|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
2. On what wall is Joy's picture to be hung?
3. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
4. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
5. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
2. Describe Joy's trip to China.
3. What is Green Dragon Village?
4. What does Pearl learn about the whereabouts of Z. G. and Joy?
5. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
6. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
7. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
8. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
9. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
10. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Dreams of Joy". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Dreams of Joy", questions that See most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the See's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss See's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of See and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)