|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many travel permits does Z. G. obtain?
2. What does Dun recognize as symbolic of extreme distress?
(a) The black circles on several pieces of paper
(b) The boiled piece of leather.
(c) The "x" mark on several pieces of paper.
(d) The feathers in the package.
3. What does the government realize about the peasants?
(a) They are more aware than they let on.
(b) They are eating more food than can be sustained.
(c) They are close to revolting.
(d) They are for the most part not too bright.
4. What do Joy and Z. G. do in Canton?
(a) Make love.
(b) Cry about Joy.
(c) Make plans.
5. Who is fed first when there is food?
(b) The youngest.
(c) The most productive.
(d) The elderly.
6. Who concocts a plan to get to the commune?
(a) Z. G.
(d) Auntie Hu.
7. How are Pearl and Dun married?
(a) In a government ceremony.
(b) They decide to wait until they get to the States.
(c) By the building supervisor.
(d) In a Buddhist temple.
8. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
(a) No where.
(b) The birthing house.
(c) The hospital in the closest city.
(d) The next-door neighbor's house who is a midwife.
9. What are sparrows, rats, insects, and flies considered?
(a) The worst karmic debt.
(b) The most fleeting Karma.
(c) The four evils.
(d) The four blessings.
10. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother has not forgotten her.
(b) Her mother is well.
(c) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(d) Her mother is in grave danger.
11. What has Tao's family managed to do to stave off starving?
(a) Kill a few pigeons.
(b) Grow a few mushrooms in the cellar.
(c) Hide a cupful of uncooked wheat kernels.
(d) Kill a few rats and mice.
12. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
(a) The Great Leap Forward.
(b) The upcoming festival.
(c) The overseer.
(d) The harvest.
13. What happens three months after Z. G. leaves the commune?
(a) He is sentenced to prison.
(b) He escapes to Hong Kong.
(c) He returns to get Pearl.
(d) He is sentenced to death.
14. What war has broken out?
(a) In Huayang Province.
(b) Against the four evils.
(c) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
(d) In Taipai Province.
15. What is the problem with planting wheat?
(a) The birds eat too much of it.
(b) The mice eat too much of it.
(c) The high humidity spoils wheat.
(d) The soil is not right for wheat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
2. What does Pearl confide to Joy about Dun?
3. What does the voice over the loudspeaker announce?
4. What is pinned to Yong's chest?
5. What is valued over performance?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)