|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(b) They think she is too bourgeois.
(c) They think she speaks with an English accent.
(d) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
2. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(b) Sneak into China.
(c) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(d) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
4. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
(a) To keep them from walking around sharp rocks in the field.
(b) To keep the flies out of their eyes.
(c) To keep the sun from giving them cataracts.
(d) To keep them from kicking since they won't kick if they can't see.
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By petitioning the government.
(b) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(c) In pawn shops.
(d) By asking the neighbors for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
2. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
3. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
4. How many siblings does Tao have?
5. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prologue recount?
2. What happens that restores the closeness between Joy and Pearl?
3. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
4. What does Pearl find has arrived one day after returning from work?
5. How does Joy inadvertently cause problems for the group in their escape plans?
6. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
7. What happens when the commune members are called to the canteen?
8. Why does Pearl agree to leave the commune with Z. G.?
9. Why does Tao's mother send Joy to the birthing house and what is the outcome?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)