|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chinese government view romance?
2. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
3. Who is Pearl's husband?
4. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
5. What does Pearl say about Tao?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
2. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
3. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
4. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
5. Describe Joy's trip to China.
6. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
7. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
8. What does the Prologue recount?
9. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
10. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Dreams of Joy", questions that See most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the See's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss See's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of See and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)