|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After whom does Joy name her child?
2. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
3. What do the harvesters leave standing?
4. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
5. Where is May to meet the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
2. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
3. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
4. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
5. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
6. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
7. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
8. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
9. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
10. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Dreams of Joy" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Dreams of Joy" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Dreams of Joy" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Dreams of Joy" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)