Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
2. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
4. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prologue recount?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
4. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
5. How does Joy inadvertently cause problems for the group in their escape plans?
6. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
7. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
8. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
9. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Dreams of Joy". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think See chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think See chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss See's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does See use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Dreams of Joy"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Dreams of Joy including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Dreams of Joy" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Dreams of Joy" is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)