|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is May to meet the group?
(c) Hong Kong.
2. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
(a) The brigade leader trying to walk to Shanghai.
(c) Many people walking towards Shanghai.
(d) Several roadblocks.
3. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The soil is not right for wheat.
(b) The mice eat too much of it.
(c) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(d) The birds eat too much of it.
4. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
(a) The commune leader is coming on to her.
(b) The cold and classes they have to take.
(c) The cold and lack of food.
(d) Tao is not paying any attention to her.
5. What does the mandate involve?
(a) Digging miles of trenches for the water.
(b) Using more machinery.
(c) To see which commune can harvest their crops the fastest.
(d) A crop that has not been grown in China until now.
6. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The feathers in the package.
(b) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(c) The boiled piece of leather.
(d) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
7. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
(b) The ones who get busy and help the peasants with the harvest.
(c) The ones who have been executed for so-called treason.
(d) The ones who lie the biggest and best.
8. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
(a) The worst karmic debt.
(b) The four evils.
(c) The most fleeting Karma.
(d) The four blessings.
9. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(b) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(c) They were burned for starting fires.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
10. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
(b) In a Buddhist temple.
(c) In a government ceremony.
(d) By the building supervisor.
11. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
(a) The upcoming festival.
(b) The overseer.
(c) The Great Leap Forward.
(d) The harvest.
12. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
(a) A quart.
(b) One-half cup.
(c) Two cups.
(d) One cup.
13. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(b) He is sentenced to prison.
(c) He returns to get Pearl.
(d) He is sentenced to death.
14. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
(a) For wanting to name their child after an American.
(b) For screaming during labor.
(c) For not allowing Tao to take the child and kill her.
(d) For not having a boy.
15. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Yong and Su-Lee.
(b) Z. G. and Joy.
(c) Joy and Tao.
(d) Tao and Yong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
2. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
3. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
4. What war has broken out?
5. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)