|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
(a) The district overseer is arriving.
(b) Everyone is to gather at the canteen.
(c) One of the workers is pinned under the tractor and help is needed.
(d) Help is needed in the rice paddy.
2. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To stretch them.
(b) To kill the mold on them.
(c) To extract the rice paste.
(d) To shrink them.
3. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(b) Her mother is in grave danger.
(c) Her mother has not forgotten her.
(d) Her mother is well.
4. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
(a) Gathered at a public criticism.
(b) On the road to a larger commune.
(c) Working in the rice paddies.
(d) Either dead or in their homes too weak to work.
5. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A white star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A red star.
(d) A red sash.
6. What does the government promise to women who give birth?
(a) An experienced doctor.
(b) Their female children will be protected.
(c) Extra food rations and cloth.
(d) An experienced midwife.
7. Who does Pearl carry to the car?
(d) No one.
8. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Deface public seating areas.
(b) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(c) Ignore the government's war.
(d) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
9. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Heat waves.
(b) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(c) Food shortages.
10. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
(b) That there is no money in the package.
(c) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
(d) That there is no baby formula in the package.
11. What does the brigade leader continue to expect?
(a) Double production.
(b) Propaganda classes in addition to the full day of hard labor.
(c) Gourmet meals.
(d) A full day's labor.
12. What is the meaning of the item pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) She has been denounced from the commune.
(b) She is being recognized for some achievement.
(c) She is being allowed to retire.
(d) She is going to give a talk.
13. What does the brigade leader have Yong do?
(a) Give each worker a bonus.
(b) Unbind her feet.
(c) Tell her story.
14. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) Imminent death.
(b) The government's abuse.
(c) The way the brigade leader lives.
(d) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
15. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(b) Help Joy recover.
(c) Name the child.
(d) Come to look at his child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work does Pearl do?
2. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
3. What is the problem with planting wheat?
4. What do Pearl's housemates do when Pearl is out of the house one day?
5. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)