|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By petitioning the government.
(b) In pawn shops.
(c) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(d) By asking the neighbors for help.
2. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(b) Going to college on the East Coast.
(c) Finding any of her half sisters.
(d) Finding her real father.
3. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
(d) Z. G.
4. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Disguises it as decorative art.
(b) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(c) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
(d) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
5. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(b) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(c) Joy will not leave the commune.
(d) She is in love with a man at the commune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
2. What has happened to the women in the commune?
3. Why does Joy go to China?
4. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
5. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pearl visit one morning and how does the older woman seem?
2. What does Pearl finally tell May about Joy and Z. G.?
3. How does Joy get into China?
4. Who is Joy attracted to in the Green Dragon Village and how do the two interact?
5. Of what do Pearl's housemates accuse her, and who seems to be supportive of her?
6. Who gives a mediocre performance in acting out Joy's play, and how is she received?
7. What happens to Joy's stepfather, Sam, and how does Joy feel about it?
8. What information does Pearl learn right after entering China that relieves her mind?
9. What is the Great Leap Forward and what does China hope to accomplish with it?
10. What is Green Dragon Village?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)