|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
(a) Attend an artist's school.
(b) Give a speech about the mural at the commune.
(c) Help Z. G. produce more posters.
(d) Have a showing at the Red Gallery.
2. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
(a) That he is the man she loved when she was a teen before leaving China.
(b) That he is a spy for the United States.
(c) That he has asked Pearl to marry him.
(d) That he is going to America.
3. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(a) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
(b) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
(d) Slaps Tao.
4. What does Joy allow Pearl to do?
(a) Help her bathe.
(b) Sleep late.
(c) Braid her hair.
(d) Get ready to see Tao.
5. What does the government realize about the peasants?
(a) They are for the most part not too bright.
(b) They are close to revolting.
(c) They are more aware than they let on.
(d) They are eating more food than can be sustained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
2. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
3. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
4. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
5. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
2. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
3. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
4. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
5. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
6. What war has broken out in the commune?
7. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
8. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
9. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
10. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)