|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
(a) So Z. G. can discourage Joy from being interested in Tao.
(b) They both have similar talent.
(c) So Z. G. can discourage Tao from being interested in Joy.
(d) So they can spend time together away from the prying eyes of the commune.
2. What job is Pearl given?
(b) Paper collector.
3. What does Joy do when she finds her father coming out of a meeting?
(a) Decides she does not want to contact him yet.
(b) Follows him home.
(c) Confronts him on the street.
(d) Starts crying on the street.
4. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
(a) Confisgate most of her belongings.
(b) Confisgate her American passport.
(c) Stamp her American passport so she will not be able to leave.
(d) Give her a new identity.
5. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) Disabled elderly people begging.
(b) Propaganda against the United States.
(c) People celebrating Communism.
(d) Posters of she and May.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
2. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
3. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
4. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
5. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joy react to the spectacle the Brigade leader makes of Yong, and how does she display courage?
2. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
3. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
4. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
5. How does Joy get into China?
6. Who gives a mediocre performance in acting out Joy's play, and how is she received?
7. What does Dun confess to Pearl, and what is her reaction?
8. How is Pearl's father able to help the group escape to Hong Kong?
9. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
10. Where do Pearl and the others fly and what do they plan?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)