|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is beginning to hit the city?
(a) Rumors of the civil war coming closer.
(b) Heat waves.
(d) Food shortages.
2. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
(a) That he is a spy for the United States.
(b) That he has asked Pearl to marry him.
(c) That he is going to America.
(d) That he is the man she loved when she was a teen before leaving China.
3. What work does Pearl do?
(a) Cooking for the harvesters.
(b) Stoke the blast furnace.
(c) Grinding wheat.
(d) Cleaning the canning pots.
4. Who do Pearl and Dun go find?
(a) Z. G.
(b) Pearl's father.
(c) Z. G.'s housekeeper.
(d) Auntie Hu.
5. What does Tao do that surprises Joy?
(a) Slaps Yong.
(b) Refuses to help Yong up when she falls.
(c) Taunts and jeers at Yong.
(d) Slaps the brigade leader.
6. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(b) Make plans.
(c) Make love.
(d) Cry about Joy.
7. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(a) Auntie Hu.
(d) Z. G.
8. Where is everyone when Z. G. and Pearl arrive at the Green Dragon?
(a) On the road to a larger commune.
(b) Either dead or in their homes too weak to work.
(c) Working in the rice paddies.
(d) Gathered at a public criticism.
9. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
(a) A quart.
(b) One-half cup.
(c) Two cups.
(d) One cup.
10. What war has broken out?
(a) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
(b) In Taipai Province.
(c) In Huayang Province.
(d) Against the four evils.
11. What has likely happened to the messages Pearl has sent Joy?
(a) They are lost somewhere along the way.
(b) They were burned for starting fires.
(c) She does not think Pearl has sent her any messages.
(d) The censors have confisgated them.
12. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(b) He is sentenced to death.
(c) He is sentenced to prison.
(d) He returns to get Pearl.
13. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
(a) A white star.
(b) A white ribbon.
(c) A red sash.
(d) A red star.
14. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The boiled piece of leather.
(b) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(c) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(d) The feathers in the package.
15. What is valued over performance?
(b) Espirit de corps.
(c) Looking busy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Z. G. and Pearl's reaction to what they see on their drive to the commune?
2. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
3. What was Joy too weak to do?
4. What does the government realize about the peasants?
5. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)