|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felicia's family fear about her sudden peacefulness?
2. What does Celia realize when she hears shells singing a song in her bones?
3. Who tells Ivanito that vile things will be said to him/her in Russia?
4. Who is the only person Lourdes feels she can talk to?
5. What does Lourdes recall telling tourists, so they would buy her food?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celia respond to the religious attendees trying to soothe Felicia as she nears death?
2. What causes Lourdes to swing her handbag at a man in her bakery?
3. What helps Pilar's life begin in Imagining Winter: A Matrix Light?
4. How does Lourdes respond when she eats the sugar cane in Cuba?
5. What does Celia wonder about her relationship with Gustavo?
6. Why does Celia believe Lourdes is punishing her?
7. What does Celia say Jorge is jealous about?
8. How does Lourdes lose so much weight in Imagining Winter: A Matrix Light?
9. Why are the women in town attracted to Javier?
10. Why does Ivanito run away from his teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters in Dreaming in Cuban thrive in the face of conflict? Choose one character and describe how he or she uses conflict to improve his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
Why must a sacrifice be made to Ellegua to give peace to Felicia and her father? What symbols of santeria are identified in Ordinary Seductions: Ocean Blue? What significance might the symbols have?
Essay Topic 3
Felicia is urged by her best friend to participate in the ritual with La Madrina. Why might she be reluctant to go? What does her behavior suggest about her faith? Does the loss of her father play a role in her lack of enthusiasm?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)