|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) When she is 9.
(b) When she is 28.
(c) When she is 40.
(d) As a teenager.
2. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Renounce her American citizenship.
(b) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
(c) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(d) Register all her information.
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(b) Sneak into China.
(c) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(d) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
4. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Z. G. is dead.
(b) That she has found Joy.
(c) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
(d) That Joy is ready to come home.
5. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
2. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
3. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
4. Who does May think about finding in China?
5. To what is Pearl sentenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
2. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
3. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
4. How does Joy get into China?
5. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
6. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
7. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
8. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
9. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
10. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)