|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Celia feel Jorge betrays her?
2. What are the names of the fishing boats Celia sees?
3. What time of year does Ordinary Seductions: Ocean Blue take place?
4. What does Lourdes foresee during her moment of crisis?
5. Who encourages Celia to write to Gustavo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Celia name her son after her father?
2. What happens when the soldiers return to the ranch?
3. What commitment does Celia make after Jorge dies?
4. What happens to Celia after her parents divorce?
5. How does Rufino bond with his daughter Pilar?
6. What are Pilar's supernatural gifts?
7. Why does Celia worry about Ivanito's looks?
8. What does Jorge reveal about Pilar when Lourdes is on her walk home from the bakery?
9. According to rumors, why have yanquis ringed the island with nuclear poison?
10. What does Felicia realize about her mother's attraction to El Lider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pilar has a strong, psychic connection with her grandmother, Celia, as well as a unique ability to recall details of her life. Yet, Pilar's identity is weak. Why might Pilar have a weak sense of identity? What role do her family members play in shaping her identity? How might her experience leaving home help strengthen her identity?
Essay Topic 2
How does Celia feel abandoned by in the novel? How do her feelings of abandonment affect her relationships? Who does Celia abandon in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What joyful experiences has Ivanito known in his life? What are some signs that show that Ivanito is disappointed? How does Ivanito escape from his problems?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)