|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
(a) Give each worker a bonus.
(c) Unbind her feet.
(d) Tell her story.
2. To what does Pearl awaken?
(a) A growl.
(b) A scream.
(c) A headache.
3. What is beginning to hit the city?
(b) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(c) Heat waves.
(d) Food shortages.
4. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She is going to give a talk.
(c) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(d) She has been denounced from the commune.
5. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(b) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
(c) Many uncut rice stalks.
(d) Every tenth row for gleaners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
2. Who is fed first when there is food?
3. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
4. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
5. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
2. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
3. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
4. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
5. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
6. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
7. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
8. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
9. What war has broken out in the commune?
10. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)