|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
2. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
(a) Kumei waves away Joy's questions.
(b) Her father tells her to be silent.
(c) Tao speaks harshly to her.
(d) Yuan scowls at her.
3. What does Joy witness as a result of the woman's suicide?
(a) The village pelting someone with rotten fruit.
(b) A whipping.
(c) A hanging.
(d) Her first public criticism.
4. Where does Joy go to search for her father?
(a) The Artist Association.
(b) His family home.
(c) His second wife's family home.
(d) A museum.
5. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) Disabled elderly people begging.
(b) Posters of she and May.
(c) People celebrating Communism.
(d) Propaganda against the United States.
6. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) The agent in immigration.
(b) Z. G.
(c) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(d) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
7. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(b) For feeling pride in her performance.
(c) For sneaking off with Tao.
(d) For not being properly respectful to him.
8. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(b) His mother's home.
(c) The countryside.
(d) To an art exhibit.
9. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(b) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(c) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(d) Joy will not leave the commune.
10. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Had several of her own children.
(b) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(c) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
(d) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
11. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
12. In what do the sisters write to each other?
13. Who does May think about finding in China?
(a) Her half sister.
(b) Her aunt and uncle.
(c) Z. G.
(d) Her brother.
14. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
(a) He takes half of her money for exchanging her American dollars.
(b) He does not cheat her.
(c) He charges her double for the passage.
(d) He offers to keep her jewelry safe but never gives it back.
15. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
(a) Why he supported the revolution.
(b) Who makes his lifestyle possible.
(c) The goals of communist art.
(d) Who is responsible for the liberation of China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
2. Who is Auntie Hu?
3. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
4. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
5. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)