|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is Pearl sentenced?
(a) Weekly thought-reform sessions.
(b) Weekly reports to an agent.
(c) Six days hard labor.
(d) Six days in a community work house.
2. What does Pearl's contact help her do?
(a) Contact the artist association of Beijing.
(b) Set up a contact across in Hong Kong for mail forwarding.
(c) Contact the missing persons bureau of Shanghai.
(d) Sneak into China.
3. Where is Z.G. going in the morning?
(a) His mother's home.
(b) To an art exhibit.
(c) The countryside.
4. How long has it been since Pearl has moved back into her childhood home?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 3 months.
5. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
(b) That Joy is ready to come home.
(c) That she has found Joy.
(d) That Z. G. is dead.
6. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
7. What does Joy tell Joe when she calls him?
(a) She's ready to move to China with him.
(b) She has to leave him.
(c) She is moving to the East Coast.
(d) She is leaving for Taiwan.
8. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) An American cannot do something well.
(b) She is an outsider.
(c) There is no place for pride in China.
(d) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
9. Why does Joy go to China?
(a) To learn about Chinese history.
(b) To visit her brother.
(c) To find her birth father and true self.
(d) To teach English.
10. How does a woman kill herself one day?
(a) Falling on an old rusty sword unearthed in the field.
(b) Throwing herself in the way of the hay cutter.
(c) Throwing herself down a well.
(d) Drinking poison.
11. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
(a) Turn in Joy as a Communist sympathizer.
(b) Set up a meeting with some Chinese Communists.
(c) Work undercover for them in China.
(d) Work undercover for them in San Francisco.
12. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(b) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
(c) Had several of her own children.
(d) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
13. What has Auntie Hu managed to do despite the new governmental controls?
(a) Write to May regularly.
(b) Create art in her own fashion.
(c) Visit abroad.
(d) Live a life of luxury.
14. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
(a) Her old nanny.
(b) Her brother-in-law.
(c) Z. G.
15. How does Sam die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joy accept Tao's offer of marriage?
2. How many siblings does Tao have?
3. What does Joy witness as a result of the woman's suicide?
4. Who is Auntie Hu?
5. Where does a guard tell Pearl he directed Joy?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)