|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Sam and Joy.
(b) Joy and Pearl.
(c) Pearl and an unknown character.
(d) Joy and Joe.
2. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
(a) A friendship with someone she knew as a young child.
(b) An apartment.
(c) Illegal contacts.
(d) A deposit box with her American passport.
3. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
(a) Saying caring for children is the one thing she would hate.
(b) Being caught in the woods with Tao.
(c) Having come from America.
(d) Ping-Li's death.
4. What are the peasants anxious to do?
(a) Show how read their blood is.
(b) Abandon their marriages.
(c) Marry Tao off to Joy.
(d) Help Z. G. with his latest gallery show.
5. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Throwing herself down a well.
(b) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(c) Drinking poison.
(d) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
2. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
3. What does Joy do when she finds her father coming out of a meeting?
4. What does Tao ask Joy?
5. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What organization does Joy join in college and why does she end up in China?
2. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
3. How is the commune set up for The Great Leap Forward?
4. What does Pearl find when she goes to her childhood home?
5. What does the brigade leader say about Yong, and what does he make Yong do?
6. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
7. What is Green Dragon Village?
8. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
9. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
10. How does Joy get into China?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)