|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three: The Dog Grins: Chapters 21 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tao not do after Joy gives birth?
(a) Help Joy recover.
(b) Talk to the doctor about Joy's condition.
(c) Name the child.
(d) Come to look at his child.
2. How does the Chinese government view romance?
(a) It makes the life of the peasants more bearable.
(b) They have offered no opinions about it.
(c) It is strictly forbidden.
(d) A necessary evil.
3. What does Pearl frequently see as she is doing her job as paper collector?
(a) Posters of she and May.
(b) People celebrating Communism.
(c) Propaganda against the United States.
(d) Disabled elderly people begging.
4. What does Tao say is the reason for the water buffalo's suffering?
(a) The water buffalo won't let a human treat its wounds.
(b) He says there is no reason; it just is.
(c) There are no veterinarians in the area.
(d) Punishment for deeds in a past life.
5. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(b) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
(c) Deface public seating areas.
(d) Ignore the government's war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not suspicious of Pearl?
2. Where does Tao's mother send Joy when she begins contractions?
3. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
4. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
5. Who is fed first when there is food?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)