|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam die?
2. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
3. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
4. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
5. Why does Joy go to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What organization does Joy join in college and why does she end up in China?
2. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
3. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
4. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
5. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
6. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
7. What does Pearl learn about the whereabouts of Z. G. and Joy?
8. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
9. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
10. Describe Joy's trip to China.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Dreams of Joy" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Dreams of Joy", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in this book. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Lisa See.
2. What in See's background may have helped him in writing "Dreams of Joy"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)