|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
2. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
3. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
4. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
5. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. What war has broken out in the commune?
4. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
5. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
6. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
7. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
8. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
9. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
10. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Dreams of Joy" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Joy hears that Ping-Li had begged for a divorce from her abusive husband but was continually told to work for the greater good of China by being a better wife. Desperate, she committed suicide by throwing herself in front of the hay cutter. It is interesting to note that the villagers commented on how red her blood was, a sign of a good communist. There were not repercussions for Ping-Li's husband and dissent began to take over the women in the commune who claimed their rights weren't being respected. A few days later, the villagers were banned from speaking about Ping-Li's death.
1. Do you think Ping-Li was abused because she was not a good wife? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the symbolism to the Chinese workers of the red blood and what kind of propaganda could make people discuss a woman who has just killed herself in such a manner. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss the reasons you believe the government banned the people of the commune from talking about Ping-Li. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Dreams of Joy" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Dreams of Joy" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Dreams of Joy" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)