|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They think she is too bourgeois.
(b) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
(c) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(d) They think she speaks with an English accent.
2. On what wall is Joy's picture to be hung?
(a) The Comrade Wall of Returned Chinese.
(b) The Great Wall.
(c) The wall of disillusioned Americans.
(d) The Wailing Wall.
3. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(d) Regular type.
4. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) In pawn shops.
(b) By asking the neighbors for help.
(c) By petitioning the government.
(d) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
5. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) To spite her father.
(b) Because she loves him deeply.
(c) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
(d) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
6. In what do the sisters write to each other?
7. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
(b) She loves Tao.
(c) She is afraid to leave it.
(d) She loves farming.
8. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) The missing person's bureau.
(b) He does not remember.
(c) The Green Dragon Village.
(d) The Artist Association.
9. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
(a) Create art in her own fashion.
(b) Visit abroad.
(c) Write to May regularly.
(d) Live a life of luxury.
10. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(b) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
(c) Register all her information.
(d) Renounce her American citizenship.
11. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To teach English.
(b) To learn about Chinese history.
(c) To find her birth father and true self.
(d) To visit her brother.
12. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) An American cannot do something well.
(b) There is no place for pride in China.
(c) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
(d) She is an outsider.
13. Who is Z. G.?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A Chinese official high up in the party.
(c) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(d) Joy's father.
14. What does Tao ask Joy?
(a) If he can return with her to the United States.
(b) If she will stay with him in the Green Dragon village which what he loves.
(c) If she will marry him.
(d) If she has a young man in the United States.
15. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) Z. G.
(b) The agent in immigration.
(c) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(d) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
2. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
3. What has happened to the women in the commune?
4. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
5. To what is Pearl sentenced?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)