|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is chasing Joy from the United States?
(b) No one.
2. How does the Chinese government view romance?
(a) A necessary evil.
(b) They have offered no opinions about it.
(c) It is strictly forbidden.
(d) It makes the life of the peasants more bearable.
3. What does Pearl finally admit to May?
(a) That she has found Joy.
(b) That Pearl has decided to stay in China.
(c) That Joy is ready to come home.
(d) That Z. G. is dead.
4. Why do they put metal blinders on the water buffalo?
(a) To keep the sun from giving them cataracts.
(b) To keep the flies out of their eyes.
(c) To keep them from walking around sharp rocks in the field.
(d) To keep them from kicking since they won't kick if they can't see.
5. What will make it more difficult for Pearl to search for Joy?
(a) Having no transportation.
(b) Registering her information.
(c) Having her passport taken.
(d) Having no money.
6. Why are all the people of the commune fed three meals a day at the canteen?
(a) To free up the woman from domestic chores.
(b) To create a spirit of camaraderie.
(c) To save fire wood.
(d) To save resources.
7. How many siblings does Tao have?
8. What does Pearl say about Tao?
(a) He is wise beyond his years.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) He is a good match for Joy.
(d) He is insignificant.
9. Who explains to Pearl that China has a large export business?
(a) The CEO of the largest export business in China.
(b) A worker from Soo Yuen Benevolent Association.
(c) Z. G.
(d) The agent in immigration.
10. What has happened to the women in the commune?
(a) They have been sent to other villages that needed help.
(b) They have been forced to bear more children for the cause.
(c) They have been emaciated from their marriages.
(d) They have been forced into arranged marriages.
11. Why does Pearl not leave with Z. G.?
(a) She is in love with a man at the commune.
(b) She hopes to whisk Joy away.
(c) Pearl has been ordered to stay at the commune.
(d) Joy will not leave the commune.
12. For what does Pearl find herself homesick?
(a) Her life as a teenager in Green Dragon Village.
(b) Her home in Los Angeles.
(c) The Shanghai she once knew.
(d) Her home in San Francisco.
13. What does Pearl think will be very difficult?
(a) Getting into China.
(b) Leaving China.
(c) Convincing Joy to come home.
(d) Finding Z. G.
14. How does Sam die?
15. Who does Joy believe is her biological mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joy's real father paint portraits of Joy's mother and aunt?
2. What does Tao ask Joy?
3. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
4. What Zodiac sign can include being tricky?
5. Why does one woman say that Pearl should not try to contact Z. G.?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)