|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three: The Dog Grins: Chapters 21 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
(a) She is raped nightly from her husband in an arranged marriage.
(b) She has had aspirations of becoming an artist.
(c) She has had terrible nightmares.
(d) She has terrible, almost-daily headaches.
2. What does the government insist the sparrows do?
(a) Nest in eaves and ruin them.
(b) Ignore the government's war.
(c) Devour most of the seeds and grains.
(d) Deface public seating areas.
3. Why is Joy happy but frustrated when she receives a package from Pearl?
(a) That there is no baby formula in the package.
(b) That Pearl has not come to the commune in person.
(c) That the letter is brief and says nothing.
(d) That there is no money in the package.
4. What does Pearl think she would have done if life had treated her a bit more kindly?
(a) Had several of her own children.
(b) Married a young, handsome professor like Dun.
(c) Found Joy and gotten out of China already.
(d) Lived to a ripe old age in the Shanghai of her youth.
5. What do the harvesters leave standing?
(b) Every tenth row for gleaners.
(c) Ten percent of the crop for the local farmers.
(d) Many uncut rice stalks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl sometimes sneak and keep?
2. What is valued over performance?
3. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
4. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
5. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)