|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For ruining so much of it.
(b) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(c) For tiring out quickly.
(d) For not going very fast.
2. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) By the building supervisor.
(b) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
(c) In a government ceremony.
(d) In a Buddhist temple.
3. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) The hospital in the closest city.
(b) The birthing house.
(c) No where.
(d) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
4. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
(b) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
(c) The district overseer is arriving.
(d) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
5. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
(a) An art gallery.
(b) A place where people can gather and have fun.
(c) A support network.
(d) A mural.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is May to meet the group?
2. After whom does Joy name her child?
3. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
4. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
5. What is beginning to hit the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
2. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
3. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
4. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
5. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
6. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
7. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
8. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
9. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
10. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)