|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
(a) He offers to keep her jewelry safe but never gives it back.
(b) He charges her double for the passage.
(c) He takes half of her money for exchanging her American dollars.
(d) He does not cheat her.
2. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(d) Regular type.
3. What does Tao ask Joy?
(a) If he can return with her to the United States.
(b) If she has a young man in the United States.
(c) If she will stay with him in the Green Dragon village which what he loves.
(d) If she will marry him.
4. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
(b) Z. G.
(c) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(d) The agent in immigration.
5. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
(b) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(c) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
(d) Disguises it as decorative art.
6. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) The countryside.
(b) His mother's home.
(d) To an art exhibit.
7. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Joy is ready to come home.
(b) That she has found Joy.
(c) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
(d) That Z. G. is dead.
8. How does the Chinese government view romance?
(a) It is strictly forbidden.
(b) They have offered no opinions about it.
(c) It makes the life of the peasants more bearable.
(d) A necessary evil.
9. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is insignificant.
(b) He is wise beyond his years.
(c) He is a good match for Joy.
(d) He is handsome.
10. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
11. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Finding any of her half sisters.
(b) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(c) Going to college on the East Coast.
(d) Finding her real father.
12. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
(a) She has had terrible nightmares.
(b) She has terrible, almost-daily headaches.
(c) She is raped nightly from her husband in an arranged marriage.
(d) She has had aspirations of becoming an artist.
13. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Sam and Joy.
(b) Joy and Joe.
(c) Pearl and an unknown character.
(d) Joy and Pearl.
14. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) Joy will not leave the commune.
(b) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(c) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(d) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
15. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They think she speaks with an English accent.
(b) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(c) They think she is too bourgeois.
(d) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
2. How many siblings does Tao have?
3. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
4. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
5. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)