|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For not being properly respectful to him.
(b) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(c) For feeling pride in her performance.
(d) For sneaking off with Tao.
2. Who is in charge of seeing that Dandelion Number Eight reaches its goals?
(a) General Tse.
(b) Brigade Leader Lai.
(c) Brigade Leader Suan.
(d) Commune Leader Lese.
3. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Registering her information.
(b) Having no transportation.
(c) Having her passport taken.
(d) Having no money.
4. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
(a) It is the prequel to "Dreams of Joy".
(b) It was written by the main character, Sam.
(c) It is a less savory view of the lives of some Chinese girls.
(d) There is no significance of the book.
5. To where does Pearl walk?
(a) Her old family home.
(b) The train station.
(c) The bus depot.
(d) The large centrally-located park.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
2. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
3. What does Pearl say about Tao?
4. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
5. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
2. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
3. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
4. What does Pearl think about concerning Joy's father, Z. G.?
5. Describe Joy's trip to China.
6. How does Joy inadvertently cause problems for the group in their escape plans?
7. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
8. What contest does the Brigade leader announce and how does the contest contribute to the food shortage?
9. How is Pearl's father able to help the group escape to Hong Kong?
10. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)