|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After whom does Joy name her child?
(a) Z. G.
2. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(b) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(c) Kill a few pigeons.
(d) Kill a few rats and mice.
3. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Pearl's father.
(b) Auntie Hu.
(c) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(d) Z. G.
4. To what does Pearl awaken?
(a) A headache.
(b) A growl.
(c) A scream.
5. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(a) Auntie Hu.
(b) Z. G.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is fed first when there is food?
2. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
3. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
4. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
5. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
2. What is Tao's reaction to his new daughter and what does Joy decide about the child's name?
3. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
4. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
5. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
6. What about the package from Joy confuses Pearl, and who understands the message?
7. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
8. What does Pearl send Joy and what does Joy do with the articles?
9. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
10. How does Z. G. arrange for the group to get out of China?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)