|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To save resources.
(b) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
(c) To save fire wood.
(d) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
2. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
(c) Z. G.
(d) No one.
3. What causes Pearl elation when she enters China?
(a) She sees Joy's picture on the wall of returning Chinese.
(b) She talks to someone who has met Joy.
(c) She sees Z. G. at the airport.
(d) She sees her picture on a poster drawn by Z. G.
4. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
5. In what do the sisters write to each other?
6. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(b) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(c) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(d) Joy will not leave the commune.
7. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
(a) Visit abroad.
(b) Live a life of luxury.
(c) Write to May regularly.
(d) Create art in her own fashion.
8. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
(a) He is married.
(b) He is an agent for a very sinister group.
(c) He will be in trouble if an American contacts him.
(d) He has a black mark against him.
9. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) When she is 28.
(b) When she is 40.
(c) When she is 9.
(d) As a teenager.
10. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Z. G. is dead.
(b) That Joy is ready to come home.
(c) That she has found Joy.
(d) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
11. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They think she speaks with an English accent.
(b) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
(c) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(d) They think she is too bourgeois.
12. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) The Artist Association.
(b) The missing person's bureau.
(c) He does not remember.
(d) The Green Dragon Village.
13. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) For propaganda posters.
(b) For wanted posters.
(c) To practice.
(d) Because he loved both of them.
14. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Register all her information.
(b) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
(c) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(d) Renounce her American citizenship.
15. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
2. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
3. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
4. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
5. What has happened to the women in the commune?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)