|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) The censors have confisgated them.
(b) They were burned for starting fires.
(c) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(d) They are lost somewhere along the way.
2. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
(a) Very ill.
(b) In great shape.
(c) About the same as always.
(d) She's been nauseous.
3. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Kill a few rats and mice.
(b) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(c) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(d) Kill a few pigeons.
4. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
(a) She is a parasite.
(b) She is a victim.
(c) She is doing more than her share of the work.
(d) She is a hero.
5. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To shrink them.
(b) To stretch them.
(c) To extract the rice paste.
(d) To kill the mold on them.
6. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
(a) Give a speech about the mural at the commune.
(b) Attend an artist's school.
(c) Have a showing at the Red Gallery.
(d) Help Z. G. produce more posters.
7. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
(a) Yong and Su-Lee.
(b) Z. G. and Joy.
(c) Tao and Yong.
(d) Joy and Tao.
8. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A red sash.
(d) A white star.
9. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(b) For not going very fast.
(c) For tiring out quickly.
(d) For ruining so much of it.
10. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
(b) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(c) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
(d) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
11. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) In a Buddhist temple.
(b) By the building supervisor.
(c) In a government ceremony.
(d) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
12. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(a) Z. G.
(d) Auntie Hu.
13. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(b) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
14. What was Joy too weak to do?
(a) Tell her mother to get the other baby that was still alive.
(c) Hug her mother.
(d) Argue against bringing Tao.
15. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is May to meet the group?
2. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
3. What does Pearl say about Tao?
4. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
5. What war has broken out?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)