|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(c) Food shortages.
(d) Heat waves.
2. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
(a) The cold and lack of food.
(b) The cold and classes they have to take.
(c) Tao is not paying any attention to her.
(d) The commune leader is coming on to her.
3. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
(b) The government's abuse.
(c) Imminent death.
(d) The way the brigade leader lives.
4. What do Z. G. and the others encounter on the way back to Shanghai?
(a) Many people walking towards Shanghai.
(c) Several roadblocks.
(d) The brigade leader trying to walk to Shanghai.
5. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(c) No one.
6. What does Joy allow Pearl to do?
(a) Help her bathe.
(b) Braid her hair.
(c) Get ready to see Tao.
(d) Sleep late.
7. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
(a) To take Joy vitamins.
(b) To take Joy maternity clothes.
(c) To try to get Joy to leave the commune.
(d) Because Joy is pregnant.
8. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) A cart.
(b) Carrying them one by one.
(c) Dragging them.
(d) A wheelbarrow.
9. What does Auntie Hu tell Pearl?
(a) That the officials asked Auntie Hu about Pearl.
(b) That Auntie Hu is very ill.
(c) That Z. G. can not be trusted.
(d) That Auntie Hu is planning to leave Chine.
10. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
(a) The Great Leap Forward.
(b) The upcoming festival.
(c) The harvest.
(d) The overseer.
11. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
(a) The worst karmic debt.
(b) The four blessings.
(c) The four evils.
(d) The most fleeting Karma.
12. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A red sash.
(b) A white star.
(c) A white ribbon.
(d) A red star.
13. What was Joy too weak to do?
(a) Hug her mother.
(c) Argue against bringing Tao.
(d) Tell her mother to get the other baby that was still alive.
14. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because she wears dresses.
(b) Because she loves a female child.
(c) Because of her paintings.
(d) Because she wants to go back to America.
15. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
2. What does the government realize about the peasants?
3. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
4. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
5. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)