|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(b) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
(c) Many uncut rice stalks.
(d) Every tenth row for gleaners.
2. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(b) For not going very fast.
(c) For ruining so much of it.
(d) For tiring out quickly.
3. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(b) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
(c) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
(d) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
4. How does Joy convince the brigade leader to let her do her project in the commune center?
(a) Offers to go to bed with him.
(b) Shows him how it will help the commune's output.
(c) Appeals to his self interest.
(d) Gives him a money bribe.
5. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(a) No one.
6. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Grinding wheat.
(b) Cooking for the harvesters.
(c) Cleaning the canning pots.
(d) Stoke the blast furnace.
7. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
(a) One-half cup.
(b) One cup.
(c) A quart.
(d) Two cups.
8. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
(d) The brigade leader.
9. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(b) The boiled piece of leather.
(c) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(d) The feathers in the package.
10. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The soil is not right for wheat.
(b) The birds eat too much of it.
(c) The mice eat too much of it.
(d) The high humidity spoils wheat.
11. What are Z. G. and Pearl's reaction to what they see on their drive to the commune?
(a) Horror at what they are witnessing.
(b) Indifference since it's almost as bad in the city.
(d) Incredulity at the wasted harvest.
12. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) Dragging them.
(b) Carrying them one by one.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) A cart.
13. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
(a) That he has asked Pearl to marry him.
(b) That he is the man she loved when she was a teen before leaving China.
(c) That he is going to America.
(d) That he is a spy for the United States.
14. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red star.
(b) A red sash.
(c) A white star.
(d) A white ribbon.
15. What does Joy do when she observes the people's behavior?
(a) Stands on a box and exhorts the crowd to better behavior.
(b) Slaps Tao.
(c) Helps Yong to Yong's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
2. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
3. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
4. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
5. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)