Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
2. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
4. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prologue recount?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
4. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
5. How does Joy inadvertently cause problems for the group in their escape plans?
6. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
7. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
8. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
9. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Dreams of Joy" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Dreams of Joy".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Dreams of Joy". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Dreams of Joy". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)