|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
2. Who has kept Pearl's room exactly as she left it?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her parents.
3. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
4. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Going to college on the East Coast.
(b) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(c) Finding any of her half sisters.
(d) Finding her real father.
5. Who is chasing Joy from the United States?
(a) No one.
6. Who do the Chinese hope to overpower in the future?
(b) Imperialistic countries.
7. Where is Joy wandering just after she runs away from home?
(a) Golden Gate Park.
(b) The Presidio.
(c) Fisherman's Wharf.
(d) The streets of Chinatown.
8. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
9. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) There is no place for pride in China.
(b) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
(c) She is an outsider.
(d) An American cannot do something well.
10. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
(a) Who is responsible for the liberation of China.
(b) Why he supported the revolution.
(c) The goals of communist art.
(d) Who makes his lifestyle possible.
11. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
(b) To save resources.
(c) To save fire wood.
(d) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
12. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
(a) He does not remember.
(b) The Green Dragon Village.
(c) The Artist Association.
(d) The missing person's bureau.
13. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(b) For feeling pride in her performance.
(c) For not being properly respectful to him.
(d) For sneaking off with Tao.
14. Who is actually Joy's biological mother?
15. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Drinking poison.
(b) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(c) Throwing herself down a well.
(d) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is Pearl given?
2. Who is Z. G.?
3. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
4. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
5. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)