|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three: The Dog Grins: Chapters 21 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joy think the most powerful leaders in China are?
(a) The ones who have been executed for so-called treason.
(b) The ones who lie the biggest and best.
(c) The ones who get busy and help the peasants with the harvest.
2. According to Auntie Hu, how can Pearl reclaim many of her old belongings?
(a) By asking the neighbors for help.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) In pawn shops.
(d) By finding all the receipts in the trunks in the attic.
3. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(a) Many uncut rice stalks.
(b) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(d) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
4. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Come to look at his child.
(b) Help Joy recover.
(c) Name the child.
(d) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
5. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
(a) She is not supposed to do better than others in the village.
(b) She is an outsider.
(c) There is no place for pride in China.
(d) An American cannot do something well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joy boil the shoes Pearl sends her?
2. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
3. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
4. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
5. Why does Tao insult Joy after she gives birth?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)