|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with planting wheat?
2. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
3. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
4. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
5. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
4. What war has broken out in the commune?
5. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
6. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
7. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
8. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
9. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
10. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of "Dreams of Joy", Joy grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. "Dreams of Joy" might be considered a slice of Joy's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that "Dreams of Joy" is a "bildungsroman" of Joy. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Joy as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Joy?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Joy's growth throughout "Dreams of Joy", do you think "Dreams of Joy" could be considered Joy's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Dreams of Joy" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Dreams of Joy". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think See chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think See chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss See's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does See use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 3
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)