|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(a) Many uncut rice stalks.
(c) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
(d) Every tenth row for gleaners.
2. What war has broken out?
(a) In Huayang Province.
(b) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
(c) In Taipai Province.
(d) Against the four evils.
3. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Deface public seating areas.
(b) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(c) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
(d) Ignore the government's war.
4. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
(a) The ones who lie the biggest and best.
(b) The ones who have been executed for so-called treason.
(d) The ones who get busy and help the peasants with the harvest.
5. How has Joy been feeling physically lately?
(a) About the same as always.
(b) She's been nauseous.
(c) Very ill.
(d) In great shape.
6. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) The birthing house.
(b) No where.
(c) The hospital in the closest city.
(d) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
7. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
(b) Give each worker a bonus.
(c) Tell her story.
(d) Unbind her feet.
8. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red sash.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A white star.
(d) A red star.
9. What does the brigade leader say about Yong?
(a) She is a victim.
(b) She is a hero.
(c) She is a parasite.
(d) She is doing more than her share of the work.
10. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
(a) Tao is not paying any attention to her.
(b) The cold and classes they have to take.
(c) The cold and lack of food.
(d) The commune leader is coming on to her.
11. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
(a) That he is going to America.
(b) That he is a spy for the United States.
(c) That he is the man she loved when she was a teen before leaving China.
(d) That he has asked Pearl to marry him.
12. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Double production.
(b) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
(c) A full day's labor.
(d) Gourmet meals.
13. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(b) He is sentenced to death.
(c) He is sentenced to prison.
(d) He returns to get Pearl.
14. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) Carrying them one by one.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) Dragging them.
(d) A cart.
15. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The mice eat too much of it.
(b) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(c) The soil is not right for wheat.
(d) The birds eat too much of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
2. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
3. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
4. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
5. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)