|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(b) They were burned for starting fires.
(c) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
2. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Food shortages.
(c) Heat waves.
(d) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
3. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(b) The boiled piece of leather.
(c) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(d) The feathers in the package.
4. Where is May to meet the group?
(a) Hong Kong.
5. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
(b) In a government ceremony.
(c) By the building supervisor.
(d) In a Buddhist temple.
6. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) No where.
(b) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
(c) The hospital in the closest city.
(d) The birthing house.
7. How will Joy and her baby be sneaked out of the commune?
(a) In a barrel.
(b) In a coffin.
(c) In a shroud.
(d) In the trunk of Z. G.'s car.
8. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) Imminent death.
(b) The way the brigade leader lives.
(c) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
(d) The government's abuse.
9. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
(a) Because Joy is pregnant.
(b) To take Joy maternity clothes.
(c) To take Joy vitamins.
(d) To try to get Joy to leave the commune.
10. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Stoke the blast furnace.
(b) Cleaning the canning pots.
(c) Cooking for the harvesters.
(d) Grinding wheat.
11. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Z. G. and Joy.
(b) Joy and Tao.
(c) Yong and Su-Lee.
(d) Tao and Yong.
12. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
(a) The harvest.
(b) The upcoming festival.
(c) The overseer.
(d) The Great Leap Forward.
13. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
(a) Joy will not get good care.
(b) Joy will never leave the commune now.
(c) Joy's health will be in danger.
(d) Joy will not be treated well if she has a girl.
14. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A red sash.
(d) A white star.
15. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The soil is not right for wheat.
(b) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(c) The mice eat too much of it.
(d) The birds eat too much of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
2. After whom does Joy name her child?
3. What was Joy too weak to do?
4. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
5. What stage of starvation are the peasants entering?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)