|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) In pawn shops.
(b) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(c) By asking the neighbors for help.
(d) By petitioning the government.
2. Who is chasing Joy from the United States?
(c) No one.
3. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
(a) He thinks she is too good for Tao.
(b) He thinks Joy would get bored with Tao.
(c) He thinks Joy would ruin Tao's life.
(d) He thinks Tao would be a wonderful husband.
4. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
(b) That Joy is ready to come home.
(c) That she has found Joy.
(d) That Z. G. is dead.
5. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) He does not remember.
(b) The Green Dragon Village.
(c) The Artist Association.
(d) The missing person's bureau.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
2. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
3. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
4. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
5. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
2. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
3. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
4. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
5. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
6. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
7. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
8. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
9. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
10. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)