|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does May think about finding in China?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Z. G.
(c) Her aunt and uncle.
(d) Her half sister.
2. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To save fire wood.
(b) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
(c) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
(d) To save resources.
3. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To visit her brother.
(b) To teach English.
(c) To find her birth father and true self.
(d) To learn about Chinese history.
4. In what do the sisters write to each other?
5. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(b) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(c) Joy will not leave the commune.
(d) She is in love with a man at the commune.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
2. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
3. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
4. Who writes frequent letters to each other?
5. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
2. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
3. What does Tao do to prove his patriotism and to further his career?
4. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
5. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
6. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
7. How does Z. G. decide to get Joy away from the commune?
8. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
9. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
10. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)