|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
2. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
3. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
4. Where does Z. G. say it is time to go?
5. What assignment is Joy given?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joy's trip to China.
2. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
3. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
4. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
5. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
6. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
7. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
8. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
9. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
10. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Dreams of Joy", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in this book. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Lisa See.
2. What in See's background may have helped him in writing "Dreams of Joy"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)