Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(b) They think she is too bourgeois.
(c) They think she speaks with an English accent.
(d) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
2. How does Joy feel about returning to the commune?
3. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(b) Sneak into China.
(c) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(d) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
4. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
(a) To keep them from walking around sharp rocks in the field.
(b) To keep the flies out of their eyes.
(c) To keep the sun from giving them cataracts.
(d) To keep them from kicking since they won't kick if they can't see.
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By petitioning the government.
(b) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(c) In pawn shops.
(d) By asking the neighbors for help.
6. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(b) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(c) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(d) Joy will not leave the commune.
7. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) To an art exhibit.
(b) The countryside.
(d) His mother's home.
8. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
(a) The goals of communist art.
(b) Why he supported the revolution.
(c) Who makes his lifestyle possible.
(d) Who is responsible for the liberation of China.
9. How many siblings does Tao have?
10. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
(b) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(c) The agent in immigration.
(d) Z. G.
11. Where does Z. G. say it is time to go?
(a) Hong Kong.
12. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 3 months.
13. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
(b) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(c) Had several of her own children.
(d) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
14. Who is in charge of seeing that Dandelion Number Eight reaches its goals?
(a) Commune Leader Lese.
(b) General Tse.
(c) Brigade Leader Suan.
(d) Brigade Leader Lai.
15. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) To his mother's home.
(b) Green Dragon Village.
(c) To Hong Kong.
(d) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
2. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
3. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
4. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
5. Who is Auntie Hu?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)