|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government realize about the peasants?
2. How are Pearl and Dun married?
3. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
4. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
5. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
2. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
3. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
4. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
5. What war has broken out in the commune?
6. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
7. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
8. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
9. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
10. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)