|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charity almost die from?
2. How is Miranda related to Nicholas?
3. How many servants are at the Van Ryn house?
4. How does Miranda feel in her room after hearing the story of Azilda?
5. Who does Nicholas tell Miranda not to listen to while they talk on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is given to Miranda just before she heads to her own home after the funeral?
2. What does Jeff do when he stays the night at Dragonwyck?
3. What happens as Klaas is brought forward to pay his rent to Nicholas?
4. What happens when Nicholas and Miranda are driving home from the doctor's office?
5. What surprising bit of news does Tibby have for Miranda when she gets home, and how does Miranda respond to this news?
6. What does Miranda do to try and convince her father to let her go to Dragonwyck?
7. What causes Miranda to feel guilt during the summer?
8. What does Jeff do after Johanna's death to calm his suspicions?
9. How does Ephraim feel about Nicholas when he first arrives at the hotel?
10. What happens when Miranda walks in to the doctor's office to have Katrine's finger examined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Peggy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alter the outcome of the plot? What happens differently if she is not in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)