|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Celia writing letters to Gustavo?
2. How does Rufino explain the voices Lourdes hears?
3. What does Celia tell her daughter not to bring in the house?
4. Who checks Celia into a mental asylum?
5. What does Celia agree to do if Gustavo does not respond to her letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jorge reveal about Pilar when Lourdes is on her walk home from the bakery?
2. Why does Celia worry about Ivanito's looks?
3. What does Celia tell Gustavo she does when she hears Jorge has been in a terrible accident?
4. What does Ester Ugarte accuse Loli Regalado of in Imagining Winter: The Meaning of Shells?
5. Why does Jorge allow his sister and mother to terrorize Celia?
6. What qualities make Lourdes an irritating force to her family?
7. What confuses Celia about her success as a judge in the town cases?
8. Why does Celia practice the smiles of her youth?
9. What happens when the soldiers return to the ranch?
10. Why does Celia imply that the mental asylum is a refuge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters in Dreaming in Cuban thrive in the face of conflict? Choose one character and describe how he or she uses conflict to improve his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
What significance does Ivanito leaving Cuba at the end of the novel have? Why doesn't Celia have a say in this decision? Why does Pilar choose not to share the decision with Celia when she has a chance?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Celia choose a life of questioning and wondering? How does this way of life help her? How does it hurt her?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)