|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
(b) To his mother's home.
(c) Green Dragon Village.
(d) To Hong Kong.
2. Who is Z. G.?
(a) A Chinese official high up in the party.
(b) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(c) Joy's father.
(d) A farmer.
3. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) She is afraid to leave it.
(b) She loves Tao.
(c) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
(d) She loves farming.
4. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
(b) Disguises it as decorative art.
(c) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(d) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
5. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
(b) Register all her information.
(c) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(d) Renounce her American citizenship.
6. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
7. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
(a) To keep the sun from giving them cataracts.
(b) To keep the flies out of their eyes.
(c) To keep them from kicking since they won't kick if they can't see.
(d) To keep them from walking around sharp rocks in the field.
8. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
(a) Some her aunt told her.
(b) Those she learns from the Chinese Student Democratic Association.
(c) Some she has read by Chairman Mao.
(d) Some her mother told her.
9. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
(a) Z. G.
10. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) There is no place for pride in China.
(b) An American cannot do something well.
(c) She is an outsider.
(d) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
11. To what is Pearl sentenced?
(a) Weekly thought-reform sessions.
(b) Six days in a community work house.
(c) Weekly reports to an agent.
(d) Six days hard labor.
12. In what do the sisters write to each other?
13. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
(b) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(c) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(d) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
14. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She does not work hard enough.
(b) She is too slow.
(c) She is too noisy.
(d) She is too imperialistic.
15. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) Because she loves him deeply.
(b) To spite her father.
(c) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(d) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
2. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
3. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
4. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
5. Why does Joy go to China?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)