|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chinese government view romance?
2. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
3. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
4. Who is in charge of seeing that Dandelion Number Eight reaches its goals?
5. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
2. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
3. What does Pearl think about concerning Joy's father, Z. G.?
4. What is Green Dragon Village?
5. What does the Prologue recount?
6. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
7. Describe Joy's trip to China.
8. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
9. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
10. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Dreams of Joy" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Dreams of Joy" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)