|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is fed first when there is food?
(a) The elderly.
(c) The youngest.
(d) The most productive.
2. What stage of starvation are the peasants entering?
(a) Weight Loss.
(d) Skin diseases.
3. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(b) Z. G.
(d) Auntie Hu.
4. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
(b) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(c) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
(d) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
5. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
(a) She is a victim.
(b) She is doing more than her share of the work.
(c) She is a parasite.
(d) She is a hero.
6. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother has not forgotten her.
(b) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(c) Her mother is well.
(d) Her mother is in grave danger.
7. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Cleaning the canning pots.
(b) Stoke the blast furnace.
(c) Grinding wheat.
(d) Cooking for the harvesters.
8. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
(b) The hospital in the closest city.
(c) No where.
(d) The birthing house.
9. What is beginning to hit the city?
(b) Heat waves.
(c) Food shortages.
(d) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
10. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Ignore the government's war.
(b) Deface public seating areas.
(c) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(d) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
11. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(b) They were burned for starting fires.
(c) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
12. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Come to look at his child.
(b) Name the child.
(c) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(d) Help Joy recover.
13. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
(a) A divorce.
(b) His blessing on his baby.
14. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because of her paintings.
(b) Because she loves a female child.
(c) Because she wears dresses.
(d) Because she wants to go back to America.
15. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He is sentenced to death.
(b) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(c) He is sentenced to prison.
(d) He returns to get Pearl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
2. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
3. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
4. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
5. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)