|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
(a) Joy is not with Z. G.
(b) Z. G. has met Joy.
(c) Z. G. is being honored in Beijing that month.
(d) Z. G. has been sent to the countryside to redeem himself.
2. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
(a) Some her mother told her.
(b) Some her aunt told her.
(c) Those she learns from the Chinese Student Democratic Association.
(d) Some she has read by Chairman Mao.
3. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Joy and Pearl.
(b) Pearl and an unknown character.
(c) Joy and Joe.
(d) Sam and Joy.
4. What does Tao ask Joy?
(a) If she has a young man in the United States.
(b) If she will marry him.
(c) If he can return with her to the United States.
(d) If she will stay with him in the Green Dragon village which what he loves.
5. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(b) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(c) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(d) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
6. To where does Pearl walk?
(a) Her old family home.
(b) The bus depot.
(c) The train station.
(d) The large centrally-located park.
7. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
(a) It was written by the main character, Sam.
(b) It is a less savory view of the lives of some Chinese girls.
(c) There is no significance of the book.
(d) It is the prequel to "Dreams of Joy".
8. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
(a) Yuan scowls at her.
(b) Kumei waves away Joy's questions.
(c) Tao speaks harshly to her.
(d) Her father tells her to be silent.
9. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) Green Dragon Village.
(b) To his mother's home.
(c) To Hong Kong.
(d) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
10. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(b) Regular type.
11. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her parents.
12. In what do the sisters write to each other?
13. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She is moving to the East Coast.
(b) She has to leave him.
(c) She's ready to move to China with him.
(d) She is leaving for Taiwan.
14. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
15. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
(a) Give her a new identity.
(b) Confisgate her American passport.
(c) Stamp her American passport so she will not be able to leave.
(d) Confisgate most of her belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam die?
2. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
4. Who writes frequent letters to each other?
5. How does the Chinese government view romance?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)