|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(a) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
(b) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
(d) Slaps Tao.
2. Where is May to meet the group?
(c) Hong Kong.
3. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
(a) Joy's health will be in danger.
(b) Joy will not get good care.
(c) Joy will not be treated well if she has a girl.
(d) Joy will never leave the commune now.
4. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
(b) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
(c) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(d) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
5. After whom does Joy name her child?
(b) Z. G.
6. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because of her paintings.
(b) Because she loves a female child.
(c) Because she wears dresses.
(d) Because she wants to go back to America.
7. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother has not forgotten her.
(b) Her mother is in grave danger.
(c) Her mother is well.
(d) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
8. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
(a) Shows him how it will help the commune's output.
(b) Appeals to his self interest.
(c) Gives him a money bribe.
(d) Offers to go to bed with him.
9. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(c) She has been denounced from the commune.
(d) She is going to give a talk.
10. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
(a) His blessing on his baby.
(b) A divorce.
11. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(d) She's going to sneak away from the village.
12. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
(a) Gathered at a public criticism.
(b) Working in the rice paddies.
(c) Either dead or in their homes too weak to work.
(d) On the road to a larger commune.
13. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Joy and Tao.
(b) Tao and Yong.
(c) Yong and Su-Lee.
(d) Z. G. and Joy.
14. How will Joy and her baby be sneaked out of the commune?
(a) In the trunk of Z. G.'s car.
(b) In a shroud.
(c) In a coffin.
(d) In a barrel.
15. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) An experienced midwife.
(b) An experienced doctor.
(c) Their female children will be protected.
(d) Extra food rations and cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
2. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
3. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
4. Who is fed first when there is food?
5. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)