|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is married to Norbert?
(b) It is not specified.
2. What happens when the scruffy woman notices the young boy looking at her?
(a) She turns and runs out of the picture.
(b) She lies down and sobs.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She refuses to answer any questions.
3. What was the nickname of Nicholas II at the time the narrator is in school?
(a) He does not have a nickname.
(b) Nicholas the Just.
(c) Nicholas the Fool.
(d) Nicholas the Bloody.
4. What does Charlotte see one day after she has been to the market buying spices?
(a) Her son being hit by a car.
(b) Her daughter being hit by a car.
(c) A vision of a pure Russia.
(d) Her husband walking down the street.
5. For what do the narrator and his sister stand in line?
6. Where does Charlotte store newspaper clippings and photographs from her past?
(a) A huge trunk in the attic.
(b) The Siberian Suitcase.
(c) The Mongolian Suitcase.
(d) The armoire.
7. What does the narrator's grandmother press into the narrator's hand when the narrator is in bed?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A tissue.
(c) A newpaper clipping.
(d) The Verdun.
8. Who is Felix Faure?
(a) The French president.
(b) A infamous murderer.
(c) A famous French author.
(d) The French ambassador to Russia.
9. What happens to the last passenger train when Charlotte arrives at the train station?
(a) It inexplicably leaves on time despite bombs falling.
(b) It leaves half of its cars on the track.
(c) It is stopped from leaving the station.
(d) Nothing unusual.
10. What does Albertine suddenly do one day?
(a) Inject herself with too much morphine.
(b) Decides to leave immediately for Russia.
(c) Write for help to her mother.
(d) Decides to leave immediately for France.
11. Why does Charlotte go to Russia during the war?
(a) To help on a Red Cross mission.
(b) To visit Albertine.
(c) To visit her uncle and aunt.
(d) To see if she wants to move back to Russia.
12. What does Charlotte do on the front lines?
(a) Drives an ambulance.
(c) Works as a nurse.
(d) Sews clothing for the soldiers.
13. What happens a few months after Fyodor goes for reintegration?
(a) Charlotte miscarries.
(b) Bombs begin to drop in Russia.
(c) The Russians decide to join the war effort and support England.
(d) Charlotte gives birth.
14. Who is Sergei?
(a) Charlotte's best friend's brother.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) Fyodor's brother.
(d) Charlotte's son.
15. In what context does the narrator imagine the French villages his grandmother describes?
(a) In the context of Russian villages.
(b) In the context of the Napoleonic Wars.
(c) In the context of the French tourists the narrator has met.
(d) In the context of WWI.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charlotte?
2. What is Charlotte's response to the children's request?
3. With what group of Russians is the narrator's grandmother similar in age?
4. What characteristic about women does the narrator recall in his own life?
5. With what does Charlotte's daughter fall ill?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)