|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a santera once see on Celia's palm?
2. How does Rufino explain the voices Lourdes hears?
3. In Chapter 2, what family member does Lourdes unsuccessfully call?
4. What does Felicia put in the cake icing?
5. Who predicts that Celia will survive hard times and live by the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to rumors, why have yanquis ringed the island with nuclear poison?
2. Under what condition does Celia tell Gustavo she will come find him?
3. What agreement for marriage do Jorge and Celia make?
4. How does Felicia attempt to kill her husband, Hugo?
5. How does Felicia attempt to kill herself and her son, Ivanito?
6. How does Celia know her husband has died?
7. What commitment does Celia make after Jorge dies?
8. Why must a goat be sacrificed to help Felicia?
9. How does Lourdes connect with her husband?
10. What is significant about Celia's son being born with a caul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lourdes overeat at the beginning of the novel? Why might Lourdes later feel a sudden need to be empty? What does Lourdes's weight represent in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Celia turn to santeria in order to save her son, Javier? Why does she denounce santeria when Felicia dies? Is Celia consistent with her religious beliefs? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jorge become a prominent figure in Lourdes's life only after his death? Why does he speak to Lourdes and not Celia, Felicia, or Javier? How do Jorge's insights influence other members of the family?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)