|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What law does the Corporal tell the prisoners he is there to fulfill?
2. Who does Makak try to bribe by saying he has money?
3. When the Corporal asks Souris and Tigre how Makak has behaved, what is their response?
4. What does Makak tell his companions will bring them peace?
5. What weapon does Makak have in the prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the main theme of Walcott's play? Identify at least three events in Dream on Monkey Mountain that communicate this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Walcott includes the confrontation between the Corporal and Tigre? What purpose does the scene serve? Do you think the reader would have had just as thorough an understanding of the characters without this description of events?
Essay Topic 3
Walcott uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire play. Why do you think he chooses to write this way? What are the pros and cons of using this point of view in this particular story?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)