
(b) Mongolians who have settled in Siberia.
(c) A group of Russian soldiers trained as spies.
(d) One of the smaller cliques in the narrator's school.
13. What does the narrator scrounge up enough money to buy?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A new jacket.
(c) A notebook.
(d) A book about Russia.
14. What does Mr. Bond encourage the narrator to do?
(a) Forget going to Russia since it's unstable.
(b) Visit Charlotte.
(c) Go to England to conduct research at Oxford.
(d) Hold off on having surgery.
15. To where does Pashka invite the narrator?
(a) To a French language seminar.
(b) A math contest.
(c) To see his parrots.
(d) Fishing expeditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does the narrator make love?
2. What does the narrator think Charlotte would never leave?
3. What does Paska occasionally do when he is out with the narrator?
4. Why does the narrator refuse to call or contact Charlotte?
5. What does the narrator realize about Charlotte?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)