|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is valued over performance?
2. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
3. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
4. How are Pearl and Dun married?
5. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
2. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
3. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
4. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
5. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
6. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
7. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
8. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
9. What war has broken out in the commune?
10. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Dreams of Joy". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)