|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(a) Her old nanny.
(c) Z. G.
(d) Her brother-in-law.
2. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Drinking poison.
(b) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
(c) Throwing herself down a well.
(d) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(b) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(c) Sneak into China.
(d) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
4. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
(a) The Shanghai she once knew.
(b) Her home in Los Angeles.
(c) Her home in San Francisco.
(d) Her life as a teenager in Green Dragon Village.
5. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She is too imperialistic.
(b) She is too slow.
(c) She is too noisy.
(d) She does not work hard enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
2. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
3. What assignment is Joy given?
4. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
5. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
2. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
3. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
4. Describe Joy's trip to China.
5. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
6. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
7. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
8. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
9. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
10. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)