|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(b) Kill a few pigeons.
(c) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(d) Kill a few rats and mice.
2. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is sorry for what he did.
(b) He is doing the best he can.
(c) He is an evil man.
(d) He is a good man in a bad situation.
3. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
(a) Tell her story.
(b) Give each worker a bonus.
(d) Unbind her feet.
4. After whom does Joy name her child?
(a) Z. G.
5. Who is fed first when there is food?
(a) The most productive.
(b) The youngest.
(c) The elderly.
6. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
(a) A quart.
(b) One-half cup.
(c) Two cups.
(d) One cup.
7. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He is sentenced to death.
(b) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(c) He is sentenced to prison.
(d) He returns to get Pearl.
8. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(b) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She's going to sneak away from the village.
9. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Food shortages.
(c) Heat waves.
(d) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
10. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is going to give a talk.
(b) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(c) She is being allowed to retire.
(d) She has been denounced from the commune.
11. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(b) The boiled piece of leather.
(c) The feathers in the package.
(d) The black circles on several pieces of paper
12. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is well.
(b) Her mother is in grave danger.
(c) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(d) Her mother has not forgotten her.
13. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
(a) His blessing on his baby.
(c) A divorce.
14. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
(a) Appeals to his self interest.
(b) Gives him a money bribe.
(c) Shows him how it will help the commune's output.
(d) Offers to go to bed with him.
15. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Cry about Joy.
(c) Make love.
(d) Make plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
2. What work does Pearl do?
3. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
4. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
5. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)