|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the doctor called on to help Poe's wife?
2. Who cares for Miranda when she gets injured after the PT Barnum show?
3. What happens to Miranda just before St. Nicholas's Day?
4. What is outside of the theater when the Van Ryns go to see the play?
5. What does Miranda say Poe's wife looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Miranda asks Nicholas to let Peggy be her maid at home?
2. What does Miranda do with Dragonwyck when she hears that Nicholas is dead?
3. What does Jeff do before leaving Dragonwyck as Nicholas orders him?
4. What happens when a bucket of water is thrown on Nicholas?
5. What does De Grenier say to Miranda when he arrives to their party?
6. How does Miranda feel when she wakes up after her wedding night, and how does Nicholas respond to this?
7. What happens when Miranda meets with Nicholas in the tower room?
8. Who does Jeff plan to marry when he returns from the war, and why does he not get the chance to propose to her?
9. What does Jeff say to Miranda after they meet, while Nicholas is away from Dragonwyck?
10. How does Peggy feel about all the social engagements that happen after the baby dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Peggy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alter the outcome of the plot? What happens differently if she is not in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they do not do on their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)