|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
2. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To teach English.
(b) To visit her brother.
(c) To find her birth father and true self.
(d) To learn about Chinese history.
3. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
(b) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(c) Drinking poison.
(d) Throwing herself down a well.
4. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He is wise beyond his years.
(c) He is insignificant.
(d) He is a good match for Joy.
5. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no money.
(b) Having no transportation.
(c) Registering her information.
(d) Having her passport taken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
2. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
3. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
4. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
5. Who is Pearl's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl think about concerning Joy's father, Z. G.?
2. What does the Prologue recount?
3. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
4. What is Green Dragon Village?
5. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
6. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
7. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
8. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
9. What happens when Joy calls her boyfriend Joe when she is wandering through Chinatown?
10. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)