|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pearl's husband?
(d) She is not married.
2. Why does Pearl not get along well with the boarders in her childhood home?
(a) They think she is too bourgeois.
(b) They are suspicious of Pearl's reasons for returning to China.
(c) They think she believes herself to be superior to them.
(d) They think she speaks with an English accent.
3. What assignment is Joy given?
(a) Running the village nursery.
(b) Giving music lessons to the village children.
(c) Giving English lessons to the village children.
(d) That of arranging a propaganda play for the village about the Marriage Law.
4. What does Joy realize are empty fantasies?
(a) Finding her real father.
(b) Finding any of her half sisters.
(c) Joe's notion of moving to China with Joy.
(d) Going to college on the East Coast.
5. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By petitioning the government.
(b) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
(c) By asking the neighbors for help.
(d) In pawn shops.
6. What does the FBI want Sam to do?
(a) Work undercover for them in San Francisco.
(b) Set up a meeting with some Chinese Communists.
(c) Turn in Joy as a Communist sympathizer.
(d) Work undercover for them in China.
7. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
(a) To practice.
(b) For propaganda posters.
(c) Because he loved both of them.
(d) For wanted posters.
8. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
9. How does Sam die?
10. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
(a) He says there is no reason; it just is.
(b) The water buffalo won't let a human treat its wounds.
(c) There are no veterinarians in the area.
(d) Punishment for deeds in a past life.
11. For what city does Joy purchase a ticket?
12. When is the last time Pearl has been in China?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) When she is 40.
(c) When she is 9.
(d) When she is 28.
13. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For feeling pride in her performance.
(b) For sneaking off with Tao.
(c) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(d) For not being properly respectful to him.
14. What is Z. G. supposed to remember?
(a) Who is responsible for the liberation of China.
(b) Why he supported the revolution.
(c) Who makes his lifestyle possible.
(d) The goals of communist art.
15. What does the interrogator force Pearl to do?
(a) Register all her information.
(b) Renounce her American citizenship.
(c) Tell him everything she knows about the United States.
(d) Renounce her Imperialist ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl sometimes sneak and keep?
2. What does the agent do before allowing Joy to enter China?
3. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
4. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
5. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)