|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
(a) The brigade leader.
2. What is valued over performance?
(a) Espirit de corps.
(b) Looking busy.
3. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
(b) Slaps Yong.
(c) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(d) Slaps the brigade leader.
4. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
(b) The hospital in the closest city.
(c) No where.
(d) The birthing house.
5. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(b) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(c) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(d) She is pregnant.
6. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
(a) Very ill.
(b) She's been nauseous.
(c) In great shape.
(d) About the same as always.
7. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That there is no money in the package.
(b) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
(c) That there is no baby formula in the package.
(d) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
8. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
(a) The ground will get too hard to plow.
(b) The winter will be harder than last year.
(c) The artic winds are supposed to be worse this year.
(d) The snow will be worse than last year.
9. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
(a) The upcoming festival.
(b) The Great Leap Forward.
(c) The overseer.
(d) The harvest.
10. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) Carrying them one by one.
(b) Dragging them.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) A cart.
11. Why is Pearl delighted when she returns from work one evening?
(a) To find Dun has made her some dinner.
(b) To learn that her travel visa has been approved.
(c) To learn a package from Joy has arrived.
(d) To learn that Joy is on her way there.
12. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Tao and Yong.
(b) Z. G. and Joy.
(c) Yong and Su-Lee.
(d) Joy and Tao.
13. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) Extra food rations and cloth.
(b) An experienced midwife.
(c) Their female children will be protected.
(d) An experienced doctor.
14. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She has been denounced from the commune.
(c) She is going to give a talk.
(d) She is being recognized for some achievement.
15. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
(a) Destroy Pearl's bedroom.
(b) Give Pearl's bedroom to another woman.
(c) Searched her bedroom.
(d) Take everything of any value out of Pearl's bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
2. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
3. To what does Pearl awaken?
4. What does Pearl say about Tao?
5. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)