|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
2. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
4. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prologue recount?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
4. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
5. How does Joy inadvertently cause problems for the group in their escape plans?
6. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
7. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
8. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
9. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Dreams of Joy" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Dreams of Joy" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Dreams of Joy" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Dreams of Joy", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in this book. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,347 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)