|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celia name her son after her father?
2. When did Pilar leave her Abuela Celia?
3. What does Felicia put in the cake icing?
4. Who is Pilar able to communicate telepathically with?
5. Who arrives in Santa Teresa del Mar, screaming for Celia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Celia worry about Ivanito's looks?
2. What happens when the soldiers return to the ranch?
3. What are Pilar's supernatural gifts?
4. What commitment does Celia make after Jorge dies?
5. How does Felicia attempt to kill herself and her son, Ivanito?
6. What confuses Celia about her success as a judge in the town cases?
7. Why does Lourdes fire her new employee at the bakery?
8. What does Jorge reveal about Pilar when Lourdes is on her walk home from the bakery?
9. How does Rufino bond with his daughter Pilar?
10. What does Ester Ugarte accuse Loli Regalado of in Imagining Winter: The Meaning of Shells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What circumstances allow a transformation to take place in Pilar? How has she prepared herself for this transformation? How do others assist in helping Pilar figure out what she must do?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Celia write a letter to Gustavo each month? What experiences or memories is she trying to preserve? How is the voice she uses in her letters different from the voice she uses in everyday life?
Essay Topic 3
How do Celia's political views shape her parenting? How have Celia's children responded to her devotion to El Lider? How might her views influence her to stay in Cuba, rather than live in the U.S., where she could be closer to Pilar?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)