|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Pearl elation when she enters China?
(a) She talks to someone who has met Joy.
(b) She sees Joy's picture on the wall of returning Chinese.
(c) She sees her picture on a poster drawn by Z. G.
(d) She sees Z. G. at the airport.
2. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) His mother's home.
(b) The countryside.
(d) To an art exhibit.
3. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
4. What assignment is Joy given?
(a) That of arranging a propaganda play for the village about the Marriage Law.
(b) Giving English lessons to the village children.
(c) Giving music lessons to the village children.
(d) Running the village nursery.
5. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To save resources.
(b) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
(c) To save fire wood.
(d) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
6. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
(a) The Presidio.
(b) The streets of Chinatown.
(c) Golden Gate Park.
(d) Fisherman's Wharf.
7. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Disguises it as decorative art.
(b) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(c) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
(d) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
8. Who does May think about finding in China?
(a) Her aunt and uncle.
(b) Z. G.
(c) Her half sister.
(d) Her brother.
9. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She is too imperialistic.
(b) She is too noisy.
(c) She does not work hard enough.
(d) She is too slow.
10. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She's ready to move to China with him.
(b) She is leaving for Taiwan.
(c) She has to leave him.
(d) She is moving to the East Coast.
11. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
12. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(a) Her old nanny.
(b) Her brother-in-law.
(c) Z. G.
13. In what do the sisters write to each other?
14. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
(a) Punishment for deeds in a past life.
(b) The water buffalo won't let a human treat its wounds.
(c) There are no veterinarians in the area.
(d) He says there is no reason; it just is.
15. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Finding any of her half sisters.
(b) Finding her real father.
(c) Going to college on the East Coast.
(d) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam die?
2. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
3. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
4. What is the significance of the book, "Shanghai Girls"?
5. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)