|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the peasants anxious to do?
(a) Show how read their blood is.
(b) Abandon their marriages.
(c) Marry Tao off to Joy.
(d) Help Z. G. with his latest gallery show.
2. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(b) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(c) Sneak into China.
(d) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
3. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She is too noisy.
(b) She is too imperialistic.
(c) She is too slow.
(d) She does not work hard enough.
4. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
(b) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(c) Because she loves him deeply.
(d) To spite her father.
5. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) The Artist Association.
(b) The Green Dragon Village.
(c) The missing person's bureau.
(d) He does not remember.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joy go to China?
2. Who is Auntie Hu?
3. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
4. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
5. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
2. What does Pearl do every morning for a job and what does she find as she is performing her duties?
3. What assignment is Joy given in the village, and why?
4. What does Joy think about when listening to the propaganda about working hard?
5. Why is Pearl called into a government office and what is she told?
6. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
7. What does Pearl think about how she can get into China and who helps her?
8. What does Pearl think about as she goes after Joy?
9. Why does Z. G. rebuke Joy for sneaking off with Tao?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)