|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
(a) Work undercover for them in San Francisco.
(b) Turn in Joy as a Communist sympathizer.
(c) Set up a meeting with some Chinese Communists.
(d) Work undercover for them in China.
2. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
3. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
(d) Imperialistic countries.
4. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To find her birth father and true self.
(b) To visit her brother.
(c) To learn about Chinese history.
(d) To teach English.
5. Why is Z. G. sent back to the commune?
(a) To teach the peasants how to produce propaganda posters.
(b) To show how much he has progressed.
(c) To find a young person to mentor.
(d) To supervise Joy and Tao.
6. What does Joy do when she finds her father coming out of a meeting?
(a) Decides she does not want to contact him yet.
(b) Follows him home.
(c) Starts crying on the street.
(d) Confronts him on the street.
7. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) Joy will not leave the commune.
(b) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(c) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(d) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
8. How does the Chinese government view romance?
(a) It is strictly forbidden.
(b) They have offered no opinions about it.
(c) It makes the life of the peasants more bearable.
(d) A necessary evil.
9. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
10. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) For propaganda posters.
(b) For wanted posters.
(c) To practice.
(d) Because he loved both of them.
11. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
(a) She does not work hard enough.
(b) She is too imperialistic.
(c) She is too noisy.
(d) She is too slow.
12. In what typeface is the entire Prologue written?
(d) Regular type.
13. What causes Pearl elation when she enters China?
(a) She sees her picture on a poster drawn by Z. G.
(b) She sees Joy's picture on the wall of returning Chinese.
(c) She sees Z. G. at the airport.
(d) She talks to someone who has met Joy.
14. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) People celebrating Communism.
(b) Disabled elderly people begging.
(c) Propaganda against the United States.
(d) Posters of she and May.
15. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
(a) To retaliate against Pearl's comments about Tao.
(b) Because she loves him deeply.
(c) To spite her father.
(d) To ensure that she will stay in the commune forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
2. Who is clearly talented when Z.G. begins his art class?
3. What does Pearl sometimes sneak and keep?
4. What is Dandelion Number Eight People's Commune?
5. What does Pearl think will be very difficult?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)