|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Slaps the brigade leader.
(b) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
(c) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(d) Slaps Yong.
2. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(b) Cry about Joy.
(c) Make love.
(d) Make plans.
3. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
(a) To take Joy vitamins.
(b) To take Joy maternity clothes.
(c) To try to get Joy to leave the commune.
(d) Because Joy is pregnant.
4. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is going to give a talk.
(b) She has been denounced from the commune.
(c) She is being allowed to retire.
(d) She is being recognized for some achievement.
5. What does Joy allow Pearl to do?
(a) Braid her hair.
(b) Get ready to see Tao.
(c) Sleep late.
(d) Help her bathe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
2. What do the harvesters leave standing?
3. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
4. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
5. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
2. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
3. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
4. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
5. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
6. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
7. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
8. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
9. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
10. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)