Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
2. What does Pearl say about Tao?
3. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
4. After whom does Joy name her child?
5. Who is fed first when there is food?
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Joy hears that Ping-Li had begged for a divorce from her abusive husband but was continually told to work for the greater good of China by being a better wife. Desperate, she committed suicide by throwing herself in front of the hay cutter. It is interesting to note that the villagers commented on how red her blood was, a sign of a good communist. There were not repercussions for Ping-Li's husband and dissent began to take over the women in the commune who claimed their rights weren't being respected. A few days later, the villagers were banned from speaking about Ping-Li's death.
1. Do you think Ping-Li was abused because she was not a good wife? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the symbolism to the Chinese workers of the red blood and what kind of propaganda could make people discuss a woman who has just killed herself in such a manner. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss the reasons you believe the government banned the people of the commune from talking about Ping-Li. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Dreams of Joy", questions that See most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the See's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss See's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of See and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 2,732 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)