|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
2. In what do the sisters write to each other?
3. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
4. To what is Pearl sentenced?
5. Where does Z. G. say it is time to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joy's trip to China.
2. What is Green Dragon Village?
3. What are some of the lies Joy discovers about her family?
4. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
5. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
6. How does Joy get into China?
7. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
8. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
9. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
10. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Lisa See.
2. What in See's background may have helped him in writing "Dreams of Joy"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)