|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(a) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
(b) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
(d) Slaps Tao.
2. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He returns to get Pearl.
(b) He is sentenced to death.
(c) He is sentenced to prison.
(d) He escapes to Hong Kong.
3. Where is May to meet the group?
(a) Hong Kong.
4. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
(a) A new crop.
(b) A new irrigation system.
(c) A contest.
(d) A new type of farming.
5. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The birds eat too much of it.
(b) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(c) The mice eat too much of it.
(d) The soil is not right for wheat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
2. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
3. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
4. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
5. What work does Pearl do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
2. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
3. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
4. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
5. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
6. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
7. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
8. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
9. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
10. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)