|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
(a) A divorce.
(b) His blessing on his baby.
2. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She is going to give a talk.
(c) She has been denounced from the commune.
(d) She is being recognized for some achievement.
3. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That there is no money in the package.
(b) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
(c) That there is no baby formula in the package.
(d) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
4. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(b) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(c) Kill a few pigeons.
(d) Kill a few rats and mice.
5. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Double production.
(b) A full day's labor.
(c) Gourmet meals.
(d) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work does Pearl do?
2. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
3. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
4. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
5. What is beginning to hit the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
2. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
3. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
4. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
5. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
6. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
7. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
8. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
9. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
10. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)