|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy want to create in the commune center?
(a) A support network.
(b) A place where people can gather and have fun.
(c) A mural.
(d) An art gallery.
2. What does the mandate involve?
(a) Digging miles of trenches for the water.
(b) A crop that has not been grown in China until now.
(c) Using more machinery.
(d) To see which commune can harvest their crops the fastest.
3. After whom does Joy name her child?
(a) Z. G.
4. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
(a) At an all-time low.
5. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To extract the rice paste.
(b) To kill the mold on them.
(c) To stretch them.
(d) To shrink them.
6. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(b) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(c) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not going very fast.
(b) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(c) For tiring out quickly.
(d) For ruining so much of it.
8. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
(b) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(c) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
(d) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
9. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
(a) To try to get Joy to leave the commune.
(b) To take Joy maternity clothes.
(c) Because Joy is pregnant.
(d) To take Joy vitamins.
10. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(b) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(c) The boiled piece of leather.
(d) The feathers in the package.
11. What is valued over performance?
(c) Espirit de corps.
(d) Looking busy.
12. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They were burned for starting fires.
(b) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(c) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
13. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother has not forgotten her.
(b) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(c) Her mother is in grave danger.
(d) Her mother is well.
14. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Gourmet meals.
(b) A full day's labor.
(c) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
(d) Double production.
15. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because she wants to go back to America.
(b) Because she loves a female child.
(c) Because she wears dresses.
(d) Because of her paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
2. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
3. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
4. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
5. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)