|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(b) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
2. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) The way the brigade leader lives.
(b) The government's abuse.
(c) Imminent death.
(d) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
3. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) By the building supervisor.
(b) In a Buddhist temple.
(c) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
(d) In a government ceremony.
4. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He is sentenced to death.
(b) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(c) He is sentenced to prison.
(d) He returns to get Pearl.
5. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
(a) Attend an artist's school.
(b) Give a speech about the mural at the commune.
(c) Help Z. G. produce more posters.
(d) Have a showing at the Red Gallery.
6. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She has been denounced from the commune.
(c) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(d) She is going to give a talk.
7. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Cry about Joy.
(b) Make plans.
(d) Make love.
8. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
(a) The brigade leader trying to walk to Shanghai.
(c) Several roadblocks.
(d) Many people walking towards Shanghai.
9. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
(a) Joy will never leave the commune now.
(b) Joy will not be treated well if she has a girl.
(c) Joy's health will be in danger.
(d) Joy will not get good care.
10. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) An experienced midwife.
(b) Extra food rations and cloth.
(c) Their female children will be protected.
(d) An experienced doctor.
11. What stage of starvation are the peasants entering?
(c) Weight Loss.
(d) Skin diseases.
12. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Help Joy recover.
(b) Come to look at his child.
(c) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(d) Name the child.
13. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
(b) The brigade leader.
14. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Z. G.
(b) Pearl's father.
(c) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(d) Auntie Hu.
15. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
(a) A new type of farming.
(b) A new crop.
(c) A new irrigation system.
(d) A contest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
2. What was Joy too weak to do?
3. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
4. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
5. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)