|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) Imminent death.
(b) The way the brigade leader lives.
(c) The government's abuse.
(d) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
2. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
(c) At an all-time low.
3. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
(a) Gathered at a public criticism.
(b) Working in the rice paddies.
(c) On the road to a larger commune.
(d) Either dead or in their homes too weak to work.
4. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A white star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A red sash.
(d) A red star.
5. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Stoke the blast furnace.
(b) Cleaning the canning pots.
(c) Grinding wheat.
(d) Cooking for the harvesters.
6. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Slaps the brigade leader.
(b) Slaps Yong.
(c) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(d) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
7. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) Their female children will be protected.
(b) Extra food rations and cloth.
(c) An experienced midwife.
(d) An experienced doctor.
8. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not going very fast.
(b) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(c) For tiring out quickly.
(d) For ruining so much of it.
9. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
(a) For wanting to name their child after an American.
(b) For not having a boy.
(c) For screaming during labor.
(d) For not allowing Tao to take the child and kill her.
10. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(a) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
(b) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
(c) Slaps Tao.
11. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Pearl's father.
(b) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(c) Z. G.
(d) Auntie Hu.
12. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Double production.
(b) Gourmet meals.
(c) A full day's labor.
(d) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
13. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because she wears dresses.
(b) Because she wants to go back to America.
(c) Because of her paintings.
(d) Because she loves a female child.
14. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) Dragging them.
(b) Carrying them one by one.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) A cart.
15. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(a) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
2. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
3. Why is Pearl delighted when she returns from work one evening?
4. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
5. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)