|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who betrays Celia by revealing her involvement in politics?
2. What suddenly disgusts Lourdes in Imagining Winter: A Matrix Light?
3. Who writes a letter to El Lider about Ernesto's death?
4. Why does Lourdes stop eating in Imagining Winter: A Matrix Light?
5. Who does Felicia meet when she is six years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Lourdes to swing her handbag at a man in her bakery?
2. How does Felicia support Herminia when her son dies?
3. Why does Jorge say he left Cuba?
4. While Pilar is out shopping, what does she realize is the only time in life she felt determined?
5. What academic activity does Celia say Javier has been involved with?
6. Why are the women in town attracted to Javier?
7. What does Celia say Jorge is jealous about?
8. Why does Celia believe Lourdes is punishing her?
9. What does Jorge say that causes Lourdes to fall to the ground and bleed?
10. What does Lourdes prefer to do, rather than listen to Ivanito's dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Celia write a letter to Gustavo each month? What experiences or memories is she trying to preserve? How is the voice she uses in her letters different from the voice she uses in everyday life?
Essay Topic 2
How do the characters in Dreaming in Cuban thrive in the face of conflict? Choose one character and describe how he or she uses conflict to improve his or her life.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jorge become a prominent figure in Lourdes's life only after his death? Why does he speak to Lourdes and not Celia, Felicia, or Javier? How do Jorge's insights influence other members of the family?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)