|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what wall is Joy's picture to be hung?
(a) The Great Wall.
(b) The Wailing Wall.
(c) The wall of disillusioned Americans.
(d) The Comrade Wall of Returned Chinese.
2. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
3. What does Joy witness as a result of the woman's suicide?
(a) A whipping.
(b) The village pelting someone with rotten fruit.
(c) Her first public criticism.
(d) A hanging.
4. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
(a) Joy is a tiger and Tao is a dog.
(b) Joy has many siblings and Tao is an only child.
(c) Joy is a leo and Tao is a virgo.
(d) Joy is short and Tao is short.
5. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(b) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(c) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(d) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
6. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
(a) Kumei waves away Joy's questions.
(b) Yuan scowls at her.
(c) Her father tells her to be silent.
(d) Tao speaks harshly to her.
7. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She is moving to the East Coast.
(b) She is leaving for Taiwan.
(c) She's ready to move to China with him.
(d) She has to leave him.
8. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
(a) Fisherman's Wharf.
(b) Golden Gate Park.
(c) The streets of Chinatown.
(d) The Presidio.
9. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) Because she loves him deeply.
(b) To spite her father.
(c) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(d) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
10. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having her passport taken.
(b) Having no money.
(c) Registering her information.
(d) Having no transportation.
11. To what is Pearl sentenced?
(a) Six days hard labor.
(b) Weekly thought-reform sessions.
(c) Six days in a community work house.
(d) Weekly reports to an agent.
12. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
13. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) When she is 40.
(b) When she is 9.
(c) When she is 28.
(d) As a teenager.
14. What does Joy do when she finds her father coming out of a meeting?
(a) Confronts him on the street.
(b) Starts crying on the street.
(c) Decides she does not want to contact him yet.
(d) Follows him home.
15. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To find her birth father and true self.
(b) To visit her brother.
(c) To teach English.
(d) To learn about Chinese history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
2. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
3. What does Tao ask Joy?
4. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
5. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)