|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To shrink them.
(b) To extract the rice paste.
(c) To stretch them.
(d) To kill the mold on them.
2. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Heat waves.
(b) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(c) Food shortages.
3. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Come to look at his child.
(b) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(c) Help Joy recover.
(d) Name the child.
4. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
(a) The four blessings.
(b) The four evils.
(c) The worst karmic debt.
(d) The most fleeting Karma.
5. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) The birthing house.
(b) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
(c) The hospital in the closest city.
(d) No where.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
2. How are Pearl and Dun married?
3. After whom does Joy name her child?
4. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
5. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
2. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
3. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
4. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
5. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
6. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
7. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
8. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
9. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
10. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)