|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felicia ask her new friend to do for her?
2. After what event in 1978 does Felicia return to her best friend and the Yoruban religion?
3. Who is Ernesto Brito?
4. What divine object does Felicia become fascinated with in Imagining Winter: God's Will?
5. Who returns the day after Felicia burns Graciela's scalp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jorge say that causes Lourdes to fall to the ground and bleed?
2. What causes Lourdes to swing her handbag at a man in her bakery?
3. Why does Felicia pour lye on Graciela Moriera's scalp?
4. Why does Ivanito run away from his teacher?
5. Why does Lourdes have a hard time punishing Pilar?
6. How does Celia respond to the religious attendees trying to soothe Felicia as she nears death?
7. Why is Jorge enraged with Celia while he is on a business trip?
8. How does Lourdes respond when she eats the sugar cane in Cuba?
9. What does Celia wonder about her relationship with Gustavo?
10. What does Celia say Jorge is jealous about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lourdes overeat at the beginning of the novel? Why might Lourdes later feel a sudden need to be empty? What does Lourdes's weight represent in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What joyful experiences has Ivanito known in his life? What are some signs that show that Ivanito is disappointed? How does Ivanito escape from his problems?
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters in Dreaming in Cuban thrive in the face of conflict? Choose one character and describe how he or she uses conflict to improve his or her life.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)