|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
(a) She is doing more than her share of the work.
(b) She is a parasite.
(c) She is a victim.
(d) She is a hero.
2. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
(b) The ones who get busy and help the peasants with the harvest.
(c) The ones who lie the biggest and best.
(d) The ones who have been executed for so-called treason.
3. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(b) Slaps Yong.
(c) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
(d) Slaps the brigade leader.
4. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(b) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
(c) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(d) Many uncut rice stalks.
5. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Cooking for the harvesters.
(b) Grinding wheat.
(c) Cleaning the canning pots.
(d) Stoke the blast furnace.
6. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
(a) Offers to go to bed with him.
(b) Shows him how it will help the commune's output.
(c) Gives him a money bribe.
(d) Appeals to his self interest.
7. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
(a) The most fleeting Karma.
(b) The four blessings.
(c) The four evils.
(d) The worst karmic debt.
8. Why is Pearl delighted when she returns from work one evening?
(a) To find Dun has made her some dinner.
(b) To learn a package from Joy has arrived.
(c) To learn that Joy is on her way there.
(d) To learn that her travel visa has been approved.
9. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
(a) About the same as always.
(b) She's been nauseous.
(c) In great shape.
(d) Very ill.
10. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(b) No one.
11. What are Z. G. and Pearl's reaction to what they see on their drive to the commune?
(a) Horror at what they are witnessing.
(b) Indifference since it's almost as bad in the city.
(d) Incredulity at the wasted harvest.
12. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
(b) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
(c) The district overseer is arriving.
(d) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
13. To what does Pearl awaken?
(a) A headache.
(b) A growl.
(d) A scream.
14. What war has broken out?
(a) In Taipai Province.
(b) In Huayang Province.
(c) Against the four evils.
(d) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
15. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The soil is not right for wheat.
(b) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(c) The mice eat too much of it.
(d) The birds eat too much of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mandate involve?
2. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
3. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
4. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
5. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)