|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
2. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
3. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
4. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
5. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
2. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
3. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
4. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
5. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
6. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
7. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
8. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
9. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
10. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joy takes a ship to China. On board, she attempts to changes some of her American dollars into Chinese Yuan with the help of the captain. The captain pockets more than half of her money before changing over the rest. Joy is shocked, but understands that the ways of China are far different than they are in the States. At 8:00 am. Joy arrives at Chinese passport control. She repeats some of the propaganda mottoes she learned at the Chinese Student Democratic Association, assuring the agent that she's here to help build the People's Republic. The agent allows her to enter the country, but not before he confiscates her American passport. Then he takes Joy to have her bags searched. They remove many "bourgeois" items from Joy's luggage, including her brassieres. The luggage inspector pockets half of Joy's cash and then poses for a picture with her to be hung on the Comrade Wall of returned Chinese.
1. Why do you think the government of a country would allow such blatant misuse of power in stealing from individuals? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think the Chinese government maintains the Comrade Wall of returned Chinese? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss in depth what you think Joy should have been thinking after losing so much of her money and having her passport retained? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Dreams of Joy", questions that See most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the See's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss See's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of See and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)