* The Prologue summaries the previous book with these characters. Joy was raised believing Pearl was her mother and Mary her aunt.
* In "Shanghai Girls" she finds out that May is her birth mother and Pearl is actually her aunt. The man Joy thought was her father, Sam commits suicide.
* Sam hung himself because the FBI wants him to turn Joy in as a communist sympathizer because she belonged to a Chinese club at school.
* Joy is filled with guilt over Sam's death, and in the middle of the night she packs her belongings and runs away to China to look for her birth father.
* The novel is written in the first person with alternating voice between Joy and Pearl. Chapter 1 through 3 is in Joy's voice.
* Joy calls her boyfriend Joe and says she is ready to go to China with...
This section contains 3,152 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)