|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
2. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
3. Who is fed first when there is food?
4. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
5. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What war has broken out in the commune?
2. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
3. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
4. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
5. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
6. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
7. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
8. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
9. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
10. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Dreams of Joy". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think See chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think See chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss See's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does See use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Dreams of Joy". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)