|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) When she is 9.
(c) When she is 28.
(d) When she is 40.
2. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
(a) They both have similar talent.
(b) So Z. G. can discourage Joy from being interested in Tao.
(c) So Z. G. can discourage Tao from being interested in Joy.
(d) So they can spend time together away from the prying eyes of the commune.
3. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(b) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(c) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(d) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
4. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) An American cannot do something well.
(b) She is an outsider.
(c) There is no place for pride in China.
(d) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
5. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) Disabled elderly people begging.
(b) Propaganda against the United States.
(c) People celebrating Communism.
(d) Posters of she and May.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
2. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
3. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
4. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
5. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joy get into China?
2. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
3. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
4. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
5. What does the Prologue recount?
6. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
7. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
8. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
9. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
10. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)