|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dancing take place on the Fourth of July?
2. What are the tenant farmers dressed as when they ambush Miranda?
3. What is brought to Nicholas by the people who come to Dragonwyck before the festivities of the Fourth of July are over?
4. What is the name of the book Miranda is reading when her mother calls her?
5. What is Nicholas's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeff feel about Dragonwyck when he comes to treat Johanna's cold in the winter?
2. What causes Miranda's father to think twice about leaving his daughter, and what does she say to change her mind?
3. How does Miranda feel when she sees the hotel room that is prepared for her, at her first stop on her journey to Dragonwyck?
4. What does Nicholas ask Miranda to do after her first dinner at Dragonwyck?
5. What does Jeff do when he stays the night at Dragonwyck?
6. What does Nicholas do when he and Miranda meet alone at night after Johanna's death?
7. What happens when Nicholas and Miranda are driving home from the doctor's office?
8. What causes Miranda to feel guilt during the summer?
9. How do de Grenier and Miranda feel about the way Nicholas handles the offerings of the tenant farmers?
10. How does Johanna die, and how does Nicholas respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)