|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
(a) Live a life of luxury.
(b) Visit abroad.
(c) Create art in her own fashion.
(d) Write to May regularly.
2. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no money.
(b) Having her passport taken.
(c) Registering her information.
(d) Having no transportation.
3. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
4. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
(a) Having come from America.
(b) Ping-Li's death.
(c) Being caught in the woods with Tao.
(d) Saying caring for children is the one thing she would hate.
5. To what is Pearl sentenced?
(a) Six days in a community work house.
(b) Six days hard labor.
(c) Weekly reports to an agent.
(d) Weekly thought-reform sessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
2. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
3. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
4. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
5. What causes Pearl elation when she enters China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
2. What is Green Dragon Village?
3. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
4. What does Pearl learn about the whereabouts of Z. G. and Joy?
5. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
6. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
7. What does the Prologue recount?
8. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
9. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
10. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)