|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three: The Dog Grins: Chapters 21 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war has broken out?
(a) Against the four evils.
(b) In Huayang Province.
(c) Near the border of Russia and Mongolia.
(d) In Taipai Province.
2. Why does Pearl feel terrible as she harvests various crops?
(a) For tiring out quickly.
(b) For not going very fast.
(c) For ruining so much of it.
(d) For not knowing how to cut the harvest.
3. Who is Auntie Hu?
(a) Pearl's great aunt.
(b) May's husband's aunt.
(c) Pearl's mother's best friend.
(d) An elderly woman who everyone calls Auntie Hu.
4. What is the precipitating factor for Joy's assignment?
(a) Saying caring for children is the one thing she would hate.
(b) Having come from America.
(c) Being caught in the woods with Tao.
(d) Ping-Li's death.
5. Why does Z. G. arrange for Joy and Tao to have art lessons together?
(a) They both have similar talent.
(b) So Z. G. can discourage Joy from being interested in Tao.
(c) So they can spend time together away from the prying eyes of the commune.
(d) So Z. G. can discourage Tao from being interested in Joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Kumei from the age of five on?
2. Why is Joy not supposed to be pleased with her performance?
3. What do Pearl's housemates say about her when she returns from Auntie Hu's home?
4. What does the commune leader announce that is mandated by the government?
5. What does Joy request of Tao in front of the commune?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)