|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
2. What does Tao ask Joy?
3. What has happened to the women in the commune?
4. What job is Pearl given?
5. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What organization does Joy join in college and why does she end up in China?
2. What are some of the lies Joy discovers about her family?
3. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
4. What does the Prologue recount?
5. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
6. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
7. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
8. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
9. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pearl and May. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Z.G. and Dun. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Dreams of Joy" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Dreams of Joy", questions that See most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the See's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss See's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of See and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Dreams of Joy" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Dreams of Joy" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Dreams of Joy" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)