|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
(a) Some her aunt told her.
(b) Some she has read by Chairman Mao.
(c) Some her mother told her.
(d) Those she learns from the Chinese Student Democratic Association.
2. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
(a) Joy has many siblings and Tao is an only child.
(b) Joy is short and Tao is short.
(c) Joy is a leo and Tao is a virgo.
(d) Joy is a tiger and Tao is a dog.
3. How does the Chinese government view romance?
(a) It is strictly forbidden.
(b) They have offered no opinions about it.
(c) It makes the life of the peasants more bearable.
(d) A necessary evil.
4. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Renounce her American citizenship.
(b) Register all her information.
(c) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(d) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
5. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Throwing herself down a well.
(b) Drinking poison.
(c) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
(d) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
6. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
(a) Punishment for deeds in a past life.
(b) There are no veterinarians in the area.
(c) He says there is no reason; it just is.
(d) The water buffalo won't let a human treat its wounds.
7. Where does Joy go to search for her father?
(a) His family home.
(b) His second wife's family home.
(c) A museum.
(d) The Artist Association.
8. Who does May think about finding in China?
(a) Her half sister.
(b) Z. G.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her aunt and uncle.
9. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) His mother's home.
(b) To an art exhibit.
(d) The countryside.
10. What does Pearl sometimes sneak and keep?
(a) Pieces of material.
(b) Newspaper articles about Z. G.
(c) Bits of memorabilia from her childhood in China.
(d) Small pieces of the poster of her and May.
11. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
(a) Stamp her American passport so she will not be able to leave.
(b) Give her a new identity.
(c) Confisgate her American passport.
(d) Confisgate most of her belongings.
12. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
(b) To Hong Kong.
(c) To his mother's home.
(d) Green Dragon Village.
13. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She is moving to the East Coast.
(b) She is leaving for Taiwan.
(c) She has to leave him.
(d) She's ready to move to China with him.
14. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
(a) To keep the flies out of their eyes.
(b) To keep the sun from giving them cataracts.
(c) To keep them from walking around sharp rocks in the field.
(d) To keep them from kicking since they won't kick if they can't see.
15. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(b) Regular type.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
2. What causes Joy to question the ways of the village?
3. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
4. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
5. In what do the sisters write to each other?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)