|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is invited to the house for St. Nicholas's Day?
2. What does Miranda say Poe's wife looks like?
3. What does Nicholas poison Johanna with?
4. Where do Miranda and Jeff move at the end of the book?
5. What does Nicholas say he hears in the house when he returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peggy feel about all the social engagements that happen after the baby dies?
2. What happens when Miranda asks Nicholas to let Peggy be her maid at home?
3. What happens when the Mary Clinton bursts into flames?
4. Who does Jeff plan to marry when he returns from the war, and why does he not get the chance to propose to her?
5. What happens when a new governor is elected?
6. What does Jeff say to Miranda after they meet, while Nicholas is away from Dragonwyck?
7. How does Miranda feel about Poe's home?
8. What does Jeff do before leaving Dragonwyck as Nicholas orders him?
9. What does De Grenier say to Miranda when he arrives to their party?
10. What does Jeff do for Peggy before he and Miranda move to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they do not do on their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)