|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Pearl elation when she enters China?
(a) She sees her picture on a poster drawn by Z. G.
(b) She talks to someone who has met Joy.
(c) She sees Z. G. at the airport.
(d) She sees Joy's picture on the wall of returning Chinese.
2. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(b) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(c) Joy will not leave the commune.
(d) She is in love with a man at the commune.
3. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
(a) Confisgate her American passport.
(b) Confisgate most of her belongings.
(c) Give her a new identity.
(d) Stamp her American passport so she will not be able to leave.
4. What job is Pearl given?
(a) Paper collector.
5. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She is too noisy.
(b) She is too slow.
(c) She does not work hard enough.
(d) She is too imperialistic.
6. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) There is no place for pride in China.
(b) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
(c) An American cannot do something well.
(d) She is an outsider.
7. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
8. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
(b) Drinking poison.
(c) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(d) Throwing herself down a well.
9. In what do the sisters write to each other?
10. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
(c) Z. G.
(d) No one.
11. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
(a) It is a less savory view of the lives of some Chinese girls.
(b) There is no significance of the book.
(c) It is the prequel to "Dreams of Joy".
(d) It was written by the main character, Sam.
12. What are the peasants anxious to do?
(a) Help Z. G. with his latest gallery show.
(b) Marry Tao off to Joy.
(c) Abandon their marriages.
(d) Show how read their blood is.
13. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(c) Regular type.
14. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Had several of her own children.
(b) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
(c) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(d) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
15. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(b) To supervise Joy and Tao.
(c) To find a young person to mentor.
(d) To show how much he has progressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joy go to China?
2. Who is Auntie Hu?
3. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
4. How many siblings does Tao have?
5. Where do Joy and her father go?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)