Chapters 1 & 2
1. What type of women does the narrator say are so alluring?
2. What characteristic about women does the narrator recall in his own life?
3. What woman does the narrator introduce at the opening?
(a) His mother's sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His maternal grandmother.
(d) His paternal grandmother.
4. Who does the narrator visit in Russian as a young boy?
(a) His maiden aunt.
(b) His Russian grandmother.
(c) His French grandmother.
(d) His Russian uncle.
5. What does the narrator spend much time doing?
(a) Playing tennis.
(c) Looking through old photo albums.
6. What is the scruffy woman with the baby wearing in a photo the narrator writes about?
(a) A man's shapka.
(b) An expensive skirt suit.
(c) A peasant dress.
(d) A sari.
7. What happens when the scruffy woman notices the young boy looking at her?
(a) She lies down and sobs.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She turns and runs out of the picture.
(d) She refuses to answer any questions.
This section contains 4,884 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)