|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the government realize about the peasants?
(a) They are close to revolting.
(b) They are more aware than they let on.
(c) They are eating more food than can be sustained.
(d) They are for the most part not too bright.
2. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Z. G. and Joy.
(b) Yong and Su-Lee.
(c) Tao and Yong.
(d) Joy and Tao.
3. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The soil is not right for wheat.
(b) The birds eat too much of it.
(c) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(d) The mice eat too much of it.
4. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The boiled piece of leather.
(b) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(c) The feathers in the package.
(d) The black circles on several pieces of paper
5. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Gourmet meals.
(b) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
(c) A full day's labor.
(d) Double production.
6. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Kill a few pigeons.
(b) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(c) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(d) Kill a few rats and mice.
7. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red star.
(b) A white star.
(c) A red sash.
(d) A white ribbon.
8. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Z. G.
(b) Auntie Hu.
(c) Pearl's father.
(d) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
9. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
(a) In great shape.
(b) About the same as always.
(c) Very ill.
(d) She's been nauseous.
10. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
(b) Deface public seating areas.
(c) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(d) Ignore the government's war.
11. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For ruining so much of it.
(b) For tiring out quickly.
(c) For not going very fast.
(d) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
12. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
(c) His blessing on his baby.
(d) A divorce.
13. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
(a) Shows him how it will help the commune's output.
(b) Appeals to his self interest.
(c) Offers to go to bed with him.
(d) Gives him a money bribe.
14. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(b) Her mother is well.
(c) Her mother is in grave danger.
(d) Her mother has not forgotten her.
15. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Cry about Joy.
(b) Make plans.
(c) Make love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
2. Who is fed first when there is food?
3. What does the mandate involve?
4. What does Pearl say about Tao?
5. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)