|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pearl's husband?
(b) She is not married.
2. Who are the narrator(s) in "Dreams of Joy"?
(a) Joy and Joe.
(b) Sam and Joy.
(c) Joy and Pearl.
(d) Pearl and an unknown character.
3. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(b) Her brother-in-law.
(c) Z. G.
(d) Her old nanny.
4. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
5. How does May hide the money she sends to Pearl?
(a) Conceals it into a flap on the inside of the letter.
(b) She does not send money because it would get stolen.
(c) Sews it into the hems of clothing.
(d) Disguises it as decorative art.
6. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Z. G. is dead.
(b) That she has found Joy.
(c) That Joy is ready to come home.
(d) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
7. On what wall is Joy's picture to be hung?
(a) The Great Wall.
(b) The Comrade Wall of Returned Chinese.
(c) The wall of disillusioned Americans.
(d) The Wailing Wall.
8. Who is Z. G.?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A Chinese official high up in the party.
(c) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(d) Joy's father.
9. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
(b) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(c) Z. G.
(d) The agent in immigration.
10. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
(a) A group of protestors.
(b) A poster Joy paints.
(c) A merging of Green Dragon Village and some nearby villages.
(d) A poster Z. G. paints.
11. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) To practice.
(b) For propaganda posters.
(c) For wanted posters.
(d) Because he loved both of them.
12. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(b) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
(c) They think she is too bourgeois.
(d) They think she speaks with an English accent.
13. How many siblings does Tao have?
14. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To find a young person to mentor.
(b) To show how much he has progressed.
(c) To supervise Joy and Tao.
(d) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
15. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(b) Regular type.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl think will be very difficult?
2. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
3. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
4. Who is in charge of seeing that Dandelion Number Eight reaches its goals?
5. How does a woman kill herself one day?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)