|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Nicholas mourn his dead son?
2. How does Peggy get Miranda's attention when Nicholas gets home?
3. What is outside of the theater when the Van Ryns go to see the play?
4. What does Nicholas poison Johanna with?
5. What does Miranda think about her wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jeff plan to marry when he returns from the war, and why does he not get the chance to propose to her?
2. What does Jeff write to Miranda about, and how is he feeling?
3. What does Jeff do before leaving Dragonwyck as Nicholas orders him?
4. How does Miranda feel when she wakes up after her wedding night, and how does Nicholas respond to this?
5. Where does Miranda stay when she gets back to Dragonwyck, and how does she feel about this?
6. How does Miranda feel about Poe's home?
7. What happens when Miranda secretly meets with Jeff?
8. What does Miranda do with Dragonwyck when she hears that Nicholas is dead?
9. What does Miranda realize when she falls ill in the Pine Orchard Mountain House?
10. What does Nicholas say when Miranda asks him what he thinks of Poe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Peggy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alter the outcome of the plot? What happens differently if she is not in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)