|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets one of the Peasants?
2. What race is the Corporal?
3. What does the chorus sing about in the Prologue?
4. How long have Makak and Moustique known each other?
5. What does Makak call Moustique when Moustique gets in his way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an instance of foreshadowing in Scene 1.
2. Do you think Makak's journey to know himself is an allegory for Christ's journey to be with God? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Makak's quest is futile? Why or why not?
4. What is your first impression of Makak?
5. Why do you think Makak doesn't argue more with Moustique about his intent not to use his gifts for profit?
6. What is significant about the name of the Market Inspector?
7. Why is Makak imprisoned?
8. What do you learn about Tigre and Souris in the Prologue?
9. How do readers/audience find out Makak's real name?
10. What is Makak's personal truth, revealed at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly summarize the incident when Makak gets arrested. Why would Walcott include this scene? Is there anything you find particularly disturbing about the scene?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the Figure and the Woman in White. Are they similar in any way, or are they mostly different? What role does each play in Makak's life and worldview? How does his relationship with each character change throughout the work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of the Figure's presence in Walcott's play. What does the character of the Figure add to the plot? What would the story be like had Walcott not included such a character?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)