|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
(a) It is the prequel to "Dreams of Joy".
(b) There is no significance of the book.
(c) It was written by the main character, Sam.
(d) It is a less savory view of the lives of some Chinese girls.
2. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
3. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
(b) To save resources.
(c) To save fire wood.
(d) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
4. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(a) Her grandmother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her parents.
5. Where does Joy go to search for her father?
(a) The Artist Association.
(b) A museum.
(c) His family home.
(d) His second wife's family home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
2. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
3. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
4. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
5. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joy's trip to China.
2. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
3. What does Pearl think about concerning Joy's father, Z. G.?
4. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
5. What organization does Joy join in college and why does she end up in China?
6. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
7. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
8. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
9. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
10. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)