|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(b) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
(c) Slaps Tao.
(d) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
2. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
(d) The brigade leader.
3. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(b) Her mother is well.
(c) Her mother is in grave danger.
(d) Her mother has not forgotten her.
4. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
(c) At an all-time low.
5. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Joy and Tao.
(b) Z. G. and Joy.
(c) Tao and Yong.
(d) Yong and Su-Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is valued over performance?
2. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
3. After whom does Joy name her child?
4. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
5. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
2. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
3. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
4. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
5. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
6. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
7. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
8. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
9. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
10. What crop is to be planted the following year and why is this a poor decision?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)