|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase had made Menolly mad regarding what Master Morshal had said?
(a) That she 'presumed' to be a harper and pretended to compose music.
(b) That she dared believe that a woman could be a musician and songwriter.
(c) That it was not a woman's place to be a harper and she proved it.
(d) That women were incapable of anything past cooking and cleaning.
2. What horrified Menolly about what Master Oldive said?
(a) She would never amount to anything.
(b) She might never regain the use of her hand.
(c) Beauty had patchy skin.
(d) She might never walk properly again if she didn't stay off her feet.
3. What did Master Jerint do that Beauty liked?
(a) Scratched her headknob.
(b) Tapped her headknob.
(c) Stroked her wings.
(d) Stroked her headknob.
4. What is Menolly to bring to Master Jerint?
(a) Her fire lizards.
(b) Her pipes.
(c) Her gitar.
(d) An open mind.
5. What kinds of sounds were indicative of workshop industry?
(a) All of these.
(b) The scrape of saw on wood.
(c) Toots and thumps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Master Shonagar mad at Piemur for?
2. Why did Menolly wince?
3. What was the difference between the way Menolly ate and the way the other girls ate?
4. What did Camo walk into because he was staring at the fire lizards?
5. What did Beauty alert Menolly to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to 'walk the tables'?
2. Why was rehearsal usually fun?
3. What seems to be the attitude of Master Morshal's opinion of women as harpers?
4. How did Menolly imagine life in the Harper Hall?
5. What was the positive outcome to Pona's vicious attack on Menolly behind her back?
6. What does it mean to 'rank' someone?
7. Who was supposed to give Menolly her first lesson for the day, and how was she to have been told?
8. Who was pleased to see the confounded expression on the face of Audiva and why was she confused?
9. Why does Menolly sigh when Piemur explains what it means to 'walk the tables'?
10. How does Menolly present herself as being possessed of quiet dignity?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)