|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They were burned for starting fires.
(b) The censors have confisgated them.
(c) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(d) They are lost somewhere along the way.
2. How will Joy and her baby be sneaked out of the commune?
(a) In a barrel.
(b) In a coffin.
(c) In a shroud.
(d) In the trunk of Z. G.'s car.
3. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Auntie Hu.
(b) Pearl's father.
(c) Z. G.
(d) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
4. After whom does Joy name her child?
(a) Z. G.
5. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For ruining so much of it.
(b) For tiring out quickly.
(c) For not going very fast.
(d) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with planting wheat?
2. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
3. To what does Pearl awaken?
4. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
5. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
4. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
5. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
6. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
7. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
8. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
9. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
10. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)