|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She is too slow.
(b) She is too noisy.
(c) She does not work hard enough.
(d) She is too imperialistic.
2. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To find a young person to mentor.
(b) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(c) To show how much he has progressed.
(d) To supervise Joy and Tao.
3. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
(a) A friendship with someone she knew as a young child.
(b) An apartment.
(c) Illegal contacts.
(d) A deposit box with her American passport.
4. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is wise beyond his years.
(b) He is a good match for Joy.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) He is insignificant.
5. How many siblings does Tao have?
6. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
(b) Disguises it as decorative art.
(c) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(d) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
7. What does Joy do when she finds her father coming out of a meeting?
(a) Confronts him on the street.
(b) Decides she does not want to contact him yet.
(c) Starts crying on the street.
(d) Follows him home.
8. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(b) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(c) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(d) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
9. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
(a) Z. G. has been sent to the countryside to redeem himself.
(b) Z. G. is being honored in Beijing that month.
(c) Z. G. has met Joy.
(d) Joy is not with Z. G.
10. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She's ready to move to China with him.
(b) She has to leave him.
(c) She is leaving for Taiwan.
(d) She is moving to the East Coast.
11. Where does Z. G. say it is time to go?
(b) Hong Kong.
12. What does Joy witness as a result of the woman's suicide?
(a) A hanging.
(b) A whipping.
(c) The village pelting someone with rotten fruit.
(d) Her first public criticism.
13. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) She loves farming.
(b) She loves Tao.
(c) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
(d) She is afraid to leave it.
14. In what do the sisters write to each other?
15. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(b) Renounce her American citizenship.
(c) Register all her information.
(d) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does May think about finding in China?
2. What job is Pearl given?
3. To where does Pearl walk?
4. What assignment is Joy given?
5. Why does Joy go to China?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)