|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Corporal pull out of Makak's bag?
2. What does Makak tell the Peasants to do for the sick man?
3. What does Makak call Moustique when Moustique gets in his way?
4. What disappears as Makak begins his monologue in the Prologue?
5. What is lying on the ground near Makak in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the image of the Woman in White that Makak encounters so frequently.
2. How does the concept of false identity appear in Scene 1?
3. What symbol does the spider serve in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Describe the relationship between Tigre and Souris.
5. Why do you think Moustique decides to dress up as Makak?
6. Explain the significance of the list of the white people put on trial.
7. Describe the significance of the closing song sung by the Chorus.
8. Describe the differences between Makak and Moustique.
9. What do you learn about Tigre and Souris in the Prologue?
10. What does Act 2, Scene 1 say about human nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the Corporal described in the initial portion of the play? Do you think this is a fair description of the Corporal's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Tigre and Souris. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Walcott's play. Why would Walcott include these instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)