|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
2. What is beginning to hit the city?
3. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
4. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
5. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
2. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
3. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
4. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
5. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
6. What war has broken out in the commune?
7. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
8. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
9. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
10. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes "Dreams of Joy" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Joy. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Pearl. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Z. G. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
4. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Tao. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Dreams of Joy", questions that See most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the See's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss See's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of See and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Joy takes a ship to China. On board, she attempts to changes some of her American dollars into Chinese Yuan with the help of the captain. The captain pockets more than half of her money before changing over the rest. Joy is shocked, but understands that the ways of China are far different than they are in the States. At 8:00 am. Joy arrives at Chinese passport control. She repeats some of the propaganda mottoes she learned at the Chinese Student Democratic Association, assuring the agent that she's here to help build the People's Republic. The agent allows her to enter the country, but not before he confiscates her American passport. Then he takes Joy to have her bags searched. They remove many "bourgeois" items from Joy's luggage, including her brassieres. The luggage inspector pockets half of Joy's cash and then poses for a picture with her to be hung on the Comrade Wall of returned Chinese.
1. Why do you think the government of a country would allow such blatant misuse of power in stealing from individuals? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think the Chinese government maintains the Comrade Wall of returned Chinese? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss in depth what you think Joy should have been thinking after losing so much of her money and having her passport retained? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)