|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Fyodor taken for reintegration?
(a) No where.
(b) The Gulag.
2. Why does Charlotte go to Russia during the war?
(a) To visit her uncle and aunt.
(b) To see if she wants to move back to Russia.
(c) To help on a Red Cross mission.
(d) To visit Albertine.
3. What is the worst image to haunt Charlotte?
(a) The sight of elderly people freezing to death on the side of the road.
(b) The sight of several very young children being shot for stealing.
(c) The sight of several very young German soldiers being tortured.
(d) The sight of men who have lost both arms and legs.
4. Why does Charlotte's father take off in his carriage?
(a) To chase after a very contagious patient.
(b) To rush to his ill grandson's bedside.
(c) To warn the protesting workers.
(d) To get to Moscow and leave Russia.
5. What does Albertine not have in Russia?
(c) A job.
6. Who is Sergei?
(a) Charlotte's best friend's brother.
(b) Charlotte's son.
(c) The town mayor.
(d) Fyodor's brother.
7. Who is described as an absolute monarch?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) King Louis XVIII.
(c) Tsar Nicholas II.
(d) Catherine the Great.
8. In whose arms does Felix Faure die?
(a) No one; he dies alone.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His son's.
(d) His lover's.
9. What does Charlotte's father hear from a peasant?
(a) That food was going to be in short supply that winter.
(b) That the potato crop had rotted.
(c) That demonstrators would be shot in the square.
(d) That there were sightings of ghosts wandering the village.
10. What happens a few months after Fyodor goes for reintegration?
(a) The Russians decide to join the war effort and support England.
(b) Charlotte gives birth.
(c) Charlotte miscarries.
(d) Bombs begin to drop in Russia.
11. Where do Charlotte and her children see a great many mutilated bodies?
(a) Falling out of a bombed passenger train.
(b) Near a crematorium.
(c) Stacked neatly for burial by the side of the road.
(d) They were mannequins; not bodies.
12. Who is Sharlota Norbertovna?
(a) The town spy.
(b) The narrator's grandmother.
(c) The Russian laundress.
(d) The milkmaid.
13. With what does Charlotte's daughter fall ill?
(b) Scarlett fever.
(c) Yellow fever.
14. How does one soldier get his leg full of splinters?
(a) Sliding down a rough board into a trench.
(b) A tree explodes near him.
(c) There is nothing mentioned about a man with splinters.
(d) Being bombed while holding a wooden spoon.
15. Whose visit to France does Charlotte describe to the narrator?
(a) Tsar Nicholas II.
(b) Peter the Great.
(c) President Teddy Roosevelt.
(d) Queen Victoria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of collection does the narrator recall unwrapping with his sister?
2. How many of Charlotte's tales does the narrator write about that have had a strong impact on him?
3. What does Albertine's family not understand?
4. What does Charlotte start believing about her husband?
5. What does Albertine leave behind?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)