|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To find her birth father and true self.
(b) To teach English.
(c) To learn about Chinese history.
(d) To visit her brother.
2. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(b) Disguises it as decorative art.
(c) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
(d) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
3. Who is Auntie Hu?
(a) May's husband's aunt.
(b) Pearl's great aunt.
(c) Pearl's mother's best friend.
(d) An elderly woman who everyone calls Auntie Hu.
4. Who is Z. G.?
(a) Joy's father.
(b) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A Chinese official high up in the party.
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(b) In pawn shops.
(c) By petitioning the government.
(d) By asking the neighbors for help.
6. Who is chasing Joy from the United States?
(d) No one.
7. What are the peasants anxious to do?
(a) Abandon their marriages.
(b) Show how read their blood is.
(c) Marry Tao off to Joy.
(d) Help Z. G. with his latest gallery show.
8. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
(a) He is an agent for a very sinister group.
(b) He is married.
(c) He has a black mark against him.
(d) He will be in trouble if an American contacts him.
9. Who is Pearl's husband?
(b) She is not married.
10. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
11. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Finding her real father.
(b) Going to college on the East Coast.
(c) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(d) Finding any of her half sisters.
12. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) Green Dragon Village.
(b) To his mother's home.
(c) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
(d) To Hong Kong.
13. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
14. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They think she speaks with an English accent.
(b) They think she is too bourgeois.
(c) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
(d) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
15. What does Pearl think will be very difficult?
(a) Convincing Joy to come home.
(b) Getting into China.
(c) Finding Z. G.
(d) Leaving China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
2. What causes Pearl elation when she enters China?
3. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
4. On what wall is Joy's picture to be hung?
5. Who is in charge of seeing that Dandelion Number Eight reaches its goals?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)