|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
(b) That there is no baby formula in the package.
(c) That there is no money in the package.
(d) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
2. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(b) She has been denounced from the commune.
(c) She is going to give a talk.
(d) She is being allowed to retire.
3. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They were burned for starting fires.
(b) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(c) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
4. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Make plans.
(c) Make love.
(d) Cry about Joy.
5. What is valued over performance?
(a) Looking busy.
(d) Espirit de corps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
2. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
3. What is the problem with planting wheat?
4. What war has broken out?
5. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
2. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
3. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
4. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
5. What war has broken out in the commune?
6. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
7. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
8. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
9. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
10. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)