|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(a) Z. G.
(b) Auntie Hu.
2. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
(a) The brigade leader trying to walk to Shanghai.
(b) Several roadblocks.
(d) Many people walking towards Shanghai.
3. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(b) She has been denounced from the commune.
(c) She is going to give a talk.
(d) She is being allowed to retire.
4. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) A wheelbarrow.
(b) A cart.
(c) Carrying them one by one.
(d) Dragging them.
5. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
(a) Tao is not paying any attention to her.
(b) The cold and lack of food.
(c) The cold and classes they have to take.
(d) The commune leader is coming on to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
2. What was Joy too weak to do?
3. What does the mandate involve?
4. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
5. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
2. Why does Pearl work alongside Yong?
3. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
4. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
5. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
6. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
7. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
8. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
9. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
10. What war has broken out in the commune?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)