|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Z. G.?
(a) Joy's father.
(b) A Chinese official high up in the party.
(c) A diplomat for the People's Republic of China.
(d) A farmer.
2. Where do Joy and her father go?
(a) To Hong Kong.
(b) To his mother's home.
(c) Green Dragon Village.
(d) To a large city about two days ride from Shanghai.
3. What does Pearl think will be very difficult?
(a) Getting into China.
(b) Leaving China.
(c) Convincing Joy to come home.
(d) Finding Z. G.
4. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
(a) She has had aspirations of becoming an artist.
(b) She is raped nightly from her husband in an arranged marriage.
(c) She has terrible, almost-daily headaches.
(d) She has had terrible nightmares.
5. What is a social campaign aimed to transform China called?
(a) The Great Leap Forward.
(b) China First.
(c) Leaping into the Future.
(d) The Hope of the Future.
6. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
(a) So Z. G. can discourage Joy from being interested in Tao.
(b) They both have similar talent.
(c) So Z. G. can discourage Tao from being interested in Joy.
(d) So they can spend time together away from the prying eyes of the commune.
7. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) Joy will not leave the commune.
(b) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(c) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(d) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
8. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(b) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(c) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(d) Sneak into China.
9. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) For propaganda posters.
(b) To practice.
(c) For wanted posters.
(d) Because he loved both of them.
10. How does the Captain of the ship from Hong Kong cheat Joy?
(a) He does not cheat her.
(b) He offers to keep her jewelry safe but never gives it back.
(c) He charges her double for the passage.
(d) He takes half of her money for exchanging her American dollars.
11. To what is Pearl sentenced?
(a) Six days in a community work house.
(b) Weekly reports to an agent.
(c) Weekly thought-reform sessions.
(d) Six days hard labor.
12. Why does Joy think she will never leave the commune?
(a) She loves Tao.
(b) Her father has to live there for the rest of his life.
(c) She loves farming.
(d) She is afraid to leave it.
13. What has Pearl maintained in Hong Kong?
(a) Illegal contacts.
(b) A friendship with someone she knew as a young child.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A deposit box with her American passport.
14. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) The Green Dragon Village.
(b) The missing person's bureau.
(c) He does not remember.
(d) The Artist Association.
15. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
2. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
3. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
4. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
5. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)