|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems exquisite to the narrator and his sister?
(a) The sound of French singing.
(b) The French foods on the menu Charlotte has saved.
(c) The uniform of the French palace guards.
(d) The sight of hundreds of place settings set up for a state visit.
2. Where is Fyodor taken for reintegration?
(c) The Gulag.
(d) No where.
3. What happens when the scruffy woman notices the young boy looking at her?
(a) She refuses to answer any questions.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She lies down and sobs.
(d) She turns and runs out of the picture.
4. What does Charlotte learn of Fyodor?
(a) He is alive and at their village.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is on the front somewhere.
5. What does Sergei notice being loaded?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A large ocean-going vessel.
(c) A freight train.
(d) A cart and horse.
6. What does Charlotte do on the front lines?
(a) Drives an ambulance.
(b) Sews clothing for the soldiers.
(c) Works as a nurse.
7. What characteristic about women does the narrator recall in his own life?
8. Why is the narrator allowed to stay when they discuss Charlotte in the kitchen in Chapter 8?
(a) He is 14.
(b) He is 22.
(c) He is 18.
(d) He is 25.
9. Why does Albertine become lost to the world?
(a) Because of France's policy towards ex-patriots.
(b) Because of the death of her mother.
(c) Because of Russia's policy towards ex-patriots.
(d) Because of her dependence on morphine.
10. Upon what does Albertine depend?
(a) Her family's largesse.
(b) Government subsidies.
(c) Her son's love.
11. What do the children dare Charlotte to do?
(a) Visit a cemetery at midnight.
(b) Write prospective families to convince them to adopt the chilren.
(c) Steal food from the local grocer.
(d) Apply to emmigrate to the United States.
12. Why does Charlotte go to Russia during the war?
(a) To help on a Red Cross mission.
(b) To visit her uncle and aunt.
(c) To visit Albertine.
(d) To see if she wants to move back to Russia.
13. With what group of Russians is the narrator's grandmother similar in age?
(a) The laundry women.
(b) The secretaries.
(c) The babushkas.
14. Who is Felix Faure?
(a) A famous French author.
(b) The French ambassador to Russia.
(c) A infamous murderer.
(d) The French president.
15. To what village does Charlotte return?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte realize she accidentally did?
2. How old is the narrator when he returns to Charlotte's home for the summer?
3. In whose arms does Felix Faure die?
4. How does one soldier get his leg full of splinters?
5. What happens to the last passenger train when Charlotte arrives at the train station?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)