|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Z. G. is dead.
(b) That Joy is ready to come home.
(c) That she has found Joy.
(d) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
2. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no transportation.
(b) Having no money.
(c) Having her passport taken.
(d) Registering her information.
3. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Finding her real father.
(b) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(c) Finding any of her half sisters.
(d) Going to college on the East Coast.
4. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(b) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
(c) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
(d) Had several of her own children.
5. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
2. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
3. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
4. Who is Pearl's husband?
5. To what is Pearl sentenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Z. G. and Joy begin doing immediately at the commune, and why is the work so grueling?
2. Describe Joy's trip to China.
3. What does Pearl learn about the whereabouts of Z. G. and Joy?
4. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
5. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
6. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
7. Where are Joy and Z. G. going after leaving the Green Dragon Village and what does Z. G. say Joy will have the opportunity to do?
8. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
9. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
10. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)