|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) His mother's home.
(b) The countryside.
(c) To an art exhibit.
2. Who is Z. G.?
(a) A farmer.
(b) Joy's father.
(c) A Chinese official high up in the party.
(d) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
3. Why does Kumei think Joy and Tao are a perfect match?
(a) Joy is a leo and Tao is a virgo.
(b) Joy has many siblings and Tao is an only child.
(c) Joy is a tiger and Tao is a dog.
(d) Joy is short and Tao is short.
4. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) When she is 40.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) When she is 9.
(d) When she is 28.
5. How does the Chinese government view romance?
(a) They have offered no opinions about it.
(b) It is strictly forbidden.
(c) A necessary evil.
(d) It makes the life of the peasants more bearable.
6. What does Joy do when she finds her father coming out of a meeting?
(a) Follows him home.
(b) Decides she does not want to contact him yet.
(c) Confronts him on the street.
(d) Starts crying on the street.
7. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
(b) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
(c) Because she loves him deeply.
(d) To spite her father.
8. Of whom is Joy slightly afraid?
(a) Z. G.
9. Who is Auntie Hu?
(a) May's husband's aunt.
(b) Pearl's mother's best friend.
(c) An elderly woman who everyone calls Auntie Hu.
(d) Pearl's great aunt.
10. What job is Pearl given?
(d) Paper collector.
11. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To supervise Joy and Tao.
(b) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(c) To show how much he has progressed.
(d) To find a young person to mentor.
12. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 3 months.
13. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is insignificant.
(b) He is a good match for Joy.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) He is wise beyond his years.
14. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
(a) Saying caring for children is the one thing she would hate.
(b) Ping-Li's death.
(c) Being caught in the woods with Tao.
(d) Having come from America.
15. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
(a) So Z. G. can discourage Joy from being interested in Tao.
(b) So they can spend time together away from the prying eyes of the commune.
(c) They both have similar talent.
(d) So Z. G. can discourage Tao from being interested in Joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
2. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
3. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
4. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
5. How does a woman kill herself one day?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)