|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
2. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
3. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
4. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
5. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
2. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
3. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
4. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
5. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
6. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
7. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
8. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
9. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Dreams of Joy". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Dreams of Joy". Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams of Joy belongs to the fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a non-fiction?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)