|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) Because she loves him deeply.
(b) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
(c) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(d) To spite her father.
2. Who is Auntie Hu?
(a) An elderly woman who everyone calls Auntie Hu.
(b) Pearl's mother's best friend.
(c) May's husband's aunt.
(d) Pearl's great aunt.
3. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(b) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(c) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
(d) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
4. Who is chasing Joy from the United States?
(c) No one.
5. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
(a) Set up a meeting with some Chinese Communists.
(b) Work undercover for them in San Francisco.
(c) Turn in Joy as a Communist sympathizer.
(d) Work undercover for them in China.
6. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) The countryside.
(b) To an art exhibit.
(d) His mother's home.
7. Who does May think about finding in China?
(a) Z. G.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her half sister.
(d) Her aunt and uncle.
8. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
(c) Z. G.
(d) No one.
9. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(b) For sneaking off with Tao.
(c) For not being properly respectful to him.
(d) For feeling pride in her performance.
10. What are the peasants anxious to do?
(a) Abandon their marriages.
(b) Show how read their blood is.
(c) Help Z. G. with his latest gallery show.
(d) Marry Tao off to Joy.
11. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To supervise Joy and Tao.
(b) To show how much he has progressed.
(c) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(d) To find a young person to mentor.
12. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
(a) Confisgate most of her belongings.
(b) Give her a new identity.
(c) Confisgate her American passport.
(d) Stamp her American passport so she will not be able to leave.
13. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
(b) She loves Tao.
(c) She is afraid to leave it.
(d) She loves farming.
14. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
(a) Having come from America.
(b) Ping-Li's death.
(c) Being caught in the woods with Tao.
(d) Saying caring for children is the one thing she would hate.
15. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
(a) He will be in trouble if an American contacts him.
(b) He is married.
(c) He has a black mark against him.
(d) He is an agent for a very sinister group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
2. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
3. What does Tao ask Joy?
4. How does the Chinese government view romance?
5. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)