|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the government realize about the peasants?
(a) They are more aware than they let on.
(b) They are eating more food than can be sustained.
(c) They are close to revolting.
(d) They are for the most part not too bright.
2. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
(a) The harvest.
(b) The overseer.
(c) The Great Leap Forward.
(d) The upcoming festival.
3. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
(a) The ground will get too hard to plow.
(b) The winter will be harder than last year.
(c) The artic winds are supposed to be worse this year.
(d) The snow will be worse than last year.
4. What is valued over performance?
(c) Espirit de corps.
(d) Looking busy.
5. What was Joy too weak to do?
(b) Tell her mother to get the other baby that was still alive.
(c) Argue against bringing Tao.
(d) Hug her mother.
6. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
(a) The ones who get busy and help the peasants with the harvest.
(c) The ones who lie the biggest and best.
(d) The ones who have been executed for so-called treason.
7. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
(d) At an all-time low.
8. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) Extra food rations and cloth.
(b) An experienced midwife.
(c) An experienced doctor.
(d) Their female children will be protected.
9. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(b) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(c) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(d) She is pregnant.
10. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For ruining so much of it.
(b) For not going very fast.
(c) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(d) For tiring out quickly.
11. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(a) No one.
12. What does the mandate involve?
(a) Digging miles of trenches for the water.
(b) To see which commune can harvest their crops the fastest.
(c) A crop that has not been grown in China until now.
(d) Using more machinery.
13. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
(a) Many people walking towards Shanghai.
(b) The brigade leader trying to walk to Shanghai.
(d) Several roadblocks.
14. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Slaps Yong.
(b) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(c) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
(d) Slaps the brigade leader.
15. How will Joy and her baby be sneaked out of the commune?
(a) In a coffin.
(b) In a barrel.
(c) In the trunk of Z. G.'s car.
(d) In a shroud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
2. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
3. What does Pearl say about Tao?
4. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
5. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)