|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
2. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
(a) She has had aspirations of becoming an artist.
(b) She has had terrible nightmares.
(c) She is raped nightly from her husband in an arranged marriage.
(d) She has terrible, almost-daily headaches.
3. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
(a) A poster Joy paints.
(b) A group of protestors.
(c) A poster Z. G. paints.
(d) A merging of Green Dragon Village and some nearby villages.
4. Who is chasing Joy from the United States?
(b) No one.
5. On what wall is Joy's picture to be hung?
(a) The Great Wall.
(b) The Wailing Wall.
(c) The Comrade Wall of Returned Chinese.
(d) The wall of disillusioned Americans.
6. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Register all her information.
(b) Renounce her American citizenship.
(c) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
(d) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
7. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She is leaving for Taiwan.
(b) She is moving to the East Coast.
(c) She has to leave him.
(d) She's ready to move to China with him.
8. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
(a) Z. G. has met Joy.
(b) Z. G. has been sent to the countryside to redeem himself.
(c) Z. G. is being honored in Beijing that month.
(d) Joy is not with Z. G.
9. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
(a) The streets of Chinatown.
(b) The Presidio.
(c) Fisherman's Wharf.
(d) Golden Gate Park.
10. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To find a young person to mentor.
(b) To show how much he has progressed.
(c) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(d) To supervise Joy and Tao.
11. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) When she is 28.
(c) When she is 40.
(d) When she is 9.
12. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
13. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) She loves farming.
(b) She is afraid to leave it.
(c) She loves Tao.
(d) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
14. Who is Pearl's husband?
(c) She is not married.
15. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Sam and Joy.
(b) Pearl and an unknown character.
(c) Joy and Pearl.
(d) Joy and Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
2. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
3. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
4. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
5. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)