|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(b) Her mother is well.
(c) Her mother is in grave danger.
(d) Her mother has not forgotten her.
2. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
(b) That there is no money in the package.
(c) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
(d) That there is no baby formula in the package.
3. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
(a) She's been nauseous.
(b) In great shape.
(c) About the same as always.
(d) Very ill.
4. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(b) Z. G.
(c) Pearl's father.
(d) Auntie Hu.
5. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A red sash.
(d) A white star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
2. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
3. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
4. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
5. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
2. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
3. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
4. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
5. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
6. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
7. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
8. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
9. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
10. What war has broken out in the commune?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)