|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is a good man in a bad situation.
(b) He is sorry for what he did.
(c) He is doing the best he can.
(d) He is an evil man.
2. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(c) She has been denounced from the commune.
(d) She is going to give a talk.
3. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because of her paintings.
(b) Because she wants to go back to America.
(c) Because she loves a female child.
(d) Because she wears dresses.
4. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
(a) For not allowing Tao to take the child and kill her.
(b) For not having a boy.
(c) For wanting to name their child after an American.
(d) For screaming during labor.
5. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The boiled piece of leather.
(b) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(c) The feathers in the package.
(d) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
2. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
3. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
4. What is valued over performance?
5. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
2. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
3. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
4. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
5. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
6. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
7. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
8. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
9. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
10. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)