|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) To spite her father.
(b) Because she loves him deeply.
(c) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(d) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
2. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
(a) He thinks Joy would ruin Tao's life.
(b) He thinks Joy would get bored with Tao.
(c) He thinks Tao would be a wonderful husband.
(d) He thinks she is too good for Tao.
3. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Disguises it as decorative art.
(b) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
(c) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(d) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
4. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
5. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Sam and Joy.
(b) Joy and Pearl.
(c) Joy and Joe.
(d) Pearl and an unknown character.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do the sisters write to each other?
2. What does Tao ask Joy?
3. Who is Pearl's husband?
4. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
5. To where does Pearl walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
2. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
3. With who does Pearl regularly correspond and how does she help Pearl?
4. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
5. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
6. What is Green Dragon Village?
7. What are some of the lies Joy discovers about her family?
8. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
9. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
10. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)