|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Jeff plans to propose to?
2. How does Nicholas stop the river boat when Jeff and Miranda get on it?
(a) Hangs a red flag from the tower.
(b) Calls out to the captain.
(c) Jumps in front of it.
(d) Fires a shot.
3. What does Nicholas bring for Poe when he and Miranda visit him?
(a) Wine and Brandy.
(b) Some manuscripts to sign.
(d) A bushel of apples.
4. What about Jeff does Miranda find soothing?
(a) His confidence.
(b) His presence.
(c) His touch.
(d) His voice.
5. What is Miranda's favorite part of the hotel in the Pine Orchards?
(a) The people.
(b) The view.
(c) The luxurious accommodations.
(d) The food.
6. What does Miranda's baby die from?
(a) A heart defect.
(b) An ear infection.
(c) Poor nutrition.
(d) A collapsed lung.
7. How long does Nicholas mourn his dead son?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
8. What is Bronck's occupation?
(a) Business Manager.
9. Who is invited to the house for St. Nicholas's Day?
(a) The tenant farmer children.
(b) Government officials.
(c) The tenant farmers.
(d) All the family in the area.
10. Why does Jeff come home from the war?
(a) He is needed at home.
(b) He fulfills his commitment.
(c) He deserts his post.
(d) He is wounded.
11. Where are the Bentons from?
(c) New York.
12. Where do Miranda and Jeff move at the end of the book?
13. What is the name of the doctor called on to help Poe's wife?
(a) Dr. Fern.
(b) Dr. Franklin.
(c) Dr. Francis.
(d) Dr. Farcey.
14. Who does Miranda ask to come and live with her when she is pregnant?
15. Which of the following does Nicholas NOT do as a mentor to Miranda?
(a) Take her to cultural events.
(b) Supervises her reading.
(c) Hire a tutor for her.
(d) Buys her a new wardrobe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas poison Johanna with?
2. What does Jeff do to help Peggy?
3. What does Miranda know instinctively when she wakes up after the boat injury?
4. How does Miranda describe Nicholas's actions?
5. How does Miranda feel when Nicholas is away from Dragonwyck for a few days?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)