|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
2. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
3. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
4. What does Pearl say about Tao?
5. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
2. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
3. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
4. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
5. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
6. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
7. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
8. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
9. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
10. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Dreams of Joy" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Dreams of Joy" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Dreams of Joy", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in this book. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)