|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(b) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(c) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(d) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
2. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
(b) Imperialistic countries.
3. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
(a) It is the prequel to "Dreams of Joy".
(b) There is no significance of the book.
(c) It is a less savory view of the lives of some Chinese girls.
(d) It was written by the main character, Sam.
4. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her parents.
(d) Her brother.
5. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes frequent letters to each other?
2. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
3. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
4. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
5. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
2. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
3. What does Pearl think about concerning Joy's father, Z. G.?
4. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
5. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
6. How does Joy get into China?
7. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
8. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
9. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
10. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)