|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Miranda and Jeff move at the end of the book?
2. What does Nicholas say he hears in the house when he returns?
3. What sickness does Miranda get after the boat accident?
4. What do Peggy and Miranda plan while Nicholas is away from Dragonwyck for a few days?
5. What about Jeff does Miranda find soothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peggy feel about all the social engagements that happen after the baby dies?
2. What does Miranda realize when she falls ill in the Pine Orchard Mountain House?
3. What happens when Miranda meets with Nicholas in the tower room?
4. How does Miranda feel when she wakes up after her wedding night, and how does Nicholas respond to this?
5. What happens when Miranda secretly meets with Jeff?
6. Who does Jeff plan to marry when he returns from the war, and why does he not get the chance to propose to her?
7. What happens when the Mary Clinton bursts into flames?
8. What does Jeff do for Peggy before he and Miranda move to California?
9. What does Jeff say to Miranda after they meet, while Nicholas is away from Dragonwyck?
10. What does Miranda find in the attic, and how does this make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Peggy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alter the outcome of the plot? What happens differently if she is not in the book at all?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)