|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(b) Cry about Joy.
(c) Make plans.
(d) Make love.
2. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She is being allowed to retire.
(b) She is going to give a talk.
(c) She has been denounced from the commune.
(d) She is being recognized for some achievement.
3. Where is May to meet the group?
(a) Hong Kong.
4. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(b) The feathers in the package.
(c) The boiled piece of leather.
(d) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
5. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(a) Many uncut rice stalks.
(c) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(d) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
6. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A white star.
(d) A red sash.
7. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) Their female children will be protected.
(b) An experienced midwife.
(c) An experienced doctor.
(d) Extra food rations and cloth.
8. What does the mandate involve?
(a) To see which commune can harvest their crops the fastest.
(b) Digging miles of trenches for the water.
(c) Using more machinery.
(d) A crop that has not been grown in China until now.
9. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
(a) The winter will be harder than last year.
(b) The ground will get too hard to plow.
(c) The artic winds are supposed to be worse this year.
(d) The snow will be worse than last year.
10. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
(c) At an all-time low.
11. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
(a) For not allowing Tao to take the child and kill her.
(b) For wanting to name their child after an American.
(c) For not having a boy.
(d) For screaming during labor.
12. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Deface public seating areas.
(b) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
(c) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(d) Ignore the government's war.
13. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To shrink them.
(b) To kill the mold on them.
(c) To extract the rice paste.
(d) To stretch them.
14. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Cooking for the harvesters.
(b) Cleaning the canning pots.
(c) Grinding wheat.
(d) Stoke the blast furnace.
15. After whom does Joy name her child?
(c) Z. G.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
2. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
3. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
4. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
5. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)