|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not going very fast.
(b) For tiring out quickly.
(c) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(d) For ruining so much of it.
2. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(a) Auntie Hu.
(b) Z. G.
3. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) The district overseer is arriving.
(b) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
(c) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
(d) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
4. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
(a) Tao is not paying any attention to her.
(b) The commune leader is coming on to her.
(c) The cold and classes they have to take.
(d) The cold and lack of food.
5. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
6. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
(a) For wanting to name their child after an American.
(b) For not having a boy.
(c) For screaming during labor.
(d) For not allowing Tao to take the child and kill her.
7. Where is May to meet the group?
(a) Hong Kong.
8. What was Joy too weak to do?
(a) Tell her mother to get the other baby that was still alive.
(c) Hug her mother.
(d) Argue against bringing Tao.
9. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(b) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
10. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
(a) Joy will not be treated well if she has a girl.
(b) Joy will not get good care.
(c) Joy will never leave the commune now.
(d) Joy's health will be in danger.
11. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is in grave danger.
(b) Her mother is well.
(c) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(d) Her mother has not forgotten her.
12. What war has broken out?
(a) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
(b) In Taipai Province.
(c) In Huayang Province.
(d) Against the four evils.
13. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(a) Many uncut rice stalks.
(b) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(d) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
14. After whom does Joy name her child?
(c) Z. G.
15. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Heat waves.
(c) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(d) Food shortages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
2. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
3. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
4. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
5. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)