|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(b) Sneak into China.
(c) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(d) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
2. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(b) Throwing herself down a well.
(c) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
(d) Drinking poison.
3. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He is a good match for Joy.
(c) He is insignificant.
(d) He is wise beyond his years.
4. What does Joy witness as a result of the woman's suicide?
(a) A whipping.
(b) Her first public criticism.
(c) A hanging.
(d) The village pelting someone with rotten fruit.
5. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) Because she loves him deeply.
(b) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(c) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
(d) To spite her father.
6. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
(a) So they can spend time together away from the prying eyes of the commune.
(b) So Z. G. can discourage Tao from being interested in Joy.
(c) So Z. G. can discourage Joy from being interested in Tao.
(d) They both have similar talent.
7. Who is Pearl's husband?
(d) She is not married.
8. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
(a) To keep them from kicking since they won't kick if they can't see.
(b) To keep them from walking around sharp rocks in the field.
(c) To keep the flies out of their eyes.
(d) To keep the sun from giving them cataracts.
9. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) Posters of she and May.
(b) People celebrating Communism.
(c) Propaganda against the United States.
(d) Disabled elderly people begging.
10. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
(a) There are no veterinarians in the area.
(b) Punishment for deeds in a past life.
(c) The water buffalo won't let a human treat its wounds.
(d) He says there is no reason; it just is.
11. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) To practice.
(b) For propaganda posters.
(c) Because he loved both of them.
(d) For wanted posters.
12. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To supervise Joy and Tao.
(b) To find a young person to mentor.
(c) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(d) To show how much he has progressed.
13. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) Green Dragon Village.
(b) To Hong Kong.
(c) To his mother's home.
(d) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
14. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
(a) He takes half of her money for exchanging her American dollars.
(b) He does not cheat her.
(c) He charges her double for the passage.
(d) He offers to keep her jewelry safe but never gives it back.
15. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To visit her brother.
(b) To learn about Chinese history.
(c) To teach English.
(d) To find her birth father and true self.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes frequent letters to each other?
2. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
3. What does Pearl think will be very difficult?
4. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
5. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)