|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no transportation.
(b) Having her passport taken.
(c) Registering her information.
(d) Having no money.
2. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(a) Z. G.
(c) Her old nanny.
(d) Her brother-in-law.
3. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
(a) Joy is a leo and Tao is a virgo.
(b) Joy has many siblings and Tao is an only child.
(c) Joy is short and Tao is short.
(d) Joy is a tiger and Tao is a dog.
4. Where does Z. G. say it is time to go?
(c) Hong Kong.
5. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
(a) Write to May regularly.
(b) Create art in her own fashion.
(c) Visit abroad.
(d) Live a life of luxury.
6. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her grandmother.
7. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) The Artist Association.
(b) He does not remember.
(c) The missing person's bureau.
(d) The Green Dragon Village.
8. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(b) Throwing herself down a well.
(c) Drinking poison.
(d) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
9. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(b) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(c) Sneak into China.
(d) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
10. What assignment is Joy given?
(a) Giving music lessons to the village children.
(b) Giving English lessons to the village children.
(c) That of arranging a propaganda play for the village about the Marriage Law.
(d) Running the village nursery.
11. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) Z. G.
(b) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
(c) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(d) The agent in immigration.
12. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(b) Finding her real father.
(c) Going to college on the East Coast.
(d) Finding any of her half sisters.
13. What does Pearl learn from Z. G.'s servant?
(a) Z. G. is being honored in Beijing that month.
(b) Joy is not with Z. G.
(c) Z. G. has met Joy.
(d) Z. G. has been sent to the countryside to redeem himself.
14. Who is Z. G.?
(a) Joy's father.
(b) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A Chinese official high up in the party.
15. Who is waiting for Pearl in her bedroom?
(a) Z. G.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
2. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
3. What mottoes does Joy quote when entering mainland China?
4. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
5. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)