|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The birds eat too much of it.
(b) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(c) The soil is not right for wheat.
(d) The mice eat too much of it.
2. What does Joy allow Pearl to do?
(a) Get ready to see Tao.
(b) Help her bathe.
(c) Braid her hair.
(d) Sleep late.
3. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
(a) To stretch them.
(b) To extract the rice paste.
(c) To shrink them.
(d) To kill the mold on them.
4. Why is Pearl upset to hear that Joy is pregnant?
(a) Joy will never leave the commune now.
(b) Joy will not be treated well if she has a girl.
(c) Joy's health will be in danger.
(d) Joy will not get good care.
5. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Kill a few rats and mice.
(b) Kill a few pigeons.
(c) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(d) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
6. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
(a) That he is going to America.
(b) That he is the man she loved when she was a teen before leaving China.
(c) That he is a spy for the United States.
(d) That he has asked Pearl to marry him.
7. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is a good man in a bad situation.
(b) He is sorry for what he did.
(c) He is doing the best he can.
(d) He is an evil man.
8. After whom does Joy name her child?
(b) Z. G.
9. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Make plans.
(c) Make love.
(d) Cry about Joy.
10. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Auntie Hu.
(b) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(c) Pearl's father.
(d) Z. G.
11. What is valued over performance?
(c) Espirit de corps.
(d) Looking busy.
12. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) In a government ceremony.
(b) By the building supervisor.
(c) In a Buddhist temple.
(d) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
13. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Ignore the government's war.
(b) Deface public seating areas.
(c) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(d) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
14. Where is May to meet the group?
(b) Hong Kong.
15. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That there is no money in the package.
(b) That there is no baby formula in the package.
(c) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
(d) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
2. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
3. With whom does Kumei have a disagreement?
4. What work does Pearl do?
5. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)