|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(b) Make plans.
(c) Cry about Joy.
(d) Make love.
2. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(b) Help Joy recover.
(c) Name the child.
(d) Come to look at his child.
3. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The mice eat too much of it.
(b) The soil is not right for wheat.
(c) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(d) The birds eat too much of it.
4. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
(a) To try to get Joy to leave the commune.
(b) To take Joy maternity clothes.
(c) Because Joy is pregnant.
(d) To take Joy vitamins.
5. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
(a) Appeals to his self interest.
(b) Gives him a money bribe.
(c) Shows him how it will help the commune's output.
(d) Offers to go to bed with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
2. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
3. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
4. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
5. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
2. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
3. About what does everyone worry on the commune and what does Tao's family do to try to fend off the anticipated problem?
4. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
5. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
6. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
7. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
8. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
9. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
10. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)