|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joy's relationship with her in-laws proceeding?
(c) At an all-time low.
2. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
(d) The brigade leader.
3. What is Tao disgusted with Joy?
(a) Because she wants to go back to America.
(b) Because of her paintings.
(c) Because she loves a female child.
(d) Because she wears dresses.
4. How does Z. G. get Joy, Tao and Samantha to his car?
(a) Carrying them one by one.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) Dragging them.
(d) A cart.
5. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
(b) The hospital in the closest city.
(c) The birthing house.
(d) No where.
6. What does Kumei admit to Joy?
(a) She's going to sneak away from the village.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is getting married to Tao's older brother.
(d) She's been sleeping with the brigade leader.
7. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Help Joy recover.
(b) Name the child.
(c) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(d) Come to look at his child.
8. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(b) Kill a few rats and mice.
(c) Kill a few pigeons.
(d) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
9. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
10. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They were burned for starting fires.
(b) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(c) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
11. To what does Pearl awaken?
(b) A growl.
(c) A headache.
(d) A scream.
12. What does Joy allow Pearl to do?
(a) Get ready to see Tao.
(b) Sleep late.
(c) Braid her hair.
(d) Help her bathe.
13. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) The government's abuse.
(b) The way the brigade leader lives.
(c) Imminent death.
(d) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
14. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(a) Many uncut rice stalks.
(b) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(c) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
15. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(b) The feathers in the package.
(c) The boiled piece of leather.
(d) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl apply for paperwork to visit the Green Dragon Village?
2. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
3. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
4. What is beginning to hit the city?
5. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)