|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Sneak into China.
(b) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(c) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(d) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
2. Who is Z. G.?
(a) Joy's father.
(b) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(c) A Chinese official high up in the party.
(d) A farmer.
3. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(a) Her brother.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
(b) Imperialistic countries.
5. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She is moving to the East Coast.
(b) She's ready to move to China with him.
(c) She is leaving for Taiwan.
(d) She has to leave him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
2. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
3. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
4. What does Tao ask Joy?
5. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joy's trip to China.
2. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
3. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
4. How does Joy feel about returning to the Green Dragon Village, and what has happened to the village?
5. What do Dun and Pearl race to do and what does Pearl decide?
6. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
7. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
8. What are indications that the famine caused by The Great Leap Forward is progressing horribly?
9. What organization does Joy join in college and why does she end up in China?
10. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)