|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albertine not have in Russia?
(b) A job.
2. Who likes to lie on Charlotte's living room floor?
(a) The narrator.
(b) No one.
(c) The odd girl next door.
(d) The milkmaid.
3. To what does the narrator admit when discussing his grandmother's descriptions of France?
(a) Not understanding Russian culture.
(b) Not knowing where reality and fantasy intersect.
(c) Not understanding his grandmother's memories.
(d) Not knowing why his grandmother comes to Russia.
4. With what group of Russians is the narrator's grandmother similar in age?
(b) The secretaries.
(c) The babushkas.
(d) The laundry women.
5. How does one soldier get his leg full of splinters?
(a) Being bombed while holding a wooden spoon.
(b) A tree explodes near him.
(c) There is nothing mentioned about a man with splinters.
(d) Sliding down a rough board into a trench.
6. What does the narrator spend much time doing?
(c) Looking through old photo albums.
(d) Playing tennis.
7. What does Albertine's family not understand?
(a) Why she would stay in Russia.
(b) Why she wants to return to France.
(c) Why she is friendly with the narrator's family.
(d) Why she refuses to learn French.
8. What type of collection does the narrator recall unwrapping with his sister?
9. About what does the grandmother tell stories to the narrator and his sister?
(a) The flood of the Danube.
(b) The Spanish revolution.
(c) The Russian revolution.
(d) The Paris flood.
10. What two worlds does the narrator become obsessed with as far as their having a meal together?
(a) The upper and lower classes in Russia.
(b) The upper and lower classes in France.
(c) France and Russia.
(d) The world of the Russian peasant and Russian nobility.
11. Who does Charlotte once visit in a Russian village?
(a) A Russian seer.
(b) A shrine where miracles often happen.
(c) The young people.
(d) Her great-grandfather.
12. What does Charlotte do on the front lines?
(a) Sews clothing for the soldiers.
(b) Works as a nurse.
(c) Drives an ambulance.
13. How old is the narrator when he returns to Charlotte's home for the summer?
(c) It is not stated.
14. What happens to the last passenger train when Charlotte arrives at the train station?
(a) Nothing unusual.
(b) It leaves half of its cars on the track.
(c) It is stopped from leaving the station.
(d) It inexplicably leaves on time despite bombs falling.
15. Who is Felix Faure?
(a) A infamous murderer.
(b) The French ambassador to Russia.
(c) The French president.
(d) A famous French author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte learn of Fyodor?
2. What is the worst image to haunt Charlotte?
3. What does Charlotte want Albertine to check when Albertine returns to Russia?
4. Why is the narrator allowed to stay when they discuss Charlotte in the kitchen in Chapter 8?
5. Why does one soldier mutilate himself?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)