|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pearl delighted when she returns from work one evening?
2. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
3. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
4. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
5. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
2. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
3. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
4. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
5. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
6. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
7. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
8. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
9. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
10. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Dreams of Joy" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Dreams of Joy" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Dreams of Joy" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Lisa See.
2. What in See's background may have helped him in writing "Dreams of Joy"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)