|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pearl delighted when she returns from work one evening?
(a) To learn a package from Joy has arrived.
(b) To learn that Joy is on her way there.
(c) To find Dun has made her some dinner.
(d) To learn that her travel visa has been approved.
2. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
(a) Either dead or in their homes too weak to work.
(b) Working in the rice paddies.
(c) Gathered at a public criticism.
(d) On the road to a larger commune.
3. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
(b) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
(c) The district overseer is arriving.
(d) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
4. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Z. G. and Joy.
(b) Tao and Yong.
(c) Yong and Su-Lee.
(d) Joy and Tao.
5. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(b) The birds eat too much of it.
(c) The mice eat too much of it.
(d) The soil is not right for wheat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
2. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
3. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
4. What stage of starvation are the peasants entering?
5. Where is May to meet the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joy say in a letter to Pearl, and what is Pearl's reaction?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. Why does Pearl apply for a travel visa?
4. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
5. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
6. What gives Joy hope as she boils her new shoes?
7. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
8. What sort of horrors do Z.G. and Pearl see when they are driving to the village?
9. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
10. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)