Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
2. What does Pearl say about Tao?
3. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
4. After whom does Joy name her child?
5. Who is fed first when there is food?
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Dreams of Joy" is? Explain your response.
Joy hears that Ping-Li had begged for a divorce from her abusive husband but was continually told to work for the greater good of China by being a better wife. Desperate, she committed suicide by throwing herself in front of the hay cutter. It is interesting to note that the villagers commented on how red her blood was, a sign of a good communist. There were not repercussions for Ping-Li's husband and dissent began to take over the women in the commune who claimed their rights weren't being respected. A few days later, the villagers were banned from speaking about Ping-Li's death.
1. Do you think Ping-Li was abused because she was not a good wife? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the symbolism to the Chinese workers of the red blood and what kind of propaganda could make people discuss a woman who has just killed herself in such a manner. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss the reasons you believe the government banned the people of the commune from talking about Ping-Li. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Dreams of Joy" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)