|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
(a) Z. G.
(b) No one.
2. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
(a) Z. G. is being honored in Beijing that month.
(b) Z. G. has met Joy.
(c) Z. G. has been sent to the countryside to redeem himself.
(d) Joy is not with Z. G.
3. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) For wanted posters.
(b) Because he loved both of them.
(c) To practice.
(d) For propaganda posters.
4. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
5. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) Z. G.
(b) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
(c) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(d) The agent in immigration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
2. Where does Joy go to search for her father?
3. How does a woman kill herself one day?
4. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
5. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Green Dragon Village?
2. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
3. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
4. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
5. What does the Prologue recount?
6. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
7. What does Pearl learn about the whereabouts of Z. G. and Joy?
8. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
9. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
10. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)