|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) Carrying them one by one.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) A cart.
(d) Dragging them.
2. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) The government's abuse.
(b) The way the brigade leader lives.
(c) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
(d) Imminent death.
3. What war has broken out?
(a) In Taipai Province.
(b) Against the four evils.
(c) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
(d) In Huayang Province.
4. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(b) Z. G.
(d) Auntie Hu.
5. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(c) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(d) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
6. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(b) For tiring out quickly.
(c) For ruining so much of it.
(d) For not going very fast.
7. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Cry about Joy.
(b) Make plans.
(c) Make love.
8. After whom does Joy name her child?
(c) Z. G.
9. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
(b) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
(c) The district overseer is arriving.
(d) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
10. What is beginning to hit the city?
(b) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(c) Food shortages.
(d) Heat waves.
11. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(a) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
(b) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
(c) Slaps Tao.
12. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
(a) One cup.
(b) A quart.
(c) Two cups.
(d) One-half cup.
13. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
(c) A divorce.
(d) His blessing on his baby.
14. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
(a) A new irrigation system.
(b) A new type of farming.
(c) A contest.
(d) A new crop.
15. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
(a) The brigade leader trying to walk to Shanghai.
(b) Many people walking towards Shanghai.
(c) Several roadblocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is valued over performance?
2. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
3. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
4. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
5. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)