|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For not going very fast.
(b) For ruining so much of it.
(c) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
(d) For tiring out quickly.
2. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
3. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(b) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(c) Kill a few rats and mice.
(d) Kill a few pigeons.
4. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
(b) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
(c) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
(d) The district overseer is arriving.
5. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(b) Come to look at his child.
(c) Name the child.
(d) Help Joy recover.
6. What does the mandate involve?
(a) Using more machinery.
(b) To see which commune can harvest their crops the fastest.
(c) Digging miles of trenches for the water.
(d) A crop that has not been grown in China until now.
7. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
(a) A quart.
(b) One cup.
(c) One-half cup.
(d) Two cups.
8. To what does Pearl awaken?
(a) A growl.
(b) A scream.
(c) A headache.
9. What stage of starvation are the peasants entering?
(a) Weight Loss.
(b) Skin diseases.
10. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
(a) To take Joy maternity clothes.
(b) To try to get Joy to leave the commune.
(c) To take Joy vitamins.
(d) Because Joy is pregnant.
11. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
(c) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(d) She's going to sneak away from the village.
12. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(c) Heat waves.
(d) Food shortages.
13. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To kill the mold on them.
(b) To extract the rice paste.
(c) To shrink them.
(d) To stretch them.
14. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
(b) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(c) Slaps the brigade leader.
(d) Slaps Yong.
15. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
(a) A new type of farming.
(b) A new crop.
(c) A new irrigation system.
(d) A contest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
2. What will Feng Tao supposedly do in Shanghai?
3. Why is Joy miserable on the commune?
4. How are Pearl and Dun married?
5. Where is May to meet the group?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)