|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tao ask Joy?
(a) If he can return with her to the United States.
(b) If she will stay with him in the Green Dragon village which what he loves.
(c) If she will marry him.
(d) If she has a young man in the United States.
2. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no transportation.
(b) Having her passport taken.
(c) Registering her information.
(d) Having no money.
3. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
(b) She is afraid to leave it.
(c) She loves Tao.
(d) She loves farming.
4. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
(a) A friendship with someone she knew as a young child.
(b) Illegal contacts.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A deposit box with her American passport.
5. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
2. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
3. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
4. Where do Joy and her father go?
5. Why does Joy go to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prologue recount?
2. What does Pearl think about concerning Joy's father, Z. G.?
3. What does Pearl learn about the whereabouts of Z. G. and Joy?
4. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
5. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
6. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
7. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
8. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
9. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
10. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)