|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
2. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) In pawn shops.
(d) By asking the neighbors for help.
3. What does Pearl sometimes sneak and keep?
(a) Bits of memorabilia from her childhood in China.
(b) Newspaper articles about Z. G.
(c) Pieces of material.
(d) Small pieces of the poster of her and May.
4. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
(a) She has terrible, almost-daily headaches.
(b) She has had aspirations of becoming an artist.
(c) She has had terrible nightmares.
(d) She is raped nightly from her husband in an arranged marriage.
5. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
(a) Set up a meeting with some Chinese Communists.
(b) Work undercover for them in China.
(c) Work undercover for them in San Francisco.
(d) Turn in Joy as a Communist sympathizer.
6. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
(a) He charges her double for the passage.
(b) He offers to keep her jewelry safe but never gives it back.
(c) He does not cheat her.
(d) He takes half of her money for exchanging her American dollars.
7. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) Posters of she and May.
(b) People celebrating Communism.
(c) Disabled elderly people begging.
(d) Propaganda against the United States.
8. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
9. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
(a) Confisgate her American passport.
(b) Stamp her American passport so she will not be able to leave.
(c) Give her a new identity.
(d) Confisgate most of her belongings.
10. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(b) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
(c) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
(d) Had several of her own children.
11. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He is a good match for Joy.
(c) He is insignificant.
(d) He is wise beyond his years.
12. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Sam and Joy.
(b) Joy and Pearl.
(c) Joy and Joe.
(d) Pearl and an unknown character.
13. Who is in charge of seeing that Dandelion Number Eight reaches its goals?
(a) Brigade Leader Suan.
(b) Commune Leader Lese.
(c) Brigade Leader Lai.
(d) General Tse.
14. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
(a) Some she has read by Chairman Mao.
(b) Some her mother told her.
(c) Some her aunt told her.
(d) Those she learns from the Chinese Student Democratic Association.
15. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no money.
(b) Having no transportation.
(c) Registering her information.
(d) Having her passport taken.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Pearl sentenced?
2. How does a woman kill herself one day?
3. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
4. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
5. Why does Joy go to China?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)