|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
2. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
3. What does Joy allow Pearl to do?
4. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
5. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
2. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
3. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
4. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
5. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
6. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
7. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
8. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
9. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
10. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Dreams of Joy", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in this book. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)