|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Ignore the government's war.
(b) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
(c) Deface public seating areas.
(d) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
2. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(b) Z. G.
(c) Auntie Hu.
(d) Pearl's father.
3. Who is fed first when there is food?
(a) The elderly.
(b) The most productive.
(d) The youngest.
4. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Kill a few pigeons.
(b) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(c) Kill a few rats and mice.
(d) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
5. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
(a) The cold and lack of food.
(b) The commune leader is coming on to her.
(c) The cold and classes they have to take.
(d) Tao is not paying any attention to her.
6. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
(a) She is a victim.
(b) She is a parasite.
(c) She is doing more than her share of the work.
(d) She is a hero.
7. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
(b) The brigade leader.
8. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Double production.
(b) Gourmet meals.
(c) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
(d) A full day's labor.
9. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
10. What was Joy too weak to do?
(b) Tell her mother to get the other baby that was still alive.
(c) Hug her mother.
(d) Argue against bringing Tao.
11. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
(a) Either dead or in their homes too weak to work.
(b) Working in the rice paddies.
(c) On the road to a larger commune.
(d) Gathered at a public criticism.
12. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
(a) The ground will get too hard to plow.
(b) The winter will be harder than last year.
(c) The artic winds are supposed to be worse this year.
(d) The snow will be worse than last year.
13. To what does Pearl awaken?
(b) A headache.
(c) A growl.
(d) A scream.
14. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
(a) Attend an artist's school.
(b) Have a showing at the Red Gallery.
(c) Give a speech about the mural at the commune.
(d) Help Z. G. produce more posters.
15. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(c) Auntie Hu.
(d) Z. G.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
2. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
3. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
4. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
5. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)