|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what do the sisters write to each other?
2. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
(a) Ping-Li's death.
(b) Having come from America.
(c) Being caught in the woods with Tao.
(d) Saying caring for children is the one thing she would hate.
3. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She does not work hard enough.
(b) She is too slow.
(c) She is too noisy.
(d) She is too imperialistic.
4. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
5. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(b) Z. G.
(c) Her brother-in-law.
(d) Her old nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
2. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
3. Who is Auntie Hu?
4. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
5. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
2. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
3. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
4. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
5. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
6. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
7. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
8. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
9. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
10. Who gives a mediocre performance in acting out Joy's play, and how is she received?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)