|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) A cart.
(b) Carrying them one by one.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) Dragging them.
2. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(c) No one.
3. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Stoke the blast furnace.
(b) Grinding wheat.
(c) Cleaning the canning pots.
(d) Cooking for the harvesters.
4. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She has been denounced from the commune.
(b) She is being allowed to retire.
(c) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(d) She is going to give a talk.
5. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
(b) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
(c) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(d) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
2. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
3. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
4. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
5. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
2. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
3. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
4. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
5. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
6. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
7. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
8. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
9. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
10. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)