|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three: The Dog Grins: Chapters 21 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joy realize by the messages in the shoes?
(a) Her mother is well.
(b) Her mother is trying to escape back to America.
(c) Her mother has not forgotten her.
(d) Her mother is in grave danger.
2. How does Z. G. view Joy's relationship with Tao?
(a) He thinks Joy would ruin Tao's life.
(b) He thinks Tao would be a wonderful husband.
(c) He thinks she is too good for Tao.
(d) He thinks Joy would get bored with Tao.
3. What does everyone on the commune worry about concerning the upcoming winter?
(a) The artic winds are supposed to be worse this year.
(b) The snow will be worse than last year.
(c) The ground will get too hard to plow.
(d) The winter will be harder than last year.
4. Why does Z.G. rebuke Joy?
(a) For sneaking off with Tao.
(b) For laughing at one of the village elders.
(c) For feeling pride in her performance.
(d) For not being properly respectful to him.
5. To what does Joy think the people are blind?
(a) The way the brigade leader lives.
(b) Imminent death.
(c) The way so many of the communes members are dying.
(d) The government's abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
2. What requires that every pair of hands work nonstop?
3. How much rice is each peasant given per day?
4. What is valued over performance?
5. Alongside whom does Pearl work?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)