|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Jakkin accuse Akki?
2. Why does Akki say no man will ever fill her bag?
3. What does Likkarn say Rum is using?
4. Why does Sarkkhan eat with the bonders?
5. Who sneers at Jakkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jakkin know something is wrong when he and his dragon are swimming at the opening of Chapter 14?
2. Who is Jakkin's Red's first opponent and how does Jakkin feel about that?
3. Describe the scene where Sarkkhan gives Jakkin a reward and why Akki gets upset.
4. What happens between Jakkin and Akki at the end of the story and what does Jakkin vow?
5. What does Jakkin do as soon as he realizes there is a drakk nearby?
6. What happens as Jakkin approaches his oasis and why does he trip over his dragon?
7. What does Jakkin leave with his dragon and what does he resolve to do the next visit?
8. How does Jakkin begin training his dragon?
9. Who gives Jakkin assistance and what does the person promise Jakkin?
10. Why is Jakkin momentarily disappointed when he arrives back to his oasis after leaving the kitchen, but what does he then remind himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbols are an important part of the story of Dragon's Blood. Some of the symbols carry over into other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire The Pit Dragon Chronicles is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. What other symbols do you see in Dragon's Blood? What do they represent? Are they effective as symbols? Would it impact the enjoyment or reading of the book if there were no symbols?
3. Other literary descriptive devices are the metaphor and simile. Define metaphor and simile and find an example of it in the text. Why do you think authors use metaphor or simile?
4. Do you think symbols and other descriptive devices are more important in a fantasy series where you have to conceptualize a different world? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dragon's Blood.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dragon's Blood. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dragon's Blood. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)