|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) When she is 9.
(b) When she is 28.
(c) As a teenager.
(d) When she is 40.
2. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
(a) He thinks Joy would ruin Tao's life.
(b) He thinks Joy would get bored with Tao.
(c) He thinks Tao would be a wonderful husband.
(d) He thinks she is too good for Tao.
3. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She's ready to move to China with him.
(b) She is moving to the East Coast.
(c) She has to leave him.
(d) She is leaving for Taiwan.
4. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
(a) Create art in her own fashion.
(b) Live a life of luxury.
(c) Visit abroad.
(d) Write to May regularly.
5. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
(b) Green Dragon Village.
(c) To Hong Kong.
(d) To his mother's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
2. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
3. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
4. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
5. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
2. Describe Joy's trip to China.
3. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
4. What are some of the lies Joy discovers about her family?
5. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
6. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
7. Who gives a mediocre performance in acting out Joy's play, and how is she received?
8. What organization does Joy join in college and why does she end up in China?
9. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
10. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)