|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
2. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Drinking poison.
(b) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(c) Throwing herself down a well.
(d) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
3. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Joy is ready to come home.
(b) That Z. G. is dead.
(c) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
(d) That she has found Joy.
4. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She does not work hard enough.
(b) She is too imperialistic.
(c) She is too slow.
(d) She is too noisy.
5. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
(a) He is an agent for a very sinister group.
(b) He has a black mark against him.
(c) He will be in trouble if an American contacts him.
(d) He is married.
6. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) There is no place for pride in China.
(b) She is an outsider.
(c) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
(d) An American cannot do something well.
7. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) In pawn shops.
(d) By asking the neighbors for help.
8. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(b) Z. G.
(c) Her old nanny.
(d) Her brother-in-law.
9. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
(a) He thinks Joy would ruin Tao's life.
(b) He thinks she is too good for Tao.
(c) He thinks Joy would get bored with Tao.
(d) He thinks Tao would be a wonderful husband.
10. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
(a) China First.
(b) The Hope of the Future.
(c) Leaping into the Future.
(d) The Great Leap Forward.
11. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
(a) Those she learns from the Chinese Student Democratic Association.
(b) Some her mother told her.
(c) Some her aunt told her.
(d) Some she has read by Chairman Mao.
12. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For feeling pride in her performance.
(b) For sneaking off with Tao.
(c) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(d) For not being properly respectful to him.
13. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her parents.
14. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
(d) Z. G.
15. What are the peasants anxious to do?
(a) Marry Tao off to Joy.
(b) Help Z. G. with his latest gallery show.
(c) Abandon their marriages.
(d) Show how read their blood is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joy witness as a result of the woman's suicide?
2. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
3. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
4. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
5. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)