|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is valued over performance?
(a) Espirit de corps.
(c) Looking busy.
2. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(a) Many uncut rice stalks.
(b) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(d) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
3. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is in grave danger.
(b) Her mother is well.
(c) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(d) Her mother has not forgotten her.
4. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
(a) She is doing more than her share of the work.
(b) She is a victim.
(c) She is a parasite.
(d) She is a hero.
5. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
(b) The ones who have been executed for so-called treason.
(c) The ones who get busy and help the peasants with the harvest.
(d) The ones who lie the biggest and best.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
2. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
3. What stage of starvation are the peasants entering?
4. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
5. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
2. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
3. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
4. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
5. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
6. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
7. What war has broken out in the commune?
8. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
9. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
10. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)