|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Makak tell Moustique he spent the night with?
2. What is the Market Inspector's real name?
3. What does the Corporal pull out of Makak's bag?
4. Why does Makak fall to his knees in the Prologue?
5. What is the man on the stretcher dying from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are nature and God connected in Walcott's story?
2. Describe the market in Act 1, Scene 3.
3. What are the differences between tradition and change in Act 2, Scene 2, Part 2?
4. Do you think Makak's visions can best be explained by delusions, or is there an underlying cause or purpose for these visions?
5. Describe the differences between Makak and Moustique.
6. Describe the relationship between Makak and Moustique at the end of the play?
7. Was it difficult to get used to the syntax Walcott uses in this play? Why?
8. Do you think Makak's quest is futile? Why or why not?
9. Why do you think Moustique decides to dress up as Makak?
10. What does the character of Basil symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters' identities are in flux throughout the play? Why would Walcott create such confusion among characters? What does this add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How is the Corporal described in the initial portion of the play? Do you think this is a fair description of the Corporal's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main theme of Walcott's play? Identify at least three events in Dream on Monkey Mountain that communicate this theme.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)