|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pilar plan to travel?
2. What does Celia keep that her lover gave her?
3. What does Tia Alica leave Celia when she dies?
4. What does Celia do when she leaves the asylum?
5. Who arrives in Santa Teresa del Mar, screaming for Celia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What commitment does Celia make after Jorge dies?
2. What happens to Celia after her parents divorce?
3. When Celia's great aunt takes her to the santera, what prediction is made for Celia's life?
4. How does Felicia attempt to kill herself and her son, Ivanito?
5. How does Lourdes connect with her husband?
6. According to rumors, why have yanquis ringed the island with nuclear poison?
7. What are Pilar's supernatural gifts?
8. For what reason is Felicia is persuaded to participate in the Revolution?
9. How does Celia describe the environment that Lourdes was born in?
10. What does Celia tell Gustavo she does when she hears Jorge has been in a terrible accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Celia feel abandoned by in the novel? How do her feelings of abandonment affect her relationships? Who does Celia abandon in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does Celia reveal about Gustavo, through her monthly letters? What characteristics can the reader assume he has? How does Celia's idealized love for Gustavo impact her marriage? How does it influence her devotion to El Lider?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jorge become a prominent figure in Lourdes's life only after his death? Why does he speak to Lourdes and not Celia, Felicia, or Javier? How do Jorge's insights influence other members of the family?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)