|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
2. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
3. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
4. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
5. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
2. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
3. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
4. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
5. What does the Prologue recount?
6. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
7. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
8. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
9. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
10. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Dreams of Joy" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Lisa See.
2. What in See's background may have helped him in writing "Dreams of Joy"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 3,441 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)