|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
(a) He has a black mark against him.
(b) He is an agent for a very sinister group.
(c) He will be in trouble if an American contacts him.
(d) He is married.
2. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) An American cannot do something well.
(b) There is no place for pride in China.
(c) She is an outsider.
(d) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
3. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) People celebrating Communism.
(b) Posters of she and May.
(c) Propaganda against the United States.
(d) Disabled elderly people begging.
4. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
(b) No one.
(d) Z. G.
5. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
6. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(c) Regular type.
7. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
(a) Her home in Los Angeles.
(b) Her life as a teenager in Green Dragon Village.
(c) Her home in San Francisco.
(d) The Shanghai she once knew.
8. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
(a) A deposit box with her American passport.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A friendship with someone she knew as a young child.
(d) Illegal contacts.
9. What assignment is Joy given?
(a) Giving music lessons to the village children.
(b) That of arranging a propaganda play for the village about the Marriage Law.
(c) Giving English lessons to the village children.
(d) Running the village nursery.
10. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
(a) He thinks Tao would be a wonderful husband.
(b) He thinks Joy would ruin Tao's life.
(c) He thinks she is too good for Tao.
(d) He thinks Joy would get bored with Tao.
11. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(b) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(c) Sneak into China.
(d) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
12. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
(a) The goals of communist art.
(b) Who is responsible for the liberation of China.
(c) Why he supported the revolution.
(d) Who makes his lifestyle possible.
13. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To save resources.
(b) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
(c) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
(d) To save fire wood.
14. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
(a) A group of protestors.
(b) A poster Joy paints.
(c) A merging of Green Dragon Village and some nearby villages.
(d) A poster Z. G. paints.
15. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) To Hong Kong.
(b) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
(c) Green Dragon Village.
(d) To his mother's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is Pearl given?
2. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
3. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
4. Who is Pearl's husband?
5. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)